Wessex Gold Brick...opinions?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psmith

Reaction score
Since enjoying Peterson's PPP I'm thinking of buying Wessex' Gold Brick. The reviews on TR give some sense of it. Anybody here tried it and can let me know whether it is worth a purchase? I would be grateful.

Other then being a PITA to prepare it's a good smooth smoke as far as I'm concerned.

I wholly dig the stuff, and this notion has lasted beyond early taste notes, too.

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t20934-i-just-tried-wessex-gold-brick

8)

It's a nice, semi-sweet VA blend. I don't detect any flavorings, but there may be some. Cuts easily into flakes that you can fold and stuff. See what Kyle wrote. If that's what you like, go for it without fear.

Thank you fellas for sharing your opinions. I'm going to get some in my next order. I really like plugs for a few reasons. Being a morning smoker I find the process of carving away at them with a swiss army while I sip a coffee wakes my brain up. It gives me something simple and manual to focus on during those groggy hours. Secondly they burn so slow so I find that a plug can last forever (though they don't seem to demonstrate the benefits of aging quite like flakes or loose-cut due to their compressed nature). Finally I like how they are portable, with that Petersons 3P's I eventually just began carrying it about in my bag inside a simple little leather pouch. I'm a fan of simplicity (although most find plugs to be anything but simple :shock: )
I'm anxious to try the Gold Brick because I love straight Virginia's. It's too bad there are really only a few plugs readily available (those UK plugs are hard to come by) but alas.
Thanks again guys. Much appreciated.

It is simple, but from a taste stand point. Wonderfully, simple, tasty Virginia. If you don't have arthritis and you have a sharp knife, you'll be in like Flynn. I think it ranks right up there or surpasses Dunhill Flake. My hands don't like me after I've cut this stuff up which is too bad because I would smoke this great flake way more often.

Peel off thin layers of horizontal slices and use sharp scissors to make strips to rub out into ribbons.

It's a lot easier than trying to hack through the whole brick, even for non-arthritic hands.

8)