Well Brothers, I guess my pipe smoking days are over now

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjwmsu

Reaction score
Arrived back home last night after my Christmas present of a surprise Christmas night quadruple bypass. I've been advised to give up all forms of tobacco. I was a heavy smokeless snuff dipper. A maybe 1 bowl pipe man and really only that much in the spring and fall( best outside time to smoke in Mississippi)
My doctors have said this was all genetic related, not caused by the tobacco, but it was a factor.

I'm 44 years old, and blessed to be alive after I survived the "Widow Maker", so called because it
gives no warning, but for some reason, it did me.

I'm blessed, but I'm so depressed.

I am heavily addicted to the smokeless snuff, but, while the idea of never being able to dip again sucks, it's not depressing me as much as the thought of the nightly pipe ritual with the grill at home, or on the porch or dock at the Lakehouse.

Anyone else had to give it up for similar reasons?

How did you cope with it?

Thanks

Well, you're 44 so you still have plenty of years ahead. Follow your Dr.'s advice...find a new pass time, but replacing the pipe is something I could never do personally, so...good luck.

...as you stated...could have been much worse...I've often thought of what I would do if I was in a similar situation...still ponder that...given the options, it appears you have made the right, yet somewhat depressing, decision. While I don't use smokeless tobacco, I have been an avid pipe smoker since age 9, therefore I can appreciate your situation and simply wish you the very best in your recovery and continued best wishes for good health in the years to come...

Turn the page and move on. Don't look back: no regrets.

I find it a pleasure smoking a pipe but there are other pleasures in life.
Never thought I'd give up skiing or bicycling but there you are.

When my first attack struck at 37 it was the widow maker. You've got a tough decision to make. I'm still smoking after five attacks and I'm 63 now. My doc's say I inherited the problem too and that quitting won't help and 1 or 2 bowls a day won't hurt. You'd probably be wise to quit. That's something I've never been accused of being.

I hope you recover swiftly, though I'm sure it won't be a problem. I don't know about the whole pipe thing honestly. A bowl a day shouldn't be a health risk, considering it is a genetic issue. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a doctor who would say that moderation is advised as opposed to quit altogether. It's kind of a standard of practice these days.

Glad to hear you survived. Get rid of everything related to tobacco and move on my friend. There's lots of life left in you yet.

If it had happened to me I'm not sure what I'd do to be completely truthful.
Probably what I shouldn't. Your a live and assume wish to stay that way a little
while longer, so I would suggest doing what you should do........out live the
rest of us. ;)

Each person, of course, must weigh their own risks but a little over 1 year ago I had triple bypass surgery. Didn't smoke for about 3 months. But that was simply due to the anesthesia temporarily screwing up my sense of taste. Now back to smoking my pipes as much as ever. Of course, got the same advice to stop smoking just as I've had for years. Earl

I'm in Carthage,Ms. Love the Country Squire there in Jackson. Blessed to have that shop there if pipes are your thing. I will probably have to quit, but think I'll stay involved with pipes somehow.

Personally, time is of the essence here. Give yourself plenty of time to see how you feel 6 months from now and then rethink your position. And even if you no longer smoke it shouldn't deter you from becoming a collector of quality pipes. It's a great hobby even for a non smoker. I wish you the best in your recovery and hopefully it will be quick.

I'm doing lots better, thanks for asking. Chest is still bad sore from where they split me open, but I'm riding my new bike (the peddling kind unfortunately, and went turkey hunting today. The new diet sucks rat balls, but I'm sticking with it until my next round of labs. If they come back good, I'll continue to work at it.

If not, I'm fixing to die happy.

Hope all yall are well and enjoying the privilege of smoking your pipes with a good blend or mixture.
I have decided to celebrate every anniversary of my surgery with a bowl of my favorite local blend from the Country Squire!
Cheers to all!!

gjwmsu":q6yrs9cc said:
I'm doing lots better, thanks for asking. Chest is still bad sore from where they split me open, but I'm riding my new bike (the peddling kind unfortunately, and went turkey hunting today. The new diet sucks rat balls, but I'm sticking with it until my next round of labs. If they come back good, I'll continue to work at it.

If not, I'm fixing to die happy.

Hope all yall are well and enjoying the privilege of smoking your pipes with a good blend or mixture.
I have decided to celebrate every anniversary of my surgery with a bowl of my favorite local blend from the Country Squire!
Cheers to all!!
Glad to hear your doing okay, can't imagine shooting a rifle or shotgun with a chest that's got to be pretty dadburn sore but, from the sounds of it your dealing with it real well.
Giv'em Hell sir! :pirat: