Wally Frank Bullmoose Restoration

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piffyr

Reaction score
I have a bit of an ulterior motive for showing off this pipe. Before I get that though, let me introduce you...

This Italian-made, Wally Frank bullmoose was obviously well-loved by someone. They weren't content with building cake in the bowl and decided to build a fair amount on the rim as well. If a little cake is good, then a lot of cake is even better, right? Aside from being a filthy, little beast, it was riddled with faded fills that the rustication pattern barely covered, the rim had a sizeable chip above the bead line on the front (possibly another fill), the shank face was chipped, and the stem was tooth-marked.

Speaking of the stem, it had oxidized in a way that I had never seen before. Rather than turning the yellowish/brownish/reddish color that I'm used to, it remained black. However, the surface was pitted and it was rough and chalky to the touch.

Here's the pipe before the work:

b-wfbm01.JPG

b-wfbm02.JPG

b-wfbm03.JPG

b-wfbm04.JPG

While working with the stem, I think that I discovered the reason for the weird oxidation. After removing the deteriorated surface, I could see that the stem was flecked with tiny metal particles. From what I've learned in working with these old pipes, that means that the rubber that was used was probably produced during the war years when they would grind up tires, studs and all, to be recycled into new rubber. I've worked with a few of these before, but never one with this much metal. It's almost like a metal-flake paint job and the stem has a bit of a rubbery wet-look to it.

I stuck closely to the original color when restaining, but punched it up a bit to accent the grain. I really like how this one turned out. It appears to have almost a warm glow from within.

Here's the finished pipe:

zz-wfbm01.JPG

zz-wfbm02.JPG

zz-wfbm03.JPG

zz-wfbm04.JPG

Now, here's where we get to my ulterior motive. This pipe is not mine, but I very much wish that it were. I can't really tell you what it was about it, but I fell in love with it and I was a little heartbroken to have to send it home again. So, now I'm on the hunt for one of my own. I know that Tom Howard also made some of a very similar design and I would be just as pleased with one of those. So, if you know where one is or run across one in the future, I would appreciate it if you would let me know about it.

Fantastic resto job Piffyr! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I happen to have a very similar pipe in my collection, but I can't recall offhand the maker. Seems like mine is a Weber, but I could be mistaken since I have around 240 pipes now. Next time I go home, I will see if I can find it, and let you know exactly the nomenclature and dimensions.

You ruined it. That pipe was owned by a REAL pipe smoker, not some dilettante with pinky finger extended like we have so many of on this here forum thing. It had character; now the owner is going to have to break it in all over again, subject it to abuse, and generally not give a flying dang about the pipe. Hope the current owner has learned his lesson.

Seriously, now: stunning, as usual--or maybe even more than usual. I don't think this shape is hard to find. For example, here's one on eBay that caught my eye for some reason, although the asking price is too much IMO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Weber-The-Scoop-Imported-Briar-Pipe-5-1-2-Long-/321732170903?hash=item4ae8bb5497:g:2HoAAOSwBahVC408

Wow, fantastic work, all the way around. But I'm particularly impressed with the bead repair, which is invisible!

I think that you are correct about the issues with the rubber. I once worked on a British-made Willmer and after cleaning the stem, there was a tiny nub of rubber sticking out of it! I've since read they had to use lower-grade vulcanite at times.

b-wfbm03.JPG

zz-wfbm03.JPG

Dutch":cuu3feuh said:
I happen to have a very similar pipe in my collection, but I can't recall offhand the maker. Seems like mine is a Weber, but I could be mistaken since I have around 240 pipes now. Next time I go home, I will see if I can find it, and let you know exactly the nomenclature and dimensions.
Thanks, Dutch. I would appreciate that. I really wish that I had taken measurements when I had it in my possession. I meant to but I got wrapped up in the work, and then it was gone. :(

Richard Burley":cuu3feuh said:
I don't think this shape is hard to find. For example, here's one on eBay that caught my eye for some reason, although the asking price is too much IMO.
Thanks, Richard. It's not just the shape that's blowing my skirt up, but the finish as well; the smoother the better. A bullmoose without a billion birds staring at you from the rim kind of misses the point of the shape, in my opinion. There's a Tom Howard on eBay right now that's are very close, but with a rim that's more flat. I admit that I'm tempted, but at $60 shipped it's more than I can justifiably go since the Christmas elves have been pickpocketing me all month long.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301830764704

riff raff":re6lak8q said:
Wow, fantastic work, all the way around.  But I'm particularly impressed with the bead repair, which is invisible!
Thank you, Al, the rustication around the damage really helped. It almost paid to be a little sloppy.

I like the shape and have a few rhodesians and authors. None of them have the saddle stem though, Those are only on my bulldogs.

Nice pipe and great restoration.

That surely isn't the same pipe?!!! I don't think I've ever seen such a transformation on the BoB! That is truly impressive work, and on such an interesting pipe too. I'm liking it. Lots! I can see why you're after one for yourself. Good luck on your quest!

Looks like we have a wealth of competent and highly qualified pipesmiths here on BoB. And Piffyr has clearly established himself as one of those!

8)

Cheers,

RR

Another total stunner. Sick! As the youngsters say, intending a very high compliment.

Brewdude":xyhtaekf said:
Looks like we have a wealth of competent and highly qualified pipesmiths here on BoB. And Piffyr has clearly established himself as one of those!

8)
Cheers,

RR
I echo his sentiment. :cheers:

Brewdude":ymmfemfj said:
Thanks for the kind words, Brewdude, and to the rest of you gents as well. I'm no pipesmith though. Just a guy that likes to practice a bit of clumsy necromancy in his free time.

riff raff":b81kzko9 said:
I once worked on a British-made Willmer and after cleaning the stem, there was a tiny nub of rubber sticking out of it!
This sentence just now hit home (forgive me -- I'm slow sometimes). You mean that there was a bit of unshredded rubber poking out of the stem material? Wow! That's hilarious! Now, the question is; did you remove for aesthetic reasons or did you leave it as part of the personality of the pipe?

Piffyr":zr2cuwka said:
Brewdude":zr2cuwka said:
Thanks for the kind words, Brewdude, and to the rest of you gents as well. I'm no pipesmith though. Just a guy that likes to practice a bit of clumsy necromancy in his free time.

You sell yourself short brother. From what you've shown us here you are well qualified to call yourself a pipesmith!

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

Piffyr":swp75z9e said:
riff raff":swp75z9e said:
I once worked on a British-made Willmer and after cleaning the stem, there was a tiny nub of rubber sticking out of it!
This sentence just now hit home (forgive me -- I'm slow sometimes). You mean that there was a bit of unshredded rubber poking out of the stem material? Wow! That's hilarious! Now, the question is; did you remove for aesthetic reasons or did you leave it as part of the personality of the pipe?
I couldn't quite remove it, so it is still there! (member herbindave's pipe)

riff raff":ddnxqqn3 said:
I couldn't quite remove it, so it is still there! (member herbindave's pipe)
The pipe is better for it I'd say. That's something you don't see every day.