wax for polishing stems

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nogbert

Reaction score
what is a good product that i might find in a grocery store/ non specialty store for polishing up stems (by hand... no room for a buffing wheel in my apartment :p )

i have the magic eraser, but after using it i have nothing to return my stem to a gloss/protect it from further oxidation

what shall i do?

Chap-Stick. Seriously. Avoid the flavored kinds, but UV protection doesn't hurt.

do i just smear it on and polish with a cloth? any special technique?

That's about it, though I should warn you that if it's dulled from scrubbing you may have more work ahead of you that a simple coat of wax.

I like using chapstick. SPF factor helps the vulcanite stems keep a little more shiny and black.

I have yet to try Obsidian Oil, but I hear it's also effective.

Otherwise, carnauba wax on a buffing wheel usually is a good "base coat" that smooths everything out.

Then chapstick.

*shrug*

8)

Grape seed oil. Natural anti oxidant and it's a polomerizing oil in which will help prevent mild abrasion.

If you want super-shiny, the micro mesh is the only ticket. The 12000 grit paper yields a finish that shows scratches that are not visible to the naked eye. I finish with a little "Blue Magic" plastic polish found in auto parts stores (Meguiars also makes a similar product). Buff on with a cloth and some elbow grease. I think this keeps my stems from oxidizing as fast. At least I'm one of the few James Upshall pipe owners that doesn't complain about oxidizing.

I usually have no problem with oxidation, unless the stem was somewhat dull to begin with when i got it.

all my other stems are still black as can be.

Good article find, Nog. I may use that along with buffing wheels, only because I have heard chemical treatments don't last quite as long as doing it the "elbow grease" way... but, it was information and step-by-step on the chem process I hadn't read before. 8)

Kyle Weiss":tpjlay5w said:
Good article find, Nog. I may use that along with buffing wheels, only because I have heard chemical treatments don't last quite as long as doing it the "elbow grease" way... but, it was information and step-by-step on the chem process I hadn't read before. 8)
i would hesitate a bit with the oxyclean step... because im pretty sure that would destroy any markings on the stem so care would need to be taken to avoid this

its just nice to know a mirror finish can be achieved without power tools :D

Meh, anything I'd need to do that much serious chemical effort toward are likely not pipes that I care much for the logo, or they're no-namers. Plus, logos that are imprinted can be made to stand out again with a li'l white out or white crayon. *shrug*

8)