Wessex Burley Slice

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benton

Reaction score
I'm about 1/3 of the way through my first tin of Wessex Burley Slice -- what a great tobacco. It is all burley in the best possible way: mild tasting, very faintly sweet, nutty-cocoa flavors, toasty aroma, thick smoke, excelent burning, generous nicotine kick.

It has been a while since I had Solani Aged Burley Flake, but they are very similar. I'm wondering if the similarity has something to do with the burning charactaristics that come from the thick-flake presentation. Maybe the slow burning that comes from a thick, moist flake is what brings out the best in the burley?

BTW, I'm also working on a tin of MacBaren Golden Extra, which you would think would be very similar to WBS or ABF. Golden Extra is also straight burley in a thick, broken flake, but I don't enjoy it nearly as much. It has a distinctive "MacBaren flavor" that just doesn't go away. It isn't foul tasting, but it is an obviously non-tobacco flavor that sticks around all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

Anyway, WBS is a great everyday smoke for burleyphiles. It won't knock your socks off with bizzare and unusual new flavors, but it is the kind of smoke that can set things right after a long, hard day when you can't take any more surprizes.

Strangely enough I was only able to enjoy Golden extra in a Corn cob pipe, it seem to tame the heat and the Macbaren taste.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Sounds good but I "hear" they may be hard to deal with :affraid:

sorry.......just wanted to stir the pot a bit before beddy-bye

rick":tjfilwl7 said:
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Sounds good but I "hear" they may be hard to deal with :affraid:

sorry.......just wanted to stir the pot a bit before beddy-bye
Peretti's hard to deal with? I can honestly say that I have never had that experience. Carole, from Pipeworks & Wilke can be a little testy sometimes however, but overall I like to deal with her as well. But Peretti's??? That one has me scratching my head!