Virginia or other tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I smoked cigs for many years stopping several times but successfully about 14 years ago. When I was young I enjoyed cigarettes flavor, but the mess and expense made me want to stop. I restarted when my whole leaf and snuff tendancies led to the discovery of a lump on the inside of my gums then cigarettes became my delivery method once again. This time I disliked the taste, smell, mess, everything! :evil: So I quit.

Today, I enjoy the tobacco experience and flavors the pipe gives (and the lower nicotine levels too). I like English blends but gravitate toward VAs and VA/Pers. I do not like blends that come off as cigarette-ish in either the taste or the room note. I reminds me of smoking a cigarette :no: I am not a big latakia junky and perfer it in smaller doses. Every now and again I will have a jones for something smoky-sweet so I do keep it on hand.

bluedigital":p6hiqlnv said:
Watch the post my man got some coming your way, some local African blends :D
hell, you were talking about tobacco? i didn't know what you guys were saying! :D

bruins":poecita6 said:
bluedigital":poecita6 said:
Watch the post my man got some coming your way, some local African blends :D
hell, you were talking about tobacco? i didn't know what you guys were saying! :D
Bruins, BD doesn't like you man!!!!
He wants you off the board, and you will leave as soon as you smoke our stuff you will quit the pipe for good, bob will follow!!!
........as a matter of fact he is trying to kill you bro!!!!!!!!

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:
Just kidding,
Please BD, don't send me any bro, really ,it's ok, no really dude!!!!!

Piet Binsbergen":7gmcaxzr said:
okay, if piet won't smoke it, i'm starting to get a little nervous (because piet would smoke a cat if he thought he could get a buzz out of it!)

bruins":plj9zxts said:
Piet Binsbergen":plj9zxts said:
okay, if piet won't smoke it, i'm starting to get a little nervous (because piet would smoke a cat if he thought he could get a buzz out of it!)
NAAAAAHHHHHH just kidding Bruins, Strongirish is hooked on our stuff, it's VA mostly!!!!
Not half bad man!!!

It's not that bad really. Just that it's all we get at the local baccy shops here (Well that and MacBaren), I really enjoy Fox for a no nonsense smoke, burns easy and smokes really well. I'll send you an assortment to try. Smoke what you like and chuck what disgusts you ... uhhm or send it to Beebz, that's what Valky does
:lol!:

bluedigital":ntphizbb said:
It's not that bad really. Just that it's all we get at the local baccy shops here (Well that and MacBaren), I really enjoy Fox for a no nonsense smoke, burns easy and smokes really well. I'll send you an assortment to try. Smoke what you like and chuck what disgusts you ... uhhm or send it to Beebz, that's what Valky does
ha! i'm all for trying the african take on virginias. at least virginias shipped from the USA to SA and then shipped back to me should have some age on it, right! thanks BD! very cool!

bruins":8mmt8h7j said:
bluedigital":8mmt8h7j said:
ha! i'm all for trying the african take on virginias. at least virginias shipped from the USA to SA and then shipped back to me should have some age on it, right! thanks BD! very cool!
Thats putting it mildly!! :lol:

I never smoked cigarettes in any meaningful way (one or two bummed from a friend in a bar, decades ago). My favourite pipe tobaccos are English/Oriental blends and the like, with Burleys a close second. Virginias I don't much like, but I'm still trying; they may grow on me. Currently, I'm trying with Orlik's Golden Sliced and Escudo.

Jack Howard":7rpxc2lk said:
I never smoked cigarettes in any meaningful way (one or two bummed from a friend in a bar, decades ago). My favourite pipe tobaccos are English/Oriental blends and the like, with Burleys a close second. Virginias I don't much like, but I'm still trying; they may grow on me. Currently, I'm trying with Orlik's Golden Sliced and Escudo.
Jack OGS and Escudo would be a good place to start when exploring VA based blends!!
Good luck!

I picked up cigs again during the summer, American Spirits mostly. I still smoke them occasionally but I'm getting back into the realm of pipes again. I really like straight Virginias. I dabbled in Latakia blends for a while and still think I'll smoke them in the future.

Never did cigarettes. Went straight to cigars (Swisher's at first...Uggh...then to Hoyo de Monteray Excaliburs) and then to pipes.
Right now, I'll only smoke 3-4 times per week. And when I do, I have time for about 2 bowls.

Smoking is still a highly occasional and mostly social activity. I've enjoyed some absolutely sublime bowls of tobacco here and there, and they have come from a few VePer's and Va's, some light English mixtures (except that I LOVE Odyssey and Nightcap--still can't figure that out) and 2 very particular aromatics.

What I'm interested in is whether the former/current cigarette guys out there inhale their pipe smoke? I don't and didn't think anyone did, and then a couple of buddies of mine set me straight the other day.

Smoked cigarettes for years, but I do not inhale pipe smoke. No desire to...