Welcome Stan!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taharris

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
We have a new member!  

The silver smith who collaborated with me on my recent pipe is also an enthusiastic pipe smoker and has agreed to leave the 70's and join an internet forum!

Welcome "standaman".  Please tell us more about yourself.

Todd

Thanks for the welcoming! Todd correctly described me as a product of the 70's. I'm 57 years old. I'm a jeweler and artisan goldsmith since 1978. I bought my first pipe when I was 15 years old. Collected pipes sporadically over the years, but got really serious about it around 2005, after spending years as a premium cigar smoker. Being a fan of everything Peterson, I began to make my own sterling silver adornments to pipes that I owned that seemed to be incomplete to my eye. Always wanted a Peterson 106 Billiard with a silver cap with the hinged windscreen, but didn't want to pay the price. So I bought a nicely grained 106, and hand made my version, closely styled after the Peterson factory silver. The result was pretty satisfying. I began to think that I might be able to offer my skills as a Silversmith to others in the pipe world, as a way of contributing to this wonderful hobby. I even made my own pipe, entering a pipe carving contest for GREENTREE Tobacco, a South Jersey tobacconist. I made your basic 70's style freehand with plateau from the supplied pre-drilled block. Once the drummer was complete, as a jeweler I couldn't resist marking it with a 14kt white gold script initial S, inlaid in the bottom of the shank, and set a quarter carat round diamond in a white gold bezel in the preformed faux Amber acrylic bent stem. It tied for first place in the contest. But I am clearly not a pipe maker (yet). My medium is metal. So now I've been showing my work to people, especially artisan pipe makers like Jesse Jones, Trevor Talbert, Michael Lindner and others. Thanks to the incredible generosity of my friends Scott Townsend and the amazing Jesse Jones over at Blue Room Briars, I collaborated with Jesse to create a simple stem band he wanted, to reinforce the delicate mortise end of the shank of a gorgeous Morta Prince shaped pipe with a blue German ebonite brindled stem. I made a special stem, fell in love with it, and bought the pipe before I shipped it back to Jesse. Mr Jones generously introduced me to Todd Harris, and since I've made my first collaboration with him, in the Sterling silver bowl cap with the rope trim on his gorgeously grained, man-sized billiard. Todd generously introduced me to the world of pipe forums after posting his creation and receiving much totally expected praise for his work. Along with that came additional praise for MY work as well. I'm grateful to Todd and Jesse for allowing me to add a little something to their artwork. But selfishly I appreciate having their beautiful work act as a showplace for my work. I'm trying to get my name and my capabilities out there to the artisan pipe making community and pipe collectors and buyers in general. I can make pretty much anything that a person could want in silver, or gold, or brass, or copper, for your pipes. It's a higher level of my hobbyist connection to the world of pipes. I hope to be able to get to know many of you who may have tolerated to read this "Novella" of an introduction. Thanks!

Stan, welcome to the BoB and thanks for sharing your story. Looking forward to seeing some of your work in the future.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Welcome to the BoB stan... and im with yotie , thank you for your introduction.   Its much easier to strike up convos when we have a back story :)  not gonna lie... was a little worried that you were hanging out with such a nefarious character like Todd ;) 

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Welcome to the best pipe forum of the Internet, Stan! We might not be the biggest, but we're a tight knit group that is pretty low key.

Thanks for the praise in your intro. I've still got all sorts of projects lined up for us to collaborate on, so get ready!

Welcome to the board Stan. It sounds like you're going to fit in just fine. I think I've seen your work and was very impressed. Looking forward to seeing how your ideas develop.

Thank you all for your warm welcome! I must ask for your patience with me while I learn more each day about how to use this forum. I'm a bit of a throw-back. Sort of I.T. challenged but I'm sure I'll get it all down fairly quickly. To "Stick", I'm wondering where you may have seen my work? I'd love to know. As soon as I can figure out how, I'd like to post pictures of my work so far. Some of it is my personal pipes (beautifully photographed by Scott Townsend) and the rest are various projects that I did for other folks (taken on my IPhone). I didn't fill out my profile very well,but just know that I am a true pipe geek to the bone! Afflicted with both PAD and TAD, I have an obscene collection of both newly bought, and estate pipes, and too many boxes filled with tobacco. If the bomb drops tomorrow (God forbid!) I will have enough of both pipes and tobacco for the rest of my life. I mostly avoid Aromatics. English, VA, Va/Per is my comfort zone, but I try everything. I want to know as much as I can about this fascinating hobby, and may ask for help now and again. As much as I've learned, there's so much more to know. Thanks and please accept my warmest wishes for a great Thanksgiving Day feast!!

Stan Nigro

Welcome to the BoB! Glad to have you on board. I'm quite sure that it won't be long before I'll be holding an example of your skill in my hands. Isn't that right Todd? :)

AJ

AJ":s65igvvo said:
Welcome to the BoB! Glad to have you on board. I'm quite sure that it won't be long before I'll be holding an example of your skill in my hands. Isn't that right Todd? :)

AJ
As a matter of fact I was planning to work with Stan on your project.

He and I need to work out the details.

Todd

Well here I am, a new member and all I can say is "We're not in Kansas anymore Toto!" I would love to post pictures of my silver work, but I simply have no idea how to do that. Is there a school somewhere that I can go to? I'm sure I'm not the first new member with this frustration. I feel like I've been dropped into a foreign country and I just don't speak this language! HELP!!

standaman":tna3wpt0 said:
Well here I am, a new member and all I can say is "We're not in Kansas anymore Toto!"  I would love to post pictures of my silver work, but I simply have no idea how to do that.  Is there a school somewhere that I can go to?  I'm sure I'm not the first new member with this frustration.  I feel like I've been dropped into a foreign country and I just don't speak this language!  HELP!!
Stan, first you'll need to have 30 posts and 30 days under your belt before you can post pics. And here's a thread on the basics of how-to:

http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t32722-how-do-i-insert-pictures-in-a-post?highlight=How+to+post+photos

You also might need a hosting service like photobucket.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

Thanks Brewdude for the help. I kind of caught that 30/30 rule, and I read something about photobucket in the DIY section. I'll check out that link after I start breathing again after the Thanksgiving debauchery. Hope you had a good one too.

Stan