War and Peace

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxman

Reaction score
Has anybody read this classic, for fun? I'm debating investing the time, since it's very long. Been told it's the greatest book some have read?? Any thoughts? - Rxman

Well IMHO it does'nt matter if its a classic or not I read books that I have a interest in nothing could be worse than to suffer through a book he cant stand like a movie if I dont like the theme within about 15 minutes I turn it off and find another same with books if the first two chapters dont do it for me the book goes down.
Best Regards
Richard

I've read it twice...one six years ago, and again last winter. It's truly excellent, but a few words of caution:

1. It's more specific than general...everything is within the context of the French invasion of Russia in the early 1800s. If that's not your cup of tea, there's an awful lot of period detail that will probably bore you to tears.

2. It's an epic in every sense of the word. Tons of locations, events and characters (My God, there are so many characters) that all intertwine in various ways. YMMV, but for me it's not the kind of book to read in 15 or 30 minute spurts - it's just too easy to lose track of what's going on. If you're the "sit down and read for an hour or more at a time" kind of reader, you'll probably be more satisfied (if nothing else, it's good pipe smokin' reading).

I wouldn't call it the greatest book I'd ever read, but I can understand why some might. I certainly don't regret the time I've put into it.

It is worth the read and you will be making a commitment to do so. I found it to be very good on several levels - historically, spiritually, entertainment, but also found the last 150-200 pages to be a real schlog as Tolstoi droned on and on with his personal political, morality statements.

I prefer Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamozov as the greatest novel ever written, followed by some of Charles Dickens and Victor Hugo.

Thanks for everyone's input. I've decided to read the first 15 to 20 percent at least. If she sticks, she sticks. - RxMan

I read it in the Penguin Classics translation by Rosemary Edmonds about 20 years ago. A year or so ago, I started to re-read it, in the first English translation, by Louise and Aylmer Maude, but I'm afraid I ran out of steam about a third of the way in. However, my bookmark's still in it, and I may take it up again soon. I'd recommend it: it's a marathon read, but well worth it, and quite moving in places.

Just started to break in. Got it for Christmas from the fiancé's family who are of Russian descent my copy has wonderful footnotes throughout and It helps that I have a bit of French language learning. Still daunting in scope but I am determined to get through.

When a book is this substantial with so many characters, I'd say it's okay -- just in self defense -- to read with a detailed plot summary handy, either in print or on the Internet. (I don't mean instead of the book.) Remember that Tolstoy believed the justification of fiction was to teach Christian morality to the peasants, so he can come on a bit heavy handed. He hated Shakespeare, because The Bard often punished the good and rewarded the bad or blurred the distinction between the two. Hamlet for examp . . .

I'd say it's most definitely worth a read. I'd share the comments of other brothers in saying that it can be a little long winded at times, there is a lot to do with how to live and how not to live. Where it really shines is in Tolstoy's depiction of the characters he creates in their various mental stages. When he described love between two protagonists, I felt very much like he had shared my own experiences, that's not to say that I'm a romantic, but he understands human nature very well and the text itself if you're not a fan of didacticism is full of cheery wisdom, almost like an unlce is relating old knowledge to you. It's worth sticking with mate! Hope it's going well!!

I started reading it for the first time several months back. I got about 15% through and was absolutely loving it. Unfortunately, life got crazy and I had to put it down for about a month. When I recently went back and started reading, I found myself lost. There were just too many characters that I had forgotten about and could no longer keep track of. So I'll have to go back to it someday when I know I'll have a good 2-3 weeks to read that I'll be undisturbed.