What am I missing?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retrogasm

Reaction score
I've been smoking whatever bowls I can fit into my day for a while now, usually an evening pipe or two, but I haven't really had a reasoned strategy when it comes to my choices of tobacco. It's been more about getting a serviceable pack or a functioning temp and draw. Well, time to make amends!

I'd like to go over the major blend/tobacco groupings out there, and by that I mean the typical configurations significant enough that they warrant a name or an acronym. I'm not a picky eater and by all evidence so far this carries over to my smoking. I like most of what I've smoked so far, my reason for doing this is simply to cover my bases with regards to flavor profiles.

So far I think I've covered straight/lightly flavored virginias with Golden Glow, Capstan Blue and Orliks Golden Sliced. I've had virginia/latakia by way of SG's Balkan Flake, which I really liked, and sampled orientals with Frog Morton OTT (loved this). I have a set of english blends in the pipeline with Presbyterian, EMP and MM965.

So, what am I missing?

Burley Blends.
I don't know much about burley blends as I am not a great lover of burley (though I do have some Carter Hall that I am smoking).
Carter Hall, H.H. - I heart Burley , Burley Flake, etc

Va/Pers - Virginia Perique
Try Escudo, Cool Hand Fluke, and some others.

I would also suggest such blends as Newminster Superior Round Slices, Luxury Bulls-eye Flake, and Luxury Twist Flake.

I don't know what you think of aromatics, but there are some really good aro blends like Nording Hunter Series Labrador.

Any of the Nording Hunter Series would be good as they cover almost all of the basic styles.

That is my basic recommendation. Definitely try the flakes.

If you have the availability of getting the offerings from McClelland's blends over your way, they have organized their offerings in a nice way that would allow you to systimaticaly experience all of the varieties of blend/mixtures made. They offer one of the widest varieties of Va types from straight Va's in flake, broken flake, and ribbon form, Then you could move to their VaPer offerings, again in all the various presentations, and work your way through their VaBur, then Burley. then Aromatic, then Balkan/English/Oriental iterations. Just smoking what the folks in KC have to offer ought to keep you smoking for at least 3/4 years ! And this is JUST the Tinned offerings!! And of course you would need to smoke AT LEAST 4 tins of EACH to get to KNOW them :twisted: After that there are all the BULK blends/mixtures they offer !! AFTER you've done this you could move to the offerings of others but after you've sampled McC's 'bacy, why bother? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

VaBur's are always nice try. So are Va/Orientals w/o Latakia. :cyclops:

monbla256":xjwqu0l5 said:
Just smoking what the folks in KC have to offer ought to keep you smoking for at least 3/4 years ! And this is JUST the Tinned offerings!! And of course you would need to smoke AT LEAST 4 tins of EACH to get to KNOW them :twisted:  After that there are all the BULK blends/mixtures they offer !! AFTER you've done this you could move to the offerings of others but after you've sampled McC's 'bacy, why bother? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
You're killing me, there goes my plan for getting some quick and solid ground under my feet ;)

D4klutz - Excellent, I'll have to fit a burley into my next order. I actually have a tin of Escudo already, does it differ greatly when compared to LBF?

DrumsAndBeer - Hit me with some names mate, preferably blends that represent their subset well.

As for aros, I've only had A&C Peterson's Caledonian Highland Cream so far and while it wasn't a complete dud, I found the actual tobacco portion of the flavour to be a bit thin. Of course, those were some of my first bowls and it's not unlikely that my non-existant technique got in the way. I'm going to revisit it some day, possibly in 2019 if monbla is to be believed :shock:

Retrogasm":4eebol8g said:
monbla256":4eebol8g said:
Just smoking what the folks in KC have to offer ought to keep you smoking for at least 3/4 years ! And this is JUST the Tinned offerings!! And of course you would need to smoke AT LEAST 4 tins of EACH to get to KNOW them :twisted:  After that there are all the BULK blends/mixtures they offer !! AFTER you've done this you could move to the offerings of others but after you've sampled McC's 'bacy, why bother? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
You're killing me, there goes my plan for getting some quick and solid ground under my feet ;)

D4klutz - Excellent, I'll have to fit a burley into my next order. I actually have a tin of Escudo already, does it differ greatly when compared to LBF?

DrumsAndBeer - Hit me with some names mate, preferably blends that represent their subset well.

As for aros, I've only had A&C Peterson's Caledonian Highland Cream so far and while it wasn't a complete dud, I found the actual tobacco portion of the flavour to be a bit thin. Of course, those were some of my first bowls and it's not unlikely that my non-existant technique got in the way. I'm going to revisit it some day, possibly in 2019 if monbla is to be believed :shock:
What's the hurry! You are planning to smoke a pipe the rest of your life and your only in your early thirties !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Retrogasm,

I like lbf better than escudo.  Don't get me wron, escudo is a great baccy, but I find it tends to be a bit monochromatic.   I know cart will disagree, but lbf seems to be more flavorful imho.

I highly recommend you get the 5 offerings of Nording hunter series.  You can get the full set as a sampler from P&C  for around $35 if I remember correctly.  Each tin is in a different family of baccy.  From va to english.  All, very tasty.  

I like McClelland blends, but the tangy tin note sits wrong with a lot of people.  There is no such tang to the nording series.  However, I tend to agree with monbla that McC makes excellent blends.

Btw, if you wish to try an amazing crossover blend, let me know, I will send some mellow monk your way, I just need an addy.

Retrogasm":t37xwduu said:
Sure. These are all blends that I really enjoy, hopefully you find something you enjoy here.

Burley
Solani Aged Burley Flake - IMHO there's nothing in the realm of straight burley that's finer.
Storm Front - a very good burley cigar leaf concoction.

VA/Burley
Solani Silver Flake - Red VA with Kentucky Dark Fired. Exquisite tobacco.
MacBaren Old Dark Fired
MacBaren Dark Twist Roll Cake

VA/Perique
Reiner Long Golden Flake

VA/Oriental - No Latakia
McClelland Tudor Castle
McClelland Grand Oriental Drama Reserve
McClelland - Matured VA 24
GLP Embarcadero

VA Focused Concoctions with various tobaccos - 3 or more (non latakia)
McConnell - Scottish Flake
H&H - Virginia Spice
GLP - Haddo's Delight (aged tin preferred)
GLP - Cumberland

Happy Piping  :D

monbla256":bjo3451v said:
What's the hurry! You are planning to smoke a pipe the rest of your life and your only in your early thirties !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Yes.

I'm of the mind that smoking the pipe extends your lifespan by giving you an ample number of things you will still want to try.

monbla256":dvhbigni said:
Yeah well, you yanks aren't the only ones that worry over increased tobacco prices. I'm all the way over in Sweden but, without saying too much about my tobacco distribution channels (hello fellow pipe smoker over at the customs office), US prices directly effect me.

That being said, I'm fairly certain that the tobacco makers and distributors have a hand in fanning the fear-and-panic flames in the community over how pipe smoking is going the way of the dodo. With people building 100 pound cellars and strapping in for the federal over reach, business is probably booming. The greater challenge for the industry in my decidedly lay person opinion is in replacing the current crop of old school, 60+, pipesmokers as they...go the way of the dodo.

Mainly though, I've found a surprising amount of satisfaction in the organizing and routines that come with the hobby so I'd like to build up a nice rotation of smokes that offer some variety for the pallet and, possibly, find some personal favorites to tuck away already so as to start aging.

D4klutz - thanks for the additional tips there. As for your generous offer to share, I'd be glad to take you up on it but only if you'll let me cover the shipping fee.

DrumsAndBeer - Thanks a ton.

I am going to second and third the suggestions touching burley based blends and sampling some aromatics, let me add a couple of things.

Orientals/Balkans/English: I'd recommend sampling more "natural" blends. Frog Morton is really good, but I feel it is cased a bit on the heavy side. I see you live in Sweden (according to your profile below your avatar) so I'm not sure what's available to you. If you get a chance, try G.L. Pease blends.

Lakelands: Like eating snails, you either love them or hate them. Doesn't hurt to sample a couple of bowls but I suggest using a disposable pipe first.

Retrogasm":ohij9v3a said:
monbla256":ohij9v3a said:
Yeah well, you yanks aren't the only ones that worry over increased tobacco prices. I'm all the way over in Sweden but, without saying too much about my tobacco distribution channels (hello fellow pipe smoker over at the customs office), US prices directly effect me.

That being said, I'm fairly certain that the tobacco makers and distributors have a hand in fanning the fear-and-panic flames in the community over how pipe smoking is going the way of the dodo. With people building 100 pound cellars and strapping in for the federal over reach, business is probably booming. The greater challenge for the industry in my decidedly lay person opinion is in replacing the current crop of old school, 60+, pipesmokers as they...go the way of the dodo.

Mainly though, I've found a surprising amount of satisfaction in the organizing and routines that come with the hobby so I'd like to build up a nice rotation of smokes that offer some variety for the pallet and, possibly, find some personal favorites to tuck away already so as to start aging.

D4klutz - thanks for the additional tips there. As for your generous offer to share, I'd be glad to take you up on it but only if you'll let me cover the shipping fee.

DrumsAndBeer - Thanks a ton.
Retro

I was heartened to read the paragraph in bold above. Seems like you have things well in hand.

And with so many great ideas already here, I'll step back and let you chew on all those fine suggestions.

:D

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":bunnzcp9 said:
let you chew on all those fine suggestions.
Indeed, thank you all for the replies, I already have a few tins that'll make it into my next order :sunny:

Could you guys expand on the Lakelands? I've come across the term before, mostly with regards to ghosting, but I don't really know what they are or how they smoke. Just from context they seem to be from a specific area?

Smokey-smokey: B&M's around here seem to carry mostly the danish products with a sprinkling of the more established brands like F&T, SG and such. I'd say they're light on the US lines but the beauty of the internet is that it allows me to get ahold of most products. Well, the exception of course being unicorn blends like Pensanze and Stonehaven :roll:

Oh, Lord. You've just planted a Dangerous Idea in my head: I shall tell my fiancée that Stonehaven is a unicorn blend. Maybe Kingsbridge, too; I really miss my Kingsbridge. And my Tilbury, but one mustn't be too greedy.

Retrogasm":7ust3n5d said:
Could you guys expand on the Lakelands? I've come across the term before, mostly with regards to ghosting, but I don't really know what they are or how they smoke. Just from context they seem to be from a specific area?
Lakelands. Quite the acquired taste.

G&H are the primary manufacturers (most of theirs), and Samuel Gawith also dips into the genre (some of theirs). Located in Kendal, in the South Lakeland area of the North West of England

Variously described as "old ladies perfume" and other descriptors here and elsewhere (some more disparaging), it seems to be a love-or-hate relationship!

Also, the the G&H offerings are on the whole much higher in lady nic than the Sammy G's. And that's an oversimplification, mind!

There are some here who dote on Lakeland blends. I do not happen to be one of them, but there again smoke what you like and like what you smoke!

:bom:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":dxhc6alg said:
Variously described as "old ladies perfume" and other descriptors here and elsewhere (some more disparaging), it seems to be a love-or-hate relationship!
That sounds...less than appealing...Still, thanks for the rundown mate, I'll eventually have to man up and try some

I would add Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, G&H Bosun Cut Plug and SG 1792 to your list.