Volks folks?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

19Volks71

Reaction score
Just wondering how many pipe smoking, air-cooled VW folks there are around here. Maybe zero. Or maybe that saying about 'birds of a feather' holds a little water. Pipe enthusiasts, we're crazy enough as it is, please tell me some of you also have keys to an air-cooled flat-four...

(AC Porsche guys are equally welcome to post)

...(Even Corvair owners for that matter)

... ... (Howsabout any air-cooled enthusiasts, flat-4, flat-6, flat-whatever. Four wheel minimum, though. No HD's)

My first car was a 1965 Corvair Corsa Turbo! Still have it too! It's sitting in a friend's driveway right now, but my father in law wants to fix it up so my kid can drive it...in 14 years! It was the only car I ever wanted as a kid. Drove it for many years and I still love it...
This one is very similar to what mine used to look like, back in 1985, only without the air dam, but same color and body.

Harlock999":bqg1grha said:
My first car was a 1965 Corvair Corsa Turbo! Still have it too! It's sitting in a friend's driveway right now, but my father in law wants to fix it up so my kid can drive it...in 14 years! It was the only car I ever wanted as a kid. Drove it for many years and I still love it...
This one is very similar to what mine used to look like, back in 1985, only without the air dam, but same color and body.
I'm drooling, my friend. I usually laugh inside at the Corvair guys, only because it was GM's attempt to compete with the ACVW. But that, sir, is a beautiful car. Allow me to formally request engine pics...

Or if you'd rather just send me the keys...

Well, mine is a mess now...
I really let that car down over the past 10 years. Hopefully my son's grandad can bring bring it back from the grave!

Harlock999":4y5eq7pr said:
I really let that car down over the past 10 years. Hopefully my son's grandad can bring bring it back from the grave!
Please, sir. I drove my '71 VW Super Beetle daily, to and from the gas station I worked at while going to classes full time. I would tear it apart Friday evening, drink, work on it Saturday day, drink Saturday night, work on it Sunday morning while drinking and putting it back together, then drive it to work and school on Monday.
My point is, it doesn't matter what condition the car is in. As long as you have one. That sets you apart from the Suburbanites... 8)
Air-cooled, baby. :twisted: It doesn't get much better...

19Volks71":9ug3893a said:
Harlock999":9ug3893a said:
Please, sir. I drove my '71 VW Super Beetle daily, to and from the gas station I worked at while going to classes full time. I would tear it apart Friday evening, drink, work on it Saturday day, drink Saturday night, work on it Sunday morning while drinking and putting it back together, then drive it to work and school on Monday.
My point is, it doesn't matter what condition the car is in. As long as you have one. That sets you apart from the Suburbanites... 8)
Air-cooled, baby. :twisted: It doesn't get much better...
Right on, I like your attitude!

I take it the current model made with Fiberglas, a radiator, and (gulp) AC doesn't count.
Lol

puros_bran":39ucdnyj said:
I take it the current model made with Fiberglas, a radiator, and (gulp) AC doesn't count.
Lol
Si, senor. Steel fenders. Cooling fan only! Absolutely no anti-freeze allowed. I've seen a few upright air-cooled's with AC mounted, so I can't rule that out.
I'm talking strictly to the roots of VW. In the manner that pipe smokers relate to the roots of tobacco ingestion. Air-cooled purists only.

Actually I think the cigar guys have a valid argument for being the purist.. Lol.
"Wood? We don't need no stinkin wood!"

puros_bran":zc7q6wad said:
Actually I think the cigar guys have a valid argument for being the purist.. Lol.
"Wood? We don't need no stinkin wood!"
Any cigar guy that can roll me a traditional cigar can be considered a purist. Otherwise, they are simply enthusiasts. Sorry. I don't make the rules.
All I know is that I can pack a bowl as well as the next guy and adjust the valves with the best of em'.

In the past I have owned three beetles and a bus. My last vw was a 2001 Sport new beetle. the car was turbocharged and it was very fast. It is no longer in the garage.(my wife took it when she left!) Back in the day JC Whitney was my friend.

I have owned three air-cooled VWs: a 1966 VW (6-volt), a 1974 Super Beetle, and a 1970 VW Bus (more commonly referred to as the VW Van). I loved them all and did everything to the mechanicals but rebuild the engine, but that was in my youth-- I no longer have the time or the energy to do an air-cooled justice, plus I don't want the "semi-automatic transmission" which would be required as I can't do a clutch any more (disabled, hand controls).

I had a 64 beetle, and a 66 Karmann Ghia, both really great cars. If the KG had been a convertible, I'd have probably kept it. There's something about those old AC VWs. Fun memories of both cars, and I think about getting another every once in a while.

I've had a LOT of other cars since, but am currently driving, and have been for almost 10 years, a 2000 GTi, and the "family car" is a 2003 Passat wagon. I'll drive my GTi until it's not drivable. At the rate it's going, that'll be a long time from now.

Years ago I drove a 1969 Beetle, bought it new if I can recall for $1,600. It was a blast to drive on the back roads, but had to keep the revs up in the winter to get any heat. Today I drive a VW TDI and really appreciate the 48 mpg it delivers.
Doc

My first 2 cars were VW's.. '66 and '70.... both were great cars, and if I could find an AC VW in decent shape that the owner didn't want an arm and a leg for I buy me another one.

I have a '73 standard Beetle (I'll try and get a pic up next week).

It's my pride and joy - when I drive this car I'm in a different, far better, world.

My two dogs, Otto and Knuckles, love it too.

I had a '74 Super Beetle as a second (or third) car back in the late 80's. Selling it was one of my more stupid acts. Wish I had the bug back now. Great beach car.

I had a '73 Super Beetle that was my daily driver back in college, mid-90's. Bought it for $500 and although it ran fine when I got it, it demanded constant tweaking and repair, but I knew that going into it and enjoyed working on it. Everything I know about the workings of cars I learned from that one and the 68 Stick-O-Matic Beetle my then wife later acquired as a project car (though we never did get it totally finished).

I'd love to have one again, more as a toy than a daily driver as I no longer have the energy or time to fiddle with it every week, but in my part of the country the supply is drying up considerably as the floor pans and bodies of the old ones rust away under the assault of too many years of rain, snow and salt. Prices for even cars that are pretty trashed are in the thousands around here, and a running model costs way more now than they did new.

One of my fondest memories, by the way, was riding around with my mom in her 68 Squareback during the blizzards of 77 and 78 when I was a kid. In an era when most cars on the road were big hunks of steel with rear wheel drive and no hope in the snow, we ruled the road in the lightweight, standard shift, rear-engine Type III. Of course we could have died of frostbite in that thing if we hadn't wrapped ourselves in blankets... :lol:

i have a '67 bug i don't really drive that much. it's a ratty little beast. has a 1600dp in it and i bought some dual carbs to replace the obnoxious progressive weber on there. it's lowered and all that. the pan is about 6.5" off the ground. it's fun, but not practical. i also have an '81 VW Diesel pickup. put a turbo on it too. fun cars! espeically the diesels. the AC ones have a certain charm about them though, don't they?

H4pYa.jpg