Virginia reccomaendations

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterE

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all. I am curious to learn from you Virginia tobacco experts out there. I want to try some Virginia blends, flake, rope, whatever. I have smoked English blends (latakia) for ages. Dunhill EMP, Sokkebye Proper English, Squadron Leader are my general taste but I´d like to explore new territory. I would love to hear what you experts think are the "must try" Virginia or VaPer tobaccos out there. Super thanks! :D

Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake is a must try for a pure Virginia flake. Escudo is a benchmark VaPer.

Sam G's FVF as mentioned above. Also his Best Brown Flake is quite good. GL Pease's Union Square is tasty. I bought a tin of McB's Va # 1 a little bit ago and I am enjoying that very much. Those are all just Va.

If you want something a little off the beaten path, try Boswell's Dan's Blend. Mostly overlooked for whatever reason. Very approachable and easy smoking Va with a mild, sweet (perhaps vanilla?) flavoring.

Escudo is delicious, as also mentioned by Jhugget. Try it.

If you want to venture into VA & Oriental Land, try Embarcadero from GL Pease. Love it.

If you find yourself missing latakia, maybe try GLP's Chelsea Morning or Fillmore.

Also see Doc's recently posted benchmark thread:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/the-tobacco-jar-f2/benchmark-blends-the-list-please-chime-in-t8314.htm

I like McClelland blackwoods flake and va27 and McCraines red flake and ribbon. Also Rattrays HOTW and Marlin Flake and Old Gowrie. There are so many try them all.

I second the MacBaren Va no1. It is my go to tobacco. Some get a lot of tongue bite from no1, my dad is one of them, but to me nothing is better than a bowl of no1 and a cup of strong coffee. Peter Stokkebye Virginia is a very good ribbon cut Va. I have also enjoyed GLP Montgomery.

Being from KC I have always been a big fan of the McClelland bulk Va's as they are popular store brands around here. In bulk, their 5100 Red Cake and 5105 stoved are both excellent and if you blend the 2 they make for a terrific combo. In a VaPer their 2015 flake has been one of my regulars since I first tried it 5 or so years ago.

I just recently tried some bulk Stokeby's and both their Luxury Twist flake and Luxury Bullseye flake (a vaper) are really good, both contain a bit of cavendish for a slightly softer smoke.

In McC tins, their annual Christmas Cheer is a real top quality aged virginia that is very similar but just different enough every year to make me buy 5-6 tins to smoke one and cellar away the rest.

I have not smoked them much but do have a few tins of Rattrays in the cellar and they have some great Va blends as well. Many other excellent tobaccos have already been mentioned.

The ones I smoke that I would call "can't miss" (some already mentioned) are:

Dan Tobacco Treasures of Ireland: Limerick - A fantastic, complex VA with very little perique.
Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake - Great, classic straight VA flake
McClelland Bulk Blend 2015 - Rich and tasty VA/Per
A&C Petersen Escudo Navy Deluxe - A much loved VA/Per

I'd go with the Sam Gawith "Full Va Flake". Consider putting it away for a year before opening it. Most VA's are a little "young tasting" til' they've set in the cellar for a spell. You may want to try buying a tin of pre aged VA's from pipestud just to get an idea of what wonderful things can happen to them. As I type this I'm smoking some Escudo from waaaay back in 2001. It's pure bliss!

I'll second those mentioned above and add:

McClellands Dark Star

Ratray's Old Gowrie, Marlin Flake

Gawith and Hogarth Dark Plug

Davidoff Flake Medallions

My five favorite Virginias:
Union Square
Hamborger Veermaster
Hal O' The Wynd
Opening Night
Full Virginia Flake

I echo what many on here have already said. Escudo and HOTW are excellent introductions into the land of VA and Va/Per blends. I cannot comment on Gawith's FVF as I have not had it, but I understand it is a rather excellent blend. I would also recommend Orlick's Golden Sliced and Gawith's Perfection, both of which are in my regular rotation.

You must try "Two Friends Heritage".

It is a great Virginia, it's great fresh, when you receive it and it just keeps getting better and better with age!

Obviously I am not a VA man but I have always enjoyed from time to time, a bowl of GLP Stratford. It does have a small amout of Perique.

Thanks so much everybody!!!!! A buddy and I are about to make an order so I have plenty grat of ideas now!! :D
I will probably choose 6-10 different versions and report in as I go through them. I don´t have a lot of experience with aging tobacco (on purpose anyway), but that also may be a new facet to this hobby I might want to explore.
Thanks again all!

You should really try one of my favorites: Pipeworks & Wilke's "Dummerston." It's a pressed Virginia, a broken flake, and it's absolutely DELICIOUS. It's very lightly flavored, though I wouldn't call it an aromatic at all; there is a spicy-sweet undertone not unlike gingerbread. The room note is fantastic. The girlfriend is indulgent with me, but is a confirmed anti-smoker; however, even SHE requests that I smoke this because of the room note. Sip it at first, 'cause I can imagine that it might bite if not smoked properly. It's never bitten ME, but maybe that's just a good Virginia tobacco refusing to bite a good Virginia boy.... :)

Cheers!

--Christopher (SirGawain1) :study: