what 10 tobaccos couldn't you live without?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sisyphus

Reaction score
we have access to everything so our tobacco hoards are more varied than our ancestors. Last time I checked I had some 80+ blends in my cellar, although the vast majority of my weight is only about half a dozen tobaccos. To avoid all the honorable mentions we'd like to include, what 10 tobaccos are your most beloved and why?

in no particular order
SG MVF, BBF, FVF (this trilogy is the same tobacco with varying degrees of processing. MVF is the world's greatest unadulterated golden Va, better than Opening Night/Union Square.)
F&T Blackjack (way better than the popular McC red Va everyone loves)
F&T Cut Virginia Plug (bergamot cased golden Va flake, the world's greatest adulterated golden Va.)
F&T Cut Blended Plug (plum cased red Va flake)
Astleys No. 44 (mature Va flake)
John Aylesbury Luxury Flake (the best German flake with no fruit casing, better than F&T Vintage. This is not relabeled OGS.)
McClelland Matured Virginia No. 24 (delicious and sweet mature Va with a dash of Oriental, great with age.)
Germain Brown Flake (kind of like Germain's clean room FVF with a dash of semois)

Sisyphus, it looks like you are a VA fan :)

Two years into my pipe smoking time, I would have to say I still ahve a lot of tobaccos to try before i could name 10 favorites. If I had to name my top tobaccos they would be this:
SG - FVF
McC - Christmas Cheer
JF Germain - Special Latakia Flake
McC - 2015

Some interesting tobaccos in that first post I've surprisingly still not managed to try. I may have to try to hunt a couple of those down before it's too late.

I'll echo SG MVF. After a decade of searching I've still not found anything that tops it, and it represents the largest stash of any single tobacco in my cellar.

I don't know if there are 10 I couldn't live without, which makes this (for me) just a current (subject to change an hour from now) top ten list. But, if my cellar is an indication of my must haves (rather than this mornings memory and whimsy) then, based on amounts I have stashed:

1. SG MVF
2. GH & co Curly Cut Regular
3. Coniston Cut Plug unscented
4. Golden Extra
5. Burley London Blend
6. GH & co Brown Pigtail
7. 3 Oaks Syrian
8. Uhle's 00
9. Stokkebye Balkan Supreme
10. FVF

That's just based on what is most cellared in my current stash based on weight. At least subconsciously, these must be the 10 I felt I better not end up without, as they are the blends I made sure I stocked up on. If you asked me what I liked best today and wouldn't want to ever be without I could probably come up with a dozen and a half others that are only casually represented in my cellar.

Can't give you 10 but Aj's special blend (not commercial) and Brigadier Black Alamo are my two fav's for sure. OGS and Dunhill Flake follows behind (distantly). Then I guess MacBaren's Symphony has been doing the trick for me lately after those.

That list is easy as i'm a huge fan of Boswell's aro's and they suit my rotaion/smoking style as once the proper moisture level aquired they keep well untill used. I even enjoy their English blends but find that they are a little harsh towards the end of the bowl (tend to inhale more than i should). I like them but not "what i could live without". Any way here's my top ten in order:
Boswell's # 1-7:
Penn Dutch Treat
Xmas Cookie
Berry Cobbler
Raspberry Cream
Cherry Smash
Spice & Nice
No Bite Delite
# 8 Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice
# 9 McClellend Frog Morton Across The Pond not sure what's in this blend that i like but it sure works for me & look forward to trying more of the Frog series when the baccy buget allows. Wasn't impressed with the tin note when i open this blend but the taste/flavor/smoothness is sometning else.
# 10 Sunday Afternoon Pipe is a tobacco from B&M Burlington's in Edmonton that was # 1 when i started smoking a pipe 3 years ago but there supplier went out of business and the replacement blend they came up with is good but not quite the same as there original.
There is one more that deserves honourable mention from a B&M in Red Deer called Red Deer Mist but with the prices they charge (due to Taxes) it's hard to justify buying it, would buy more of it if it was available thru the US but i think it's one of their own blends.

Robt McConnell Maduro
MB Danish Mixture
MB Club Blend
MB Norwood
MB Old Dark Fired
Middleton Velvet
Middleton Granger
MB Honey & Chocolate
Skandinavik Regular
Middleton Ky Club Mixture

SG FVF
SG BBF
GLP Embarcadero
GLP Haddo's
GLP Cumberland
McConnell Scottish Flake
Exotique
SG Skiff
Solani 633
And even though its a recent addition, I'm pretty sure I can no longer live without G&H Bright CR flake

I've smoked many. many blends in the 40+ years I've been smoking and now rotate btwn just 8 blends/mixtures today. Of course these are THE BEST of their type as each of us thinks theirs are, but then that's just opinion not fact :twisted:
(Not in preference order)
* McC's Fragrant Matured 2000
* McC's Blackwoods Flake
* McC's Virginia Woods
* McC's Christmas Cheer
* McCranies Red Flake
* Duhill's Royal Yacht
* Dunhill's London Mixture
* Peretii's Royal Blend

Subject to change here and there and more to add as I discover new mixtures, and sorry I don't have 10, but here are mine in no particular order

Long Golden Flake
Solani SF 660
Solani ABF 656
Margate
Skiff Mixture
Haddo's Delight

DrumsAndBeer":ldnfd67i said:
Subject to change here and there and more to add as I discover new mixtures, and sorry I don't have 10, but here are mine in no particular order

Long Golden Flake
Solani SF 660
Solani ABF 656
Margate
Skiff Mixture
Haddo's Delight
:cheers:

The only reason I didn't include LGF and the other Solani blends is because for me they are more of a special occasion "treat"

There are so many tobaccos that I don't want to live without...

I could live without any of these, and I COULD smoke PA or Granger every day. I would prefer to have access to

H&H Old Companion
PS Luxury Bullseye Flake
Orlik's Golden Sliced
H&H Anniversary Kake
MacBaren's ODF
H&H American Heritage

I will add to this list I am sure, but these six are likely to always be in inventory if I can get them.

A couple of otthers I always seem to have around but only seem to smoke if I am out of something else are

H&H Daybreak
Sail Yellow Match
H&H Classic Burley Kake

Ten? Crap. Well, it's better than "...you're stranded on a desert island, and you can only have one..."

In no particular order (for right now, anyway):

C&D Star Of The East Flake
PS Balkan Supreme/Balkan Sasieni
GLP Embarcadero
GLP Union Square
GLP Navigator
GLP Robusto
GH Brown Pigtail
JP's Oriental Dusk
JP's Storm Front
Solani 660 Silver Flake

GLP Jacknife ready rubbed anyone know of something similar I would love to hear.
GLP Cumberland
FM 2000
Mcclelland 2010
Mcclelland 2035
GLP triple play
Boswell Dans Blend
Royal yacht
Nording Labrador
Swr

OK I'll play-

No particular order:

Pretty much any titljlp blend that doesn't have forward Lat-weed (Crossroads, DH, CHF, OD, Quad VA, SF, VS, plus a few others)
2015 (w 15% added perique)
5100 Red Cake
OGS
BBF
FVF
P&W Churchill
P&W #78
Revor
Night Train

Cheers,

RR

GLP Sextant
GLP Navigator
H&H Black House
SG FVF
SG BBF
Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake
JP Crossroads
Hamborger Veermaster
C&D Cordial
McC GO Drama Reserve

Threads like these are great for Secret Santa six months from now... FYI :santa:

(and random bombing, The Shadow, etc)

8)

There really aren't any I couldn't live without, but there are certainly categories I couldn't; that is, there is at least one good substitute for all but one

1 Grasmere Flake/Bosun Cut Plug/Bob's Chocolate
2 Westmoreland/Prairie Hills
3 Royal Jersey Perique/Former Bird's Eye Flake
4 SG Navy Flake/Man's Best Friend
5 Squadron Leader/221b Arcadia/4 Noggins Bakerstreet Just trying out Lombard Street, so haven't decided about it yet
6 King Charles/1820/Altadis 965 match (have some Dunhill 965, just haven't got to it yet)
7 St Bruno Flake/Bracken Flake
8 SG Chocolate Flake (haven't got to the Two Friends English Chocolate yet, although I have a tin)
9 Uncle Tom (hate the name, like the tobacco)/Carter Hall
10 St James Flake/Red Virginia Superb

In no particular order:

Chief Catoonah "Princes Street Mixture"

Chief Catoonah "Bailey's Supreme"

Park Lane "RED PARAMOUR" :king:

Park Lane "The Connoisseurs Flake"

Cornell & Diehl "Briar Fox"

McClelland "Beacon" & "Beacon Extra" / 2015 (Basically the same thing w/ varying Perique)

Solani "633"

Hearth & Home "AJ's VaPer"

Hearth & Home "Anniversary Kake"

DoverPipes "Hurly Burly" & "SixMileCross Mixture" (Tie) :p

Even 10 years ago there would have been a list. 50 years ago, you couldn't have narrowed it down to just ten without being unjust.

Today ?

FVF

Embarcadero

Union Square

If you're inclined to them, MVF & BBF

After that, you pretty much have to like orientals and/or Perique. If you don't, IMO, the list stops where I left it.

:face: