Volume of smoke question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ED_X

Reaction score
Being a long time (over 20 years) cigar smoker, I've noticed over the years that some cigars produce a larger volume of smoke than others (not counting the occasional stick that has a plug or other abnormality which effects the draw). Is there a particular pipe blend that is especially known for lots of smoke?

Thanks,
Ed

Speaking as a world famous expert, whose opinion is sought by connoisseurs the world over, heads of state, the cognoscenti of several continents...no, wait a minute...that's someone else. Having come to my senses, at least for the time being, I decline to answer your question, the reason being a) I've never seen the question discussed anywhere before, and b) much as I would like to give my opinion, it would be based on pure b.s. But you should not lack for answers, as there are other experts on this forum just as qualified as I am. If you should get an answer, please tell us what you intend to do with the knowledge. This is serious stuff. As long as you intend no harm, more power to ya'.

:cyclops: I find that the volume of smoke depends on many factors. I smoke just one blend (a personal one made up of different ready mixtures). The volume of smoke seems to depend on which pipe and how I pack it. One time just a wisp and another time enough smoke to fill a room. Good luck on what you're looking for.

Richard Burley":lpuaz1wq said:
Speaking as a world famous expert, whose opinion is sought by connoisseurs the world over, heads of state, the cognoscenti of several continents...no, wait a minute...that's someone else. Having come to my senses, at least for the time being, I decline to answer your question, the reason being a) I've never seen the question discussed anywhere before, and b) much as I would like to give my opinion, it would be based on pure b.s. But you should not lack for answers, as there are other experts on this forum just as qualified as I am. If you should get an answer, please tell us what you intend to do with the knowledge. This is serious stuff. As long as you intend no harm, more power to ya'.
Richard is right, there's little of value that I could add by trying to answer. The only thing I will say, and this is from experience, so no BS, is that the volume of smoke I get from a pipe has more to do with the way I'm smoking than what blend I'm smoking. I strive to keep it to a minimum while I'm puffing, that way I know I'm sipping slowly and patiently.

*shrug*

If you ask me, which no one did, but that's okay: too much smoke with a pipe probably means it's being smoked too fast, and likely the 'bacca is too dry--flavor loss and mouth discomfort potential. Smoke volume in a cigar, shockingly enough, is dictated by the amount of tobacco being puffed in a sitting (which is more than a pipe typically has available). If you're simply trying to find familiarity with the cigar versus the pipe, the smoke volume shouldn't be it...totally different kung fu, but kung fu nonetheless.

8)
crane style

Kyle having said what he said, I would venture a further comment that mouthfeel is something that is affected by the tobak you're smoking and, while not directly related to volume of smoke, affects how full a blend feels.

I do think, though, that I find some blends (Lats & Englishes) to produce a thicker smoke, which one may feel has more volume. Even in the same category, I can find some differences, ie..one Lat blend smokes fuller and one smokes thinner..I think might be the heart of your question...or not!

YMMV

This thread made me relize I have never thought about the volume of smoke from my pipe.

The only sense in which volume of smoke matters to me is taste. I've slowed down some but feel that I only get about one-third the taste in a sip as I used to get when I smoked more quickly. Thus every third or fourth puff I take a deeper draw. One deeper draw amidst some six sips still doesn't yield the amount of taste that I was used to getting but it is a significant taste improvement.

As stated earlier, big volumes of smoke is an indicator of a problem, however, smoke volume can vary with blends and packing method.

I find that Carter Hall burns a little faster and, therefore, produces a bit more smoke. I also find CH to be fairly forgiving in the tongue bite department.

Just my 2 cents...

Todd

deepbass9":yx8pcoya said:
I do think, though, that I find some blends (Lats & Englishes) to produce a thicker smoke, which one may feel has more volume.
I agree with this.
One night, a few years ago, I packed some Astley's 99 (full English) into a Danish freehand, went outside, then proceeded to smoke it like a demon, marveling at the huge clouds of pipe smoke floating all the way across the street (4 lanes!) before dissipating into the night sky. The next morning, my mouth felt...not so good.

alfredo_buscatti":tgx13qwz said:
The only sense in which volume of smoke matters to me is taste. I've slowed down some but feel that I only get about one-third the taste in a sip as I used to get when I smoked more quickly. Thus every third or fourth puff I take a deeper draw. One deeper draw amidst some six sips still doesn't yield the amount of taste that I was used to getting but it is a significant taste improvement.
Qouting from my page at 4noggins, John Patton/tiltjlp blends are drier than most, by design. Please try a few bowls the way they are, you might just be surprised. Then, if you wish to add moisture, please do so by filling your pipe and breathing into the bowl 4-6 times. Drier tobacco smoked slowly will offer you much more flavor than overly moist tobacco smoked quickly.

tiltjlp":hf6gtn2j said:
Qouting from my page at 4noggins, John Patton/tiltjlp blends are drier than most, by design. Please try a few bowls the way they are, you might just be surprised. Then, if you wish to add moisture, please do so by filling your pipe and breathing into the bowl 4-6 times. Drier tobacco smoked slowly will offer you much more flavor than overly moist tobacco smoked quickly.
Yak wrote a "Random" thread recently where I addressed just this, specifying your blends, John. I've tried rehydrating a little of your stuff I have on hand, in particular, Oriental Dusk and Storm Front, and they tasted totally different. Not worse, just...not as "whole." While certain tobaccos taste better with a little moisture, kudos to your stuff coming at the right humidity while smoked...having some Oriental Dusk right now, as a matter of fact. A small Washington cob-full will last me almost two hours. Time-warp slow smoking. :D

Drier tobacco smoked slowly will offer you much more flavor than overly moist tobacco smoked quickly.
Inarguable.

Overly moist = steamy.

But slow it down at normal tin humidity and it's a different story.

In a nutshell : with tinned/jarred tobac, absent enough moisture, the marrying/mending/ripening process is anywhere from impaired to a non-starter.

So why not dry it ? Because what you smell while you're doing that is what you're losing before you even get it lit.

:face:

Yak":fxo3h6xh said:
So why not dry it ? Because what you smell while you're doing that is what you're losing before you even get it lit.
More inarguable stuff, but not universal in my realm. I'm convinced there's something to types of tobacco in certain pipes mixed with certain smokers in certain areas that will vary this, be the threshold "too dry" or "overly moist." Given how much (and where) I travel, things truly change. California-side smoking applied with Nevada tactics yield surprisingly different results. Even if a guy designs and installs a high-end car audio system with all the nuances of noise reduction and near-perfect sound replication, it becomes a bit ironic the moment he wants to roll down the windows while on the highway AND listen to music. This seems to be a matter of justifiably choosing Country Western over Classical while driving.

The common point is the balance somewhere in-between, and only the smoker can discern this to its final end. Maybe something Greg Pease can address in an article if he hasn't already? If anyone has thoughts on this, he might.

The moisture = aging thing is apparent...the little buggers gotta move around and sustain somehow.

back to the OP.. I'm certainly no expert but if the same person packs and smokes SH Exotique Mixture in a particular pipe and then same person uses the same pipe and packing method with most other tobaccos they won't get near the volume of smoke.

Kyle Weiss":b29zgmtb said:
tiltjlp":b29zgmtb said:
Yak wrote a "Random" thread recently where I addressed just this, specifying your blends, John. I've tried rehydrating a little of your stuff I have on hand, in particular, Oriental Dusk and Storm Front, and they tasted totally different. Not worse, just...not as "whole." While certain tobaccos taste better with a little moisture, kudos to your stuff coming at the right humidity while smoked...having some Oriental Dusk right now, as a matter of fact. A small Washington cob-full will last me almost two hours. Time-warp slow smoking. :D
Also have to add that all the tiltjlp blends I've had are perfect at their moisture levels. It's a bit drier than most bulk blends and certainly most tinned. Yet it works fine for the blends he offers.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

:bom:

Cheers,

RR

Kyle Weiss":r9c35n7h said:
*shrug*

If you ask me, which no one did, but that's okay: too much smoke with a pipe probably means it's being smoked too fast, and likely the 'bacca is too dry--flavor loss and mouth discomfort potential. Smoke volume in a cigar, shockingly enough, is dictated by the amount of tobacco being puffed in a sitting (which is more than a pipe typically has available). If you're simply trying to find familiarity with the cigar versus the pipe, the smoke volume shouldn't be it...totally different kung fu, but kung fu nonetheless.

8)
crane style
Kyle,
That definitely seems to be the consensus from all the answers that were on point. Too much smoke equals smoking too quickly. Which was what I thought prior to posing the question. I guess when I want clouds of smoke I'll lite up a cigar.

Ed