Weight of pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
This is not a trick question.
I don't know the answer.
If you have two pipes that look identical but one weighs about 30 grams more that the other which would you choose?
I believe that one answer is the lighter one because the briar was better cured and it is more likely to be a better smoker.
Any other answers?
Bub

Too many "depends" mfg., micro-climate, carver, process of aging, nowadays the best pipes come from Cantu, Italy,old days Algerian briar which is far more dense than Italian briar, hope that helps, Ken :tongue: :rendeer:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: :santa:

Agree w/ pipetongue.

"Heaviness' or "relative heaviness" (= density) could come from the material itself - slower growing wood it more dense, for example, or it could come from poor curing. Wet wood weighs more than dry wood.

So all things considered, I buy a lighter pipe if the weight is going to be an issue (on a long, straight pipe for example).

But on a full-bent, or a featherweight pipe, a few grams won't be noticed.

BTW, I agree with the assessment that Algerian is generally more dense than some of the Italian stuff (other briar out of Italy has been extremely dense) but it certainly offers a top class smoke.

In other words, weight will tell you very little about a pipe, other than the weight of the pipe. ;)

I don't think the weight will tell you how the pipe will smoke, but typically I don't buy pipes over 50g... they are just too big and heavy for me.

Weight should matter primarily in relation to your smoking habits and preferred pipe shapes, as some have noted. There is no absolute truth about comparative weights and quality of smoking behavior. Of two pipes otherwise identical, including identical in age, I'd choose the lighter of the two, but mainly because I know that it will wear on me less in smoking it (and not because I take myself to know that it will smoke better).

Weight is an inmportant crieteria in choosing a pipe not because of density but because of comfort. If I cannot comfortably clench a pipe, I won't buy it. The old Patent Dunhills are great smokers because of the quiality of briar and acheiving light weights. I guess this is why I enjoy my little collection of Patent Canadians, cool long smokes, lightweight and good balance.