virginias

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave_In_Philly":lxkofiei said:
McClelland's Blackwoods Flake was the first tobacco I fell in love with and I enjoy it just as much today. My other favorites are Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, and more recently I developed in insatiable taste for Rattray's Hal o the Wynd.

Those are my three must haves. I also enjoy Orlick Golden Sliced and PS Luxury Navy Flake, when I am in the mood for something lighter.

(HotW makes up about 75% of what I smoke an regular basis)
I'd have to concur with BW Flake and OGS for sure and would add probably the BEST Red Va blend/mixture available today, McC's 5100 Red Cake. It's sweet, full, smooth and NO BITE and you don't have to fold & stuff, or rub it out as it's a PERFECT ribbon cut so you just load and light ! And it's sold in BULK so you can get as much as you want at a VERY affordable price !!  JMHO  :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":lygnh0zy said:
[I'd have to concur with BW Flake and OGS for sure and would add probably the BEST Red Va blend/mixture available today, McC's 5100 Red Cake. It's sweet, full, smooth and NO BITE and you don't have to fold & stuff, or rub it out as it's a PERFECT ribbon cut so you just load and light ! And it's sold in BULK so you can get as much as you want at a VERY affordable price !!  JMHO  :twisted: :twisted:
I concur that the 5100 Red Cake is one of the best Red. Va.'s on the market. Those old boys up in KC know something about Va. tobacco. It may smell like ketchup but it tastes like something from heaven. JMHO :)

AJ

I'll likely get run out of town for this, but I find 5100 Red Cake to be remarkably bland. The only Va I've enjoyed so far is Briar Fox, and I know it is probably not 100% Va. I'm not disagreeing with the fine suggestions here, in fact I've tried less than half of them. But if you try a few and find they are not for you, Briar Fox might be worth a shot.
Mike.

I concur with the suggestions made here already. But I can't believe no one has suggested probably the finest straight ginnyweed of all time-

McC Christmas Cheer!

:bounce:

Cheers,

RR

The Christmas Cheer blends are great! Just not always available.

Old Nate":rc27jjqa said:
The Christmas Cheer blends are great! Just not always available.
This for sure ! It comes out the end of August and is all gone by the end of September !! :twisted: :twisted:

Solani Silver Flake
Rattray's Old Gowry (and Hal O the Wind...)

Top notch suggestions so far. I will echo Union Square, Christmas Cheer and Dunhill Flake. I will also add Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake!

Not sure about Hal O' the Wynd for someone making the transition to straight Virginia's. It's a little harsh to me. No sweetness at all, a little spicy, but overall very bland flavor wise. I'm jarring what I have and hoping it comes around in a few years... Now Marlin Flake, that's wonderful.