Vulcanite stems

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SpeedyPete":skd7cwld said:
I believe there must be different kinds of vulcanite?
Definitely. I have a 1980 Gefapip bulldog that has a very troublesome bit. It not only discolors easily, but seems made of a "grainy" vulcanite that is very difficult to clean and shine. Looks cheap. Dunhills will discolor, but are relatively easy to slick up. Then there are a lot of in-betweens.

SpeedyPete":6b7l86mg said:
I believe there must be different kinds of vulcanite?

I have one particular Sav Punt Oro which I bought new from Wesley's beginning of this year.  This pipe's stem will stay clean after treated with Obsidian Pipe Stem Oil as long as I don't touch it.  But the moment I stick it between my teeth, the part that was in my mouth, turns yellow within minutes.

Then I have other vulcanite stems which give me little or no problems.  Others turn yellow/brown after a couple of smokes but when treated with OPSO, they are back to normal again.

Do any of the brothers have an explanation for this problem?
There are different qualities of Vulcanite and some have more sulfur in the recipe which will cause it to oxidize quicker.
Some carvers prefer German Vulcanite while others are leaning toward Japanese made I've seen. Yet it's hard to tell just by looking at a stem who manufactured it and what percentage of sulfur is in it, if you want to know I would ask the carver or manufacturer of the pipe before purchasing. I've never had a problem with any of my vulcanite stems but, I wipe them down after each smoke and wax them once a month with Paragon wax. Your chemistry is probably different and the acids in your mouth may contribute to the oxiding of your stems.

I can smell the difference between vulcanite and acrylic. And can taste the difference if the vulcanite is oxidized. I prefer acrylic for the low maintenance and neutral flavor.