What about that pipe grabs you?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cigar2you

Reaction score
So your at the local pipe shop with an entire case of pipes to choose from, what is that draws you to one pipe over another?

I know for alot of people they collect 1 certain brand or shape. For me it has got to shape first, not any specific shape like a billard or a bulldog, but how does it feel. Part of the whole experience for me is tactile, a physical connection with the pipe. I guess that's why for me it's all or nothing when it comes blasts/Rustification. I do love a pipe with great grain either straight or birdseye but if the pipe don't feel good in the hand I won't buy it.

Shape and appearance are the first things that draw me. Then I need to make sure it's good quality and whatnot before I plunk down my money for it.

Of course , shape and finish , grab my eye first.

I like smooth finishes, and I like to see a nice grain, but , shape will determine if I would want it.
The shape of bowl must feel good in hand , but I find myself looking at the bit end of stems now, for what may be comfortable to clench in mouth.

I have a no name briar, that I REALLY like, as far as shape and finish and grain, but the stem is soft plasticy? and it doesnt have much of a lip to let hang on a tooth, so I tend to bite a little harder, which grooves and chews up the bit end.

Then theres Peterson's,,, But thats a whole other subject. :D

1) Shape, size, weight and visual balance. I like gracefu lines and generally symetrical shapes that aren't overly delicate or overly robust.

2) Finish (grain, blast or rustication). I can go for any type as long as it has something interesting and visually appealing going on.

3) Stem & bit - important to me, but can be hard to tell from photos alone. You can sorta get an approximate sense of things like thickness & taper if you know the other dimensions I think.

3) Price - otherwise I would have many more pipes and much less money.

Right now I've got enough pipes to keep me entertained and more than fill up my smoking time with plenty of options to choose from, so my desire to pursue additional acquisitions has somewhat diminished of late. Always keeping an eye out for a good deal on certain things though. :D

First: Shape (oooh)

Second: Grain (ahhh)

Third: Price (which is usually where the fantasy stops).

I make myself feel better by walking out with some tabac. Consolation prize for being "good."

8)

I suppose if it is in the case and I haven't touched it yet, it is the brand, shape, and grain of the pipe that draws me. Once in hand, the weight must be right, it must feel good in hand, and the drilling must be spot on.

What I do now is ask myself what does this pipe look like it would smoke? Is this a flake pipe? A VA pipe? An English pipe? I find some have no distinct look which I avoid because when I buy it I know it will sit un-smoked. I have fallen in love with the prince and straight squat shape which are relatively rare in the pipe world - outside of Dunhill. Castello's seem to be my choice for VA/flakes and Dunhill/English pipes for, well of course, English blends. I see beauty in all pipes however I find myself drawn to the 'classic' shapes.

So go with classic shapes.

The GOLDEN RULE to pipe smoking enjoyment: there are no rules, only tips. Take them at your leisure. 8)

Shape, grain and something that sets it apart from the other pipes on the shelf. I don't like to get too outlandish, but I can easily fall in love with a pipe that has a ring of silver or a ring of off-color wood on the shank instead of the simple briar into stem (though I don't shy away from those, either). I also absolutely love colors other than black for the stem - but again, not too outlandish - as long as it fits with the design of the pipe and the color compliments the stain.

I consider a pipe a soulmate. I like a fat bit like Nording uses. Then I want it to feel like I got total %%% in my hand. I tend to favor brandys and apples in that respect. But billards and canadians are fine too. Shape really depends somewhat on what I intend to be doing when smoking whether it be reading or doing chores. The bore has to be the right dia and depth for what I plan to stuff in it. Those are the most important parts but the grain and finish has to look good too. Sadly, whenever I spot the most ultimate perfecto pipe, it's 2000 freakin dollars and way out of my leauge.

Definitely Shape. It must be attractive to me. Then price. And I agree my taste in pipes is usually over the top of my pocket book.

I agree with men who state that the feel of a smooth pipe in the hand attracts them to a particular pipe. I am a clencher so I don't hold my pipes for long periods when I'm smoking. When I do, however, the feel of warm smooth briar, especially a large bowl that fills my hand just feels good. I suggest that this may be part of our manliness. Most guys, myself included, don't have smooth hands. We don't cream our bodies, and we engage in rough activities throughout our lives. We develop strength in our hands and we offer and receive firm handshakes. We treat our pipes with love the way we treat the women in our lives. Perhaps there is a subtle connection. My rusticated bowls feel to me like the grip on my guns or the bars on my Electraglide. My smooth bowls remind me of other pleasures. In conclusion, I submit the suggestion that there may be a romantic connection to the feel of warm smooth briar in a man's hand.

For me it would be :
1) Shape
2)Finish/Color.Brown/Tan blasts first, then smooth natural second
3) Ring grain in my blasts and straight grain or flame grain in my smooths. Sandpits and small fills do count but I can live with some on average.
4) Bit shape. Saddles are prefered and it must be a wide thin fishtail. Vulcanite is prefered over acrylic as well.
5) Workmanship, all the bits must fit correctly, surfaces ment to be flush are etc.
6) Price, AFTER the other criteria is met :p
But when all is said and done I have to ask " Do I REALLY want it?" With over 40 years of pipe aquisition and smoking, I DON'T NEED another pipe :lol:

1)Shape..classic or freehand but if its freehand, some grab me and some don't. Likewise certain classic styles I like, and others I do not. I like billiards for instance, but not Canadians.

2) Finish: I like sandblasts and rusticated pipes as well as a nice bird's eye. I'm not much of a straight grain kinda guy though. As an aside, I love the finish of the pipe on the header of our BOB forum page. Where does one go about procuring that pipe? I would go for a silver rather than a gold band (I'm just not much of a gold kinda guy) but otherwise that pipe looks amazing.

3) Accents: Often times its the look of the connection point where the stem meets the shank, but it could be other things as well. These are those subtle details that make a nice but otherwise typical pipe stand out from the rest.

Kyle Weiss":5ecbneni said:
First: Shape (oooh)

Second: Grain (ahhh)

Third: Price (which is usually where the fantasy stops).

I make myself feel better by walking out with some tabac. Consolation prize for being "good."

8)
My version:

First: shape (OOoooooh!) :shock:

Second: Grain (AAAAaaaah!!) :)

Third: Price (DOH!!!) :evil:

Appearance attracts me , but smoking quality is what it is about with me. A bad smoker is gone, no matter who made it. This Larrysson is a favorite right now. Dedicated to HOTW, and smokes smooth as silk.
IMG_0601.jpg

Pipes are like women.

It's the individual. Not some feature of it.

The individual is the matrix of each aspect's significance.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Or, less than them.

:face:

This is a great question. There are a ton of things about a pipe that lead to whether I decide to buy it or not. Here's the logical stuff:

1. Shape, composition, finish. Initially, I'm drawn to a pipe by its aesthetic appeal.
2. Quality. Is the airway smack at the bottom center of the chamber? Is the airway 4mm tapering to 1.5 to 2.5mm at the bit? Does it pass a pipe cleaner effortlessly?
3. Comfort. Does it feel good in my hands? Is the bit well cut and comfortable for me? Is it the right weight, length, chamber diameter & depth? Can I see myself smoking this pipe? Do we fit together?
4. Price. Right now, I'm hovering in the $300 to $399 range as the height of my reach. Fortunately, I can snag some incredible pipes as estates in this price range. For example, I've got a Peter Heeschen Bamboo smooth A grade that would probably go for $700+ new, but I snagged it for $350 as an estate. I also just bit on an estate Geiger Sandblast for $325 that would normally have run up in the $600 to $700 range. I love me some high end estates. :D

The illogical:

5. Mysticism. There are some pipes that don't belong in your collection. At all. There's just something about certain pipes that make them harmonize with you. Those are the ones that you amputate a limb to obtain because they speak to you. Ideally, these pipes will have positive answers to the first 4 logical criteria, but they don't always. I've finally gotten to where most of my acquisitions answer all 5 in the affirmative. :p

My current collecting trend is to follow the new guys and snag up the first major breakthrough that they have. It's really exciting for me because not only can you snag a great pipe at a great price, but there's a genesis about those pieces. You also get to support blossoming artists and I'm always in favor of that!

Smoker99":vzui1xi8 said:
Appearance attracts me , but smoking quality is what it is about with me. A bad smoker is gone, no matter who made it. This Larrysson is a favorite right now. Dedicated to HOTW, and smokes smooth as silk.
Fantastic Larrysson, by the way!