Weird request (Aromatics)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey-smokey

Reaction score
I need help from a pipe smoker who is almost entirely into aromatics, has sampled countless aromatics, prefers aromatics over all else, and is well versed in them. While I guiltlessly enjoy aromatics, my explorations in the world of tobacco has taken me in different directions, here's where I need help.

There is a local pipe/cigar shop in my area that sells a few bulks. The best seller is a blend that, supposedly, is a custom blend made by the original owner and the recipe is a secret... Could be the truth, who knows, but from experience the vast majority of smoke shop owners who carry "custom blends" basically just relabel bulk blends, the only thing custom is the name. I suspect the real secret in this custom blend is the real name.

I really like this "custom blend" aromatic and have been smoking it quite a bit for a number of years, back when the original owner was around. Normally I don't like the mystery weed approach and, though I will continue to frequent that smoke shop, I would like to know exactly what it is that I've been smoking all these years. In other words, I am not entirely convinced this is a secret recipe custom blend.

What do I need?

I need an expert in aromatics. I will send you an ounce or so, you smoke it and tell me if this is a blend you have encountered in the past and what it is.

Any takers?

I should clarify that whoever is doing this should be in the U.S. because I don't want to pay a million bucks in shipping and don't want to bother figuring out taxes and such.

You are right in your observation that most local shops relabel, but there are a few that do indeed house their own (i.e. Nat Sherman, Barclay Rex)

I would consider myself one who smokes primarily "aromatics", even if I have other types commonly considered "non-aromatic" however 12 yrs may not be long enough and I don't have as developed a palate as many here.

With that said, there are SOOO many aromatics out there, it would be hard to tell. I've sampled a good deal, but because there are so many I forget what some of them taste like and I would need that tobacco on hand in order to compare it. Your tobacco would have to be so unique in it's casing/topping that there would only be a handful of options.

I had something similar to what you're experiencing, but instead of finding the one I was looking for, by sampling all the other aromatics out there I found even better one's.

I'd love to help but I'm not sure I would be the best choice and I don't know many aromatic smokers here.

If I smoked more aromatics, I would help. I only keep a blend of 1-Q & RLP-6 on hand to smoke when I am around non-smokers. Here are some options for you.

Each time you go to the shop order a named Lane blend. Watch for him to open that jar. It could be something as simple as 1-Q or RLP-6.

Or ask which of these blends they carry....tell them you want to try an assortment of these. A little intelligent conversation and the veil is removed.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/brand/35/lane-limited

Consider ordering the highest rated of these online and see if you can spot the match. It sounds like a fun process. Good luck!

Ignore this post. J Soshae above said it better, but this was already written, and I don't like to waste my literary gems:

It's probably an iteration of Lane's bulk, perhaps 1Q, and custom in the sense that he's taken some of his other offerings and mixed them with it, assuming it's not straight 1Q.  Just playing the odds--you said it was the best seller, right?

Good suggestions above.
I can tell you for sure it is not 1-q or RLP because I keep those at hand.

Well, I guess Mystery Weed it is.

It could also be a rebranded Stokkebye bulk...that seems to be the most common after the Lane products.

Can you post a picture of the tobacco? Also, can you describe the aroma/taste a bit? I used to spend a lot of time with bulk aromatics, so if it looks/sounds like something in my former ballpark, I might be able to help you out .