Virginia & Virginia Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stinger4me

Reaction score
After many years of pipe smoking I decided to try some Virginia tobaccos.  My first sample was MacBaren's Virginia #1 followed by Peter Stokkebye Virginia.  The MacBaren Virginia was more to my liking, smoked slowly there was no tongue bite and I found it flavorful.  The Virginia from Stokkebye seems very empty and hollow, bordering on "flavor-less" and why even smoke it.  I am curious about MacBaren Virginia Flake.  LNF, LTF and LBF are very good blends, so can't help but wonder about MB Virginia Flake.  If anyone wants to chime in here I will be ready to gather the input.  Thanks!

I find MB Virginia Flake boring. It's bland and without body. The vanilla topping is almost nonexistent. JMO. The only MB I like is the HH Mature Virginia. While it's not a flake it is rather tasty.

AJ

At the risk of coming off wrong, those are not very representative of Virginia tobacco (before it's pretty heavily processed & doctored up).

It can be a revelation to smoke G. L. Pease's Union Square for the first time. It's the only pure, nothing-else-added, nothing done to it Virginia on the market. Very subtle stuff.

From there, I'd try SG Best brown flake, Wessex Red Virginia Flake/Brigade Classic Virginia, and SG Full Virginia Flake to form an impression of the flavor spectrum of relatively "straight" Virginias.

FWIW

:face: 

Astley 109 is a broken flake and my favorite Virginia.

Yak":yp5v1brf said:
It can be a revelation to smoke G. L. Pease's Union Square for the first time. It's the only pure, nothing-else-added, nothing done to it Virginia on the market. Very subtle stuff.
I don't think it's the only unadulterated Va, as neither C&D Opening Night nor F&T Blackjack appear to have any added sugar or casing either. Perhaps a wee bit of added sugar in Blackjack, but for a European tobacco you could mistake it for something C&D tinned.

Yak":ujcodasy said:
At the risk of coming off wrong, those are not very representative of Virginia tobacco (before it's pretty heavily processed & doctored up).

From there, I'd try SG Best brown flake, Wessex Red Virginia Flake/Brigade Classic Virginia, and SG Full Virginia Flake to form an impression of the flavor spectrum of relatively "straight" Virginias.

FWIW

I totally agree. MB Va.'s are a poor representation of a good Va. I do think that Mature Va. is the best of MB's Va. line. F&T Blackjack and McCranies Red Flake and Red Ribbon are much better with Red Flake being at the top of my preferred list of straight Va.'s followed by Blackjack SG BBF and FVF. I've never tried any Wessex tobaccos but Yak you were right about GLP Embarcadero so I'll give the Wessex a try upon your recommendation.

I have smoked the Peter Stokkebye Blending Virginia before just by itself, and there was just not much there for me. It is really mild, and my inclination is to get it going way too hot trying to find some more flavor. Maybe you could use it to tone down something that you decide is good but a little "too much" of a good thing.

Gawith, Hoggarth & co Curly Cut Regular and Samuel Gawith Medium Virginia are my two favorite examples of a straightforward virginia with character and body but without anything that tries to divert attention away from the base tobaccos used. The reccomendation for Astley's 109 is a good one, and it's worth noting that you'd certainly not be led astray by following Yaks advice.

Worth mentioning too is the array of fine virginias produced by McClelland. Blackwoods flake, #27 and 5100 are all worthy of praise and much more interesting than MacBaren.

MacBaren does do burley well, however.

I haven't smoked a great deal of straight VAs but I have to say SG FVF is wonderful stuff. I can't imagine what 5 years on a tin would do to it. I'm drooling into my pipe right now as I smoke a bowl from a tin of FVF hardly a week old.

Now where's that pipe cleaner? I'm gurgling and it aint coming from the bowl.

I'm yet to smoke a MacBaren that's ever grabbed me, but I can say that #1 was markedly improved in my estimation by a bit of stoving. Still, there are so many VA blends that are outstanding fresh out of the tin.

If you plan on a VA tasting odyssey, here's a good assortment for you so as to sample a broad spectrum of the blends using the leaf...

Full Virginia Flake: While not my personal favorite, no list would be complete without this blend as it's widely considered to be the best tobacco ever made with more 4 star reviews on TR.com than any other. It's on the stronger, darker side.

Best Brown Flake: I've heard this blend called FVF's little brother. To me best brown belongs in the style of VA's that I refer to as "earthy." It is a bit milder than FVF but quite tasty.

Cut VA Plug: A brighter, tangier, grassy VA leaf. This isn't my favorite style, but it may be yours, and this is a good example of it

Jackknife Plug: VA+Kentucky...if you like MacBaren maybe try Old Darkfired. I've not sampled that one but it's well reviewed

Marlin Flake: VA+Cavendish+a little Perique...Luxury Bullseye Flake is in this genre as well. This medium strength blend has a dark, smooth quality that hits all the right notes with me.

Hal o the Wynd: VA+Perique...not as strong in perique as some but I like that fact and aside from having outstanding flavor, this is probably a good perique introduction

VA Spice: VA+Cigarleaf...this is really tasty, though I hear few folks speak on it

Sweet and Savory: VA+ orientals...this is a genuinely unique blend. It's likely you've tried nothing like it

Bishops Move: VA+Turkish+latakia...a recent blend I've tried that combines VA with lat in the background. I really enjoyed it!

Stonehaven: VA+Burley...The ever popular Stonehaven doubtless fills this slot. Though I don't get alot of burley out of it personally if truth be told. You do get outstanding flavor however.

Exhausted Rooster: VA+Burley+Perique...Now here ya get your burley along with a kick of perique. Not nearly as refined as something like Stonehaven, but flavorful in its own way nonetheless. This blend feels right at home in a cob while you sit on on a porh in a rocking chair.

Embarcadero: VA+turkish...a forum favorite, and also a bit different from your everyday VA

Rum Flake: VA+Burley+Lakeland...yet another completely different VA that is my favorite of those that make use of Lakeland essences.

sisyphus":0av55dxs said:
Yak":0av55dxs said:
I don't think it's the only unadulterated Va, as neither C&D Opening Night nor F&T Blackjack appear to have any added sugar or casing either. Perhaps a wee bit of added sugar in Blackjack, but for a European tobacco you could mistake it for something C&D tinned.
I was under the impression that Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation 1855 was a pure / straight virginia in the same camp as union square...?

This is getting numerous "Virginia plus . . ." tobaccos jumbled up with Virginias. Not good.

The tobaccos I listed are good introductions to what Virginia, pretty much by itself, is. The Wessex is played-with a bit, but within acceptable tolerances.

The Samuel Gawiths are Empire leaf -- Virginias grown in soils with relatively low nitrogen components -- as opposed to GLP's Union Square, which is Old Belt Virginia, much higher in naturally-present sugars, which are "fixed" in the curing process. (Stoving, steaming, pressing variations &c. all complicate the picture). And yes, Rattray's are also good European Virginias (much more played-with & refined. As is Dunhill. Un-"flavor added" Virginia can have an edgy quality that this tones down).

McC Virginias (not that the others except the US aren't) are amplified with extra sugar for extra sweetness. Which is nice if you like it but gives you a false read on what Virginia is.

Once you get to Virginia plus tobaccos (and nearly all Virginias except US have a smidgeon of burley added to fill out the bass register), you're off topic.

Northern Neil":xgy0gm4r said:
sisyphus":xgy0gm4r said:
Yak":xgy0gm4r said:
I was under the impression that Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation 1855 was a pure / straight virginia in the same camp as union square...?
If 1855 is that square tin flake in that series, it seemed to me to have a bit of Cavendish or something as I recall. I only sampled it briefly awhile ago but for what it is worth...

Yak":4d0krejq said:
This is getting numerous "Virginia plus . . ." tobaccos jumbled up with Virginias. Not good.

The tobaccos I listed are good introductions to what Virginia, pretty much by itself, is. The Wessex is played-with a bit, but within acceptable tolerances.

The Samuel Gawiths are Empire leaf -- Virginias grown in soils with relatively low nitrogen components -- as opposed to GLP's Union Square, which is Old Belt Virginia, much higher in naturally-present sugars, which are "fixed" in the curing process. (Stoving, steaming, pressing variations &c. all complicate the picture). And yes, Rattray's are also good European Virginias (much more played-with & refined. As is Dunhill. Un-"flavor added" Virginia can have an edgy quality that this tones down).

McC Virginias (not that the others except the US aren't) are amplified with extra sugar for extra sweetness. Which is nice if you like it but gives you a false read on what Virginia is.

Once you get to Virginia plus tobaccos (and nearly all Virginias except US have a smidgeon of burley added to fill out the bass register), you're off topic.

Well, I'm glad you cleared that up! Just think, only ONE Va blend/mixture in the WHOLE world without Burley or sugars in it !! AMAZING :twisted:  "... just the facts ma'm" :twisted: 

juanmedusa":emdugcv6 said:
Northern Neil":emdugcv6 said:
sisyphus":emdugcv6 said:
Yak":emdugcv6 said:
If 1855 is that square tin flake in that series, it seemed to me to have a bit of Cavendish or something as I recall. I only sampled it briefly awhile ago but for what it is worth...
That is the 1931 blend. The 1855 claims to be a pure, straight virginia.Erik Stokkebey's 1855

Howdee,

quick question...
As a stright VA, and Flake Virgin... Iv been eye'ing up Dunhill Flake. as i understand it, it being a VA flake.
Would it be suggestable to try this first? as an intro to both worlds?
(2birds with 1 stone, as it were)

Well, I recently picked up a tin of Dunhill Flake. The smell, to me, was of green olives. It had a briny/salty note. It took a wee bit of drying to avoid burn.

I have smoked some of the blending Virginias and they are bland. Not horrid or anything but bland. The Dunhill was a step above but only just -- for me anyway. It isn't bad but it isn't memorable. I can't see paying a premium

If you are thinking of a dark/unstoved VA, GLP Laurel Heights is a bit more tasty for me. It is a smooth smoke and, I think, that is what good VA is all about. They aren't trying to compete with a Balkan or drug store blend. They are what they are. Whether it is the DF or a VaPer or whatever, they are comfortable, sweetish, mild tobaccos.

Some of them with top dressing are pretty annoying smokes to my palette. I think they are attempts to give those who don't think a VA has the depth they are looking for a choice. There seem to be any number of good and varied mixes of natural tobaccos with a minimum of over treating. Then there are another group that blenders flavor in both steps. There is a place for all as proven by the ginormous number of blends out there.

With each viable blend having its adherents, it seems silly to come down with a bad/good ranking. They are what they are. Doesn't take that much to find something close to what we enjoy with modest practice.

For s "straight" Va flake mixture i.e. no Perigue or Lat or Orientals added, I find that one of the BEST , for me, is McClelland's Fragrant Matured 2000, often refer'd to as FM 20000 here, a nice fermented broken flake of ALL Red Virginia's. Another I would STRONGLY recommend would be the Christmas Cheer that McClelland puts out at this time of the year. It's again, predominately red va's with NO non Va 'bacs added. But order a couple of tins NOW as once this years production is gone, you'll have to wait another year! Get one to smoke now and another to "put aside" for at least a year or so. It's one of the BEST pure Va mixtures made by ANYONE :twisted: