Wanting to learn a new skill

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benmarcum

Reaction score
So I am looking to start shaving with a straight razor. Where can i go to learn the tricks of the trade as this goes? I would hate to have to go to the ER my first time out.

badgerandblade.com is a great resource for classic shaving discussion.
Youtube is also a great resource for shaving information.

I think Youtube is great for visual aids. That's where I got all my pointers when I started shaving with a straight razor.

PipePuffer":bs5hi5dl said:
I think Youtube is great for visual aids. That's where I got all my pointers when I started shaving with a straight razor.
This. The important thing is to remember to. Take. Your. Time. You can't go too slow when you first start. I cut/scrape my face and neck more often with a "safety" razor than I do with my straight razor.

I advocate going slow also, and if one part of your face doesnt shave as well as you like at first you can always go back and touch it up with your safety or cartridge razor. It took me several times to get a really close smooth shave with a straight.

Wet shaving with a blade is great but you have to accept that you will cut yourself and bleed.
After awhile the cuts are more infrequent and you begin to feel that its second nature.
Invest in a good razor and a styptic pencil.
You can find supplies at a variety of web sites but I have found this site helpful:
http://www.classicshaving.com/Home.html
I began to feel comfortable with a safety razor after several months of great and bad shaves and now feel like a pro.
I have considered a straight razor but don't feel that its worth the increased effort/cost and increased medial bills