Walnut is a keeper-

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winslow":2j5jsuz3 said:
You can always use it to make an organic bug spray[seriously] to keep aphids off the tomao plants.My father smoked something called "Old Briar",it was a stout,cheap burley with a tin aroma of stout,cheap burley and my mother used to use it to keep ants away from the garden.

Winslow
I used to do that with cigar butts. (sun tea)
Nasty smellin' shit; no wonder the bugs hate it. :lol:

Say what you want to, Walnut has stood the test of time. I also seriously doubt that it is anything like it was in 1856 but my experience with Walnut has not been one with a lot of PG. Sometimes it is a little more moist right out of the tub than others but I have never detected a large amount of PG. I have rarely met anyone that declares that they absolutely don't like it after smoking it. Most people really like it and that is the reason that it has stood the test of time.

Like the signature says, if you don't like it, you are probably "insatiable". It might be better for you to give up the pipe altogether!

Wisely said Hermit, you may be allowed to keep your pipes.
Walnut had been a keeper for me, too (for years and years.) May I keep my pipes, too?
I humbly take a beating (but keep on tweaking.)

Hermit":cbo16x73 said:
I like it.
I don't like it like you like it, but I like it. :lol:
Smoke what you like and like what you smoke!!!!!!!!

I just happen to like and adamantly endorse John Middleton Walnut!

hi all walnut really good smoke right out of the tub or adding some latakia to it its my all day smoke and you cant beat the price on it

Justpipes":yb583uk5 said:
Say what you want to, Walnut has stood the test of time. I also seriously doubt that it is anything like it was in 1856 but my experience with Walnut has not been one with a lot of PG. Sometimes it is a little more moist right out of the tub than others but I have never detected a large amount of PG. I have rarely met anyone that declares that they absolutely don't like it after smoking it. Most people really like it and that is the reason that it has stood the test of time.

Like the signature says, if you don't like it, you are probably "insatiable". It might be better for you to give up the pipe altogether!
Here here!

Well, I have far less experience with Walnut than others have, but I have smoked 2 ozs, and I would say there's nothing even approaching PG on it.

Then again I'm quite sure it's topped. But there are many fine tobaccos out there that are topped, Marlin Flake, for example; GLP goes so far as to say everything is topped with something. Awhile back he said that he'd post about this but so far as I know, he hasn't.

Finally caught up to my son and confiscated two oz of Walnut.

To my likes and tastes, I still don't see any redeeming value in Walnut for me. It just confirmed what I intially thought, and it's just not a fit with me.

Gee, I'm sorry that I missed the earlier comments. But, I 'll add one more, if I may. Walnut is probably the most sophisticated of the OTCs, and has certainly withstood the changing tastes of American smokers. I mean, Walnut was the banner smoke of the Middleton Company, and it's still virtually unchanged since its introduction in the 1850s. many other blends have come with much more fanfare, and slinked out the door. Walnut has stayed. It isn't for everyone, clearly. But there are many of us who live in the house that the OTCs have built and really like it there, pleasurable and comforting. Oh, BTW, I am an ardent supporter of all things Middleton, and I will be counted as a Walnut smoker, more so now that ERRd has closed its eyes.

Just out of curiosity sake I would love to get my hands of an old tin of Walnut that has been sitting around for decades undisturbed.

I have a large unopened tin of Dunhill American blend that has a 1923 tax stamp on it. John Loring told me that it was probably from the WWII era when Dunhill had contracted a factory in Richmond, VA to package some of their tobaccos while their own factory was out of commission during the war. John told me that the tobacco would probably be fine once it is rehydrated. I found it at a flea market type place in a small town here in NC.

Again, I would love to find an old unopened Walnut tin from the time or earlier.