We had a TSUNAMI!!!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thistleoak

Reaction score
Well to be truthful a tiny Tsunami,  still came out of nowhere and was a little freaky.  I had just finished an account that is a block and a half from Lake Michigan, had just got in my work truck and was finishing out my service report of the location and I felt the truck bump and shimmy, I was like "what the Hell was that???" Looked up from typing my report looked out the window and there was water up to the running boards of my F150. Lake Michigan had rose 4-8 ft in different areas along the coast line.  The water rolled out of the beach parking lot by the play ground and right down the hill on ludington Avenue... this is a picture to show the water rising before it past the beach and hit the Avenue.   Look at the break wall to see scale of water rising in just 5 minutes. Weather service called it a Meteotsunami.

Well I'll be hanged! You must've had a small quake epicentre somewhere under like Michigan then. First I've ever heard about that occurring on a great lake!

:shock:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":3mq5kel8 said:
Well I'll be hanged! You must've had a small quake epicentre somewhere under like Michigan then. First I've ever heard about that occurring on a great lake!

Cheers,

RR
They said it was due to extream pressure change

pepesdad1":h78p9aw6 said:
Damn...that is scary!
That is scary. Almost as scary as seeing you posting again. :affraid: In addition to this, it’s a great surprise, and I’m delighted beyond words. Looking forward to reading your posts again. Welcome back my old friend. :cheers:

AJ

Wowsers! Low pressure differential? I'll have to look into that. Crazy stuff! Good to here you didn't get swept away. Ford's don't float long......

Thistleoak":ujtcl1xw said:
Brewdude":ujtcl1xw said:

Cheers,

RR
Never heard of that before. Was this event localized to your area Alex, or was it more widespread? I'll have to ask my fiends in Milwaukee if they had this same experience.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":iq4xrvhb said:
Thistleoak":iq4xrvhb said:
Brewdude":iq4xrvhb said:

Cheers,

RR
Never heard of that before. Was this event localized to your area Alex, or was it more widespread? I'll have to ask my fiends in Milwaukee if they had this same experience.

Cheers,

RR
Yes please ask them if they had anything like that on their side of the pond. Both ludington and manistee 45 miles up the coast had this happen.

Thistleoak":mdl887kw said:
Brewdude":mdl887kw said:
Thistleoak":mdl887kw said:
Brewdude":mdl887kw said:

Cheers,

RR

Cheers,

RR
Yes please ask them if they had anything like that on their side of the pond.  Both ludington and manistee 45 miles up the coast had this happen.
Just sent out a query to my friends in the Mil, WI area. I'll lyk what they say.

Cheers,

RR

I read that they happen often, and on all the Great Lakes. Fracking amazing planet! I've seen smaller events like this on mountain lakes when a squall piles down the ravine. Crazy stuff though on the Great Lakes.

Never in all my years of living 10 minutes from the big pond have I seen or heard of it before. Saw a video DNR posted showing the ausable river flowing backwards from the lake during the mini tsunami

Interesting stuff. I never "trusted" the Great Lakes, even though I learned to swim in one. They just seem creepier than the ocean. I think of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Make sense? Of course not, but there it is.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E-dlyTt8TVk" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Lake Michigan is about 10 miles North of one of my accounts in NY. Every once in a while, I'll drive up just to see the lake. Even on a nice day, it's seems ominous to me. Last summer, a giant storm below up and it looked frightening. That town had a small concrete pier like pictured above and it was engulfed in waves. They had a lot of flooding that summer and sandbags were everywhere. I headed South fast!

Yup we live on a fascinating and complex planet. Glad to see you're safe though Alex. :)