Walking and smoking.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
I've never done this. I'm sure I've tried it, but I don't do it, it makes no sense to me. I usually walk to get exercise or to get somewhere, so smoking while moving at a good clip seems a bad idea. I'd think you'd just end up with a hot pipe, dry mouth, and a coughing fit.

But....

This morning I'd had enough. It's been cold and I've been holed up inside too much. I've also not been working out the past few weeks because my hernia repair has been bothering me (translation, I lifted too heavy and strained it, again) and I really need to get out and get moving again. With the layoff from the gym and the holidays, I gained back a dozen pounds. I had decided to drive down to the river where there's a good set of bike/jogging trails and just take a brisk walk. There's a spot to park off the street where there's an entrance into the area (driving in is a fee parking thang) and from there to the boat launch area it's a nice brisk 30 minute walk in each direction on good trails. As I headed out the door I noticed a pipe sitting there on my bookshelf already loaded and ready to go, so I put it in a pouch, grabbed a water bottle, and headed out. Figured if it was too cold or I just wasn't feeling it, at least I could sit in the truck and smoke and enjoy some peace and quiet.

I walked to the boat launch, 28 minutes, a good clip and was feeling good. Decided to sit a while and light the pipe, why not. After a bit I just figured I'd stroll back and enjoy the sun that was finally beginning to warm the world a little, and I just never put the pipe out. I sauntered back intentionally, more interested in taking my time and enjoying my suroundings, and the pipe (Celebrated Sovereign in a Stanwell straight bulldog) was a fantastic addition. It was extremely enjoyable. I figured I'd have to dump it within minutes, but it actually helped me to slow down and enjoy things around me and it tasted fantastic on a cool crisp morning (was about 40 degrees).

This may be a new thing for me :)

I was in the same boat. Hernia recovery (direct hernia with laparoscopic mesh repair) is a pain. Two week recovery my foot... Walking is really the best thing you can do as far as exercise. Just try to not catch a cold. Take your vitamins. Coughing fits hurt. The good thing is hernia repairs are pretty "self limiting" depending on your pain threshold. If it hurts, stop. If it's sore the next day after exercise, take it easy for a while. Watch yourself during and "vigorous" exercise and don't try to be super-man. The 6 month mark is when most people start back to ab work. Mine still smarts after a year from time to time. I can tell the tacks are still forming scar tissue or pulling. It's usually because I lay weird or if I'm doing stuff like digging or chopping wood. And if I don't exercise, like this month...

Keep walking! And yes, for me a nice English in the cool weather makes it more enjoyable. Get a snap in wind screen and it'll keep the bowl cool.

Hereward":ynvrfg63 said:
I was in the same boat. Hernia recovery (direct hernia with laparoscopic mesh repair) is a pain... If it hurts, stop... The 6 month mark is when most people start back to ab work.
Yeah, I had mine scoped and meshed a year ago. I was lifting heavy in the gym 5 days a week before hand, about 2 months after surgery I started lifting light, then after about 4 months lifting heavy again. I kept tweaking it a bit here and there, and then I tweaked it really good in december. Doc told me to take a break for a few weeks, so I did. Now I have to try to find some way to customize a workout that will keep my from going soft and fat. I hate running (though I'll do it) and all I really enjoy is lifting, so we'll see what happens. What won't happen is anymore heavy stuff. He told me the other side will go out as well if I keep it up :x

Glad your up and movin and enjoying it.
I've thought about taking a stroll with pipe but I'm too lazy. I have however ended up pacing back and forth in the driveway when I cant get work out of my head

Good for you! :cheers: I do enjoy a slow walk with a pipe, during warm weather an in a nice environment. There's a place I frequent for sanity reasons that is very close to to the shore, and I love walking slowly past the boats, admiring them and perhaps indulging in some daydreams about sailing again, while having a smoke. Good stuff.

As I may have mentioned previously ;) I've found pipe smoking to be very conducive to calming and relaxing myself. Keeping fit is admirable, but so is simply soothing one's nerves and learning to do so "on demand," so to speak.

I also enjoy a brisk walk and have mileage calculated for several nearby "safe" routes. But at this point, vigorous gym-style physical activity often leads to tendonitis, the need to hide a limp from the easily alarmed wife and daughter, and 2 a.m. leg cramps which are very hard to conceal from said wife. Also, as a practical consideration, SUV drivers using cell phones are a problem in my neighborhood.

But a nice pipe after a brisk walk along a carefully vetted route followed by some yard work is a great way to celebrate being north of the grass, even though the steenkin knee smarts a bit. No need to worry about it, it doesn't hurt as much now as it's going to.

If I'm going out somewhere I try to take a pipe with me, but I have too many things to juggle with the dog, backpack or camera to try to perform a moving pipe smoking too, I cant imagine it'd be a very relaxing experience for me. But when I get where I'm going, take a break... I never regret I brought a pipe along with me.

Most of the time, my only time to smoke is while I am walking. I have about a 30 minute jaunt from the train to work, so I can fit about half a bowlful in that time. It really does help slow me down a little, and I can enjoy the walk rather than just commuting. I walk by the Willis (Sears) Tower, through Daly Plaza (famous by the blues brothers!) Under the L to Iwan Ries, if I feel like it, up "State Street, that great street" then cross the Chicago river at the Trump Tower, and around the corner to work. Chicago is really a cool place, especially to a transplant from places that don't even have streetlights.

On the way home, I can do the same with the bottom half of the bowl, then pack a new one on the train if I plan on walking from the train to home, about three and a half miles. just a little less than full with a ribbon cut for that trip. about half to three quarters if it is a rubbed out flake.

I like the routine, the exercise, and the distraction. (7 miles a day total, not too bad.)

Amen to all of this. I've got a nice half hour walk to work and it's always made better by a pipe hanging from my mouth. :)

i always smoke a pipe when i walk my dog, but it's a slow paced walk. i personally have come to like running, and it's helping on my pre-wedding weight loss. two things you could try are rowing (on a machine preferably) and cycling. low impact, high calorie and fun exercises. i'm partial to cycling, but rowing is nice because you work legs, tri, core and lat at the same time, and it kicks your butt with little weight. i'm slowly getting back into weight lifting, but i'm keeping it light until after the wedding. i already have very broad shoulders and suits either don't fit or make me look like i'm in the mafia :no:

also if you get healed up a bit more and can do some calisthetics (sp?), the whole "insanity" line is really good for getting toned. it brings up your cardio threshold fast, and if you mix it with some heavy weight you get great results. it also lets you work out for longer. slow twitch build up or some such nonsense. good luck on the recovery, and try not to go nuts while you heal! remember that lots of long term injuries are caused from not properly healing short term injuries.

Suggestions for walking with a pipe are to have a wind screen and a BIC butane lighter handy. Out of doors conditions make these a necessity for me. My zippo does not relight a deep bowl easily outside and a windscreen will keep the burn in check.

Though I usually enjoy a good walk with a pipe, since moving to Boston it is roughly the only way I get a chance to actually enjoy my pipe. Does not work every day, but when it does, it sure adds to my already enjoyable daily walks.

Hope you heal quickly.