W.O. Larsen Old Fashioned

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djf1

Reaction score
Its very bad to run out of tobacco on a trip and its even worse running out in Saskatchewan! My mistake of course, I thought I had packed a bag of FVF for thr trip alonsige a small bag of balkan sasieni which so far is the only tobacco with Latakia that I barely enjoy smoking. I keep a small bag of it for variety only. Well, I only packed the Balkan :oops:
So 3rd day onto my trip, I'm in Saskatoon and browsing the internet for a tobaconist. It looks like there are 2 of them, one as my luck had it was closed on Monday and from the looks of it the only serious pipe tobacco shop in the province... So I drove with low expectations to another shop in a local mall that I saw on the internet selling pipe tobacco. Not much of a selection, the usual stuff I cant smoke like captain black etc, very little loose stuff ( waiting for the shipment) and on the top shelf, lo and behold a stack of 2 different blends of beautifully packaged W.O Larsen blends! I have never tried one, so I thought what the heck, beggers are not choosers, so I choose the "old fashioned" blend which is Virginia's with Burley blend.
The blend is packaged nicely, the box looks great, the tobacco is packaged in gold foil. As soon as you open the package you get a wif of butter and caramel. The tobacco is loose longish cut and its not too moist.
I used my dublin Stanwell to light the first bowl, this tobacco is flatter than the aromas of the package, but very smooth and very mild. Overall a very enhoyable smoke for someone like me who enjoy Virginias. Around mid bowl I tasted butter and caramel to some extend which was very pleasant and kept the smoke interesting. It does tend to burn though hotter than I expected, so I'm carefull with it.
This tobacco certainly will gain a place in my rotation. Very nice indeed.

Glad you found something for your craving that you enjoy. Lots of the Danish blends smell very aromatic in the tin or pouch, but smoke quite nicely without being overly sweet upon lighting and smoking. It's a shame that tobacconists are so distant and few. Enjoy

Old Fashioned is my go-to for a little sweetness. Left to dry a bit, the Virginia really shines through. Glad you found it!