Visited Iwan Ries

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter5117

Reaction score
Last weekend my oldest son and family were home from Dubai. He was staying at the in-laws in Chicago so while my wife played with the grandson and visited with our daughter-in-law, he and I made the journey downtown to Iwan Ries. Despite living near Joliet for 3 years, I had never been to the shop.

Well, needless to say for those who have been there, it is the epitome of a man's tobacco shop. A single narrow door greets you down on Wabash Ave, and either an ancient looking elevator or a wide staircase bids you to the second floor, where a long wood-paneled hall takes you to the store proper. Inside, you are greeted by the smell of everything tobacco and wood. A long wood and glass display case in the middle of the store and around the outside display small items and the premium pipes. The walls are covered with pipes, tins of tobacco, and lots of paraphernalia and accessories. Signs by the pipes on the wall direct you to drawers around the perimeter of the store which contain dozens if not hundreds of more examples of what is on display. Everything is available to be handled and admired. The staff seemed to be very well acquainted with all the tobacco, pipe makers, models and and blends and the strengths and weaknesses of each.

We ended up spending just an hour looking around. My son chose a new Peterson for his small collection, and I bought him a few tobaccos for him to try. I settled for a couple of tins of snuff as I wasn't really looking to buy much for myself. We never did take even a quick look at the cigars and humidor. After ransoming back our car from the parking lot ($19 for an hour and 10 minutes) we headed back to the suburbs for lunch and a smoke. All in all a great morning.

Very cool! :cheers: That is a shop I would like very much to visit. I just need to find a way to convince my wife that going to Chicago would be a good idea.

When I go (ok, ok -once so far) its usually because I am flying in to see one of my suppliers. I catch the train right from the airport into the city proper and walk over to Iwan RIes. After I am done (okay after they kick me out with a bag of loot) its back on the train to the airport where I pick up my rental car and I am on my way. I cannot remember for sure but I think its around $5 for the train ticket round trip.

I can't wait for my next trip to Chicago which used to be a trip where I would rather gouge my eyes out witha rusty spoon. Now if I could jsut smoke in the room instead of out on the balcony.

You drove to Iwan Ries :affraid: !!!
How long did it take you to get in / out of there?
Six hours each way??? :p
I hate Chicago traffic......... :evil:

Glad you could make it there, I go there all the time and they're fantastic people! And the tobacco and pipes aint' too bad either:-D

My wife and I went to Chicago a few years ago for a weekend get away just before I went back to Iraq we stayed in the Hilton I believe right across the street from Iwan Ries. I thought I died and gone to Heaven when I walked in I have never seen so many pipes up to that time in one place. I was most inpressed by the kindness they gave to each person who entered the place unlike most of the shops my wife dragged me into the customer care at Iwan Ries was top notch. I have told many friends about this place we have made plains to go back there once I get back home from Iraq next year. For those who never been to Iwan Ries it is a must see.
Best Regards
Richard

The wife and I are on a sort of a belated honeymoon (just 25 years after the fact). Chicago is a great town, but it can be tough on any smoker (smoking ban indoors EVERYWHERE as well as outdoors within 15 ft. of any doorway - making it really hard to light your pipe in the "windy" city!). Anyway, I went over to Iwan Ries yesterday and it's truly all of the above and more! They also have a smoker's lounge where you are welcome to smoke your pipe or cigar. It's a BYOB affair, but the ambiente is just what any smoker's heart could desire. I dare you to go there and try and walk out empty-handed. I'll bet you a tin of your choice you can't do it! I bought a beautiful Vauen bent billiard with a honey-golden finish an a perfect bird's-eye grain. Picked up a pack of their VaPer Flake, which is terrific.

If you are ever in Chicagoland, make sure you pay Iwan Ries a visit! You won't regret it!

How on earth did you get in and out in an hour. It takes an hour for me to stop drooling enough to be able to speak. Yes, it is heaven.

By the way, they may validate for a particular garage. Probably reduce, not eliminate the cost. Check the website.

Why not take the 'L' to the closest stop, and make the hike? Interesting part of town!

Ozark Wizard":vu4oh11x said:
Why not take the 'L' to the closest stop, and make the hike? Interesting part of town!
That's what I did. It's just about a 5 minute walk at a leisurely pace from the Madison & Wabash Station on the Loop. BTW, the round trip fare from O'Hare to downtown is $10. Just buy a day pass with unlimited rides (also $10), then you can move about as you please. Way cheaper and way less stressful than driving in your car, finding a parking place and then paying for it! Save you money for the wares in the shop!

I'm just returning to pipe smoking after a seven year hiatus and couldn't wait to go back there. there's nothing like it! At least...nothing I've ever seen...or experienced. Hadn't been there in a very  long time!! As soon as I walked in I was spotted as a fellow piper...How did the guy know? funny how it happened. Douglas was his name and I told him why I was there. He proceeded to "fit" me for some pipes that he thought would be my style. Let me tell you...he was spot on! Incredible. I dont know who was more excited about it...me or him. I walked out of there with an estate Mark tinsky gold apple blast and a new Tim Thorpe rusticated prince. Of course I grabbed a few tins...the Dunhills (EMP and 965) he told me to put back....for good reason I guess. he said they're not what they used to be and suggested some Midnight Ride instead (one of my old favorites...again how did he know?) He suggested Ashton Artisan's blend which I think is out of this world amazing. I love Syrian Latakia.  I picked up my #1 Haddo's Delight and a tin of Old Joe Krantz because I love Perique and sometimes I just want to get a tobacco beatdown! Speaking of beatdowns...The city of Chicago, Cook county, and the state of Illinois were sure to throw in their financial sucker punches as well....this time it was worth the mugging.  

Anyone in the area owes it to themselves to visit this shop. It's worth the drive and the cost of parking (if you must)
Go see Doug and you won't be disappointed.
...my 2 cents.

Sounds like you made out like a Bandit Tully. Great to hear you had such a positive experience. 

Never been to the shop, despite having visited the windy city numerous times when I was a Cheesehead. Looks like I need to put this on the top of the list next time.

Cheers,

RR

Thanks, I'm definitely happy. I got both pipes for under $250. Their website is just the tip of the iceberg. I went in looking for two different estates...A Tinsky dublin and a little Castello sea rock...I never made it to the Castello. Maybe next time. There's so much more to the shop and so many pipes that aren't on the website...The Tinsky, which wasn't posted on their site, is a great smoker...Well taken care of and seasoned with an English blend...mmm...that Good English smell...probably why I HAD to have it. LOL!
The Thorpe pipe...well its new and has that char-paste bowl coating that I can still taste, but its a damn good, well made, wonderfully dry smoking pipe. Cant wait for the charcoal taste to go away....almost gone...maybe another bowl or two...I'm sure It's going to be hard to let this pipe rest.