Well, it's all over for me....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
I was out smoking my Dunhill My Mixture 965 last night and came to a conclusion. I REALLY enjoy pipe smoking....

For years I thought I enjoyed smoking pipe, and I probably did, well as much as you can enjoy burning your mouth on tasteless tobacco. It should have come as no surprise to me that I'd go a month or two without smoking a pipe. I was always very comfortable knowing that if I ever stopped smoking pipe, I probably wouldn't miss it that much.

I still smoke moderately (about 3-4 bowls a week), but I'm finding that I'm looking forward to my next bowl much much more! Now I have to actually WORK to moderate my smoking :|

So, gone are the heady days of thinking I had some super intolerance to smoking addiction. Gone are the days when I can just pick up a pipe whenever I feel like smoking. Gone are the days of seeing a tin of tobacco seemingly last forever.

Now I have to work to stay in moderation...

Dang that moderation.

You have advanced to that sublime state of SMOKER! There is NO GOING BACK :twisted: :twisted:

Not just any smoker: Pipe smoker.

What moderates my smoking is what I'm doing. When I'm bored, I smoke. When I'm not, I don't. Kind of a dangerous way to be (financially, mentally [too much thinking]) but it works itself out. :lol:

I enjoy at least a daily pipe. I need "head space" time away from humans and society, or I find myself edgy and irascible. No wonder I've learned to smoke so slowly and enjoy it. :)

8)

asmoke":lik9k8c9 said:
It will creep up on you like a warm blanket....
I don't think I've ever had a warm blanket creep up on me. I usually just pull them over my head.

Every hobby seems to have that "Yeah, this is for me." moment.

Looking forward to your future TAD posts.

:mrgreen:

Good, good, let the pipe tobacco flow through you.

Glad you're finally enjoying the hobby Brian!

Excellent! :twisted:

I think that you will find that your attachment to pipes actually waxes and wanes over time. Sometimes I have a bad week. Tobacco that bites, not properly loading or smoking tobacco, pipe malfunctions...it can all be enough to make you reevaluate your hobby. Then the very next day you have one of those holy grail moments with just the right tobacco in just the right pipe at just the right time. The whole world seems to slow and your senses become heightened. It is those moments that I think we pipe smokers really are after, and part of the fun is that a good experience is never guaranteed, even when we think we can account for all variables. We have to seek it.

Ocelot55":m8069tyl said:

I think that you will find that your attachment to pipes actually waxes and wanes over time. Sometimes I have a bad week. Tobacco that bites, not properly loading or smoking tobacco, pipe malfunctions...it can all be enough to make you reevaluate your hobby. Then the very next day you have one of those holy grail moments with just the right tobacco in just the right pipe at just the right time. The whole world seems to slow and your senses become heightened. It is those moments that I think we pipe smokers really are after, and part of the fun is that a good experience is never guaranteed, even when we think we can account for all variables. We have to seek it.
Smiling, and nodding my head in absolute agreement... 8)

UberHuberMan":xxq3ngk7 said:
asmoke":xxq3ngk7 said:
It will creep up on you like a warm blanket....
I don't think I've ever had a warm blanket creep up on me. I usually just pull them over my head.
Fine, you found a hole in my logic. The blanket would need legs, furry legs. Take that Mr. Logic!

Ocelot55":xozlaye6 said:

Ahhhh yes! You are absolutely correct! I had one of these moments this morning on my way to work. While taking my time this morning getting ready with a nice hot shower, helping get the kids off to school, making an awesome egg, salami, ham, and cheddar bagel sandwich, and two cups of fresh coffee with the wife, and a nice easy going drive to work in the 1992 Lincoln towncar my grandpa gave me back in August. I planned it out so cunningly from the moment my eyes opened. I went into my closet and atop my dresser sat the unsmoked "corn fish" LOL and an unopened tin of GLP "Lagonda" and it was like laying eyes on your first love. I cracked open the tin, took in a big whiff and smiled. Laid some out to dry while I prepped myself for the day. I got into the car and started it, turned on the defrost, and proceeded to light the Baccy. Just a quick light and puff a few times to do what I like to call melting the top layer. I then tamped it a tad to secure the Baccy and get the right consistency or firmness of Baccy. I then lit her up again and I was in heaven. I was in such a euphoric state of mind and that pipe I made smoked like a dream, and then then I arrived at work. End of story. :lol!:

Growley,
You could develope your own tobacco line and sell it to the tourist.

Punta Clara: A praline flavored aro.

Mullet Point: Heavey lat.

Sinle Tax Colony: English.

Yardarm: Navy Flake

Fairhope Pier: It's not really tobacco but, you look cool.

:roll:

Bill

sand18f":skrvvepc said:
Growley,
You could develope your own tobacco line and sell it to the tourist.

Punta Clara: A praline flavored aro.

Mullet Point: Heavey lat.

Sinle Tax Colony: English.

Yardarm: Navy Flake

Fairhope Pier: It's not really tobacco but, you look cool.

:roll:

Bill
You're striking a chord Bill...
In the back of my head I have this dream of starting a tobacco shop somewhere in quaint downdown Fairhope. The front would be a storefront where people could browse through wonderful tobaccos, pipes, lighters and so on. There'd be a nice walk-in humidor for some quality cigars and a room for smoking...without a tv. So much good conversation is ruined by putting the TV in (just my opinion).

And in the back, separated by a nice glass wall, would be my shop where I could make pipes while people looked on if they liked. I picture it being one of those places where everybody knows everybody.

But, that's probably a pipe dream..da dump ching...