Well, I've done it !

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
I've been aware of the area of this endever of pipe smoking refered to as "estate pipes" for several years now but never engaged in it till this weekend. Having 80+ pipes available to smoke, all bought new by me during the years, I thought "...why do I need to buy a used pipe?" Well, while perusing the Estate section of the smokingpipes.com site Friday night, I came across a lovely 1960's Stanwell "Colonial" model TB Pot which just screamed "GET ME, GET ME" from my 'puter screen. It's one of my fave shapes and Mark ( great person to deal with BTW) at the store answered some pertenant questions I had and in seconds IT IS NOW MINE !! :p Lot's of straight grain ( I LOVE straight grain!) all around the bowl and a nice sized bowl and nice wide fishtail Ebonite bit ( regardless of maintenence I prefer over acrylic) that likes my teeth as well!. It's winding it's way to Texas as I type along with some more Virinia #27 to put in it as I type :p Here's their pic of it :
004-001-42041.jpg

Looks pretty good ya think ? Now I'm truly "one of the herd" :cheers:

Hope you enjoy it and if you do think about buying more.But beware it can be addictive,and there are sometimes disappointments, but it is a fine way of trying different brands without spending a fortune,especially for those on a small budget.Pipeman1947 :pirate: :pirate:

monbla256":ft2b563h said:
I've been aware of the area of this endever of pipe smoking refered to as "estate pipes" for several years now but never engaged in it till this weekend.

Looks pretty good ya think ? Now I'm truly "one of the herd" :cheers:

Oh CRAP! Now you've done it! Once you start down this dark path, there's no turning back. Sure, it starts innocently with 1 estate pipe, like a favorite shape or certain grain. In the next week or two you'll add another one. By the time the year is up you'll have 20 or 30 and continue looking for more! :twisted:

Don't let the 'Estate' thing bother you, Brother! It just means that it was 'Previously Enjoyed' and longs for the day it will once again burn tobacco and make the owner (you) happy. Many pipes are overlooked simply because they are 'Estate' pipes. Most of these have many many fine years of smoking left ahead of them, you just have to give them a chance.

:cheers:

Great, another old goat on the crazy farm. Just what we need. 8)

Glad you got a nice estate! 8)

Beautiful snag. I'm always lurking to make my next undeeded purchase. Nothing like a new pipe to brighten your day. I'm sure that is going to be a great smoke!!

You win this time, BUT I'LL BE BACK!

Very very nice sir.

I'm also glad someone else noticed the great customer service those folks give. I've tried other online vendors (I guess it depends what it is I want to buy and if they have it) but I always like ordering from smokingpipes.com, consistently pleasant.

I've only recently purchased my first few estates, some sweet deals out there which makes it dangerous for a impulsive buyer such as myself.

Yeah when I first began smoking I too was adverse to estate pipes, not because they were used but rather they weren't "mine." Now that I broke the ice sometime last year I very much enjoy seeing what is out there that can be had at a fraction of its original price or even small pieces of history. I no longer steer away from them and really urge people to look into them more, you never know what you'll find out there!

Come on, now. What better way to own a Lane-Era Charatan today? Estate pipes are not much different than new pipes. I look forward to the day when that view goes the way of the Dodo Bird.

Seriously though, what are the chances of finding a, for instance, Lane Era Charatan that is NOS (new old stock) = not smoked? And how much would the seller want for it? With an Estate version, they're available for a decent price - even on E-pray from time to time. And guess what - New or Estate, they smoke just as good!

Don't mind me, I am inherently Frugal. Ok, i'm a Cheap Bastard.

Monbla - congrats on your purchase! Just remember what I said it my post above - YOU WILL get bit by the bug and start buying Estate Pipes left and right! :twisted:

Thanks for all the "advice" concerning my future with "estate" pipes ( they still are "used" pipes, kinda like cars ) :p The idea of smoking a pipe someone else had does not bother me, and I definately like the pricing available ( not in the realm of the "collector" range as I'm not a"collector"as some are) for what I have seen are many good, quality pipes. As for being "...bitten by the bug" it all depends on my level of disposable income available, what might strike my "fancy" and it's price. ( I am a bit of a frugal person and try to "...get a deal" as much as the next guy!). With over 80 pipes currently available for me to smoke I certainly don't "need" anymore, but will probably add a few as time goes on no doubt!! Just need to keep the balance btwn. cost of 'baccy and such in line :p (gonna be xmas in April soon :bom: )

Very nice addition indeed, its a beautiful pipe, let us know how she smokes.

Nice buy, now you can buy twice as many pipes for half the price!!!!
Let's not count how many we have, let's try to experience a pipe from every maker out there so we can determine which Italian, English, Danish, German, French or other national origin pipe are our favorites. :D :D

Nice. I thought, looking at it, it was a Castello. (Not that that would have necessarily made it "even better").

Used pipes are the ONLY way to go, if you're (still) going. And shotguns/rifles and (low mileage/non-abused) cars similarly. Let someone else take the depreciation hit.

:face: