what are some must try blends?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewdude":xaiu86nx said:
If you haven't already tried any of the Stokkebye blends, Luxury Twist (pure 'ginny flake) and Bull's Eye ('ginny, Perique, and a core of Cav) are a must have. And they are very reasonably priced. Plus they come at the perfect moisture level.

:D 

Cheers,

RR
Ditto.......

McClellands new Red and Black is superb and their Tudor Castle is my favorite blend hands down. :)

AJ

I'm a sucker for Marlin Flake, McClelland St. James Woods and their bulk #2015, and I have to recommend Blackeoods Flake as well. I know it's not a va/per but too good not to push!

Some that I'm going to try (just ordered): C&D Red Carpet, C&D Bayou Morning, Capt Earl's Honor Blend, and H&H Black House.

Just some that I'm excited about.

monbla256":z081im29 said:
With such an open-ended question as you've given be ready for a deluge of "must try" blends/mixtures so I'll give a few that I ALWAYS have on hand to smoke. :twisted:

As far as a true Balkan, one which is not talked about much here but in my 40 + years of smoking Balakans I have to say is one of the BEST available today is Arango's Balkan Supreme.  a nicely priced bulk that is very reminiscent of the old definition of a Balkan, BS 759.
On the English/Balkan style I can recommend several of the "new" Dunhill blends wholeheartedly such as their London Blend, Durbar, Standard Mixture and of course My Mixture 965.
Though I'm not much of a VaPer smoker, two come to mind as being the definers of this style as considered by folks who are aficionados of this style, Escudo and Dunhill's Deluxe Navy Rolls.
There are and you will get recommendations of many others but these are blend/mixtures I have and still do smoke !! JMHO  :twisted: :twisted:
Zeno Marx":z081im29 said:
McClelland #2015. I love the way it tastes freshly blended, and I love how it matures as it ages. I have some that is a month old, 3 years old, and 5 years old. They're all fabulous and greatly different. And I still feel Beck's 'Ol Limey Bastard is a great, old school English (despite the horrible moniker).
Old Nate":z081im29 said:
I'm a sucker for Marlin Flake, McClelland St. James Woods and their bulk #2015, and I have to recommend Blackeoods Flake as well. I know it's not a va/per but too good not to push!

Some that I'm going to try (just ordered): C&D Red Carpet, C&D Bayou Morning, Capt Earl's Honor Blend, and H&H Black House.

2015 is indeed a great VAPer. I'm surprised McC's biggest fanboy didn't mention it himself!

Thomas Tkach":8qkeiq7g said:
2015 is indeed a great VAPer. I'm surprised McC's biggest fanboy didn't mention it himself!
Not that I want to speak for him Thomas, but I'm given to understand that he doesn't particularly appreciate P-weed that's very pronounced.

Now me, I absolutely love 2015! Including and especially with 15% added P-weed!

:pig:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":s1y2rps5 said:
Thomas Tkach":s1y2rps5 said:
Not that I want to speak for him Thomas, but I'm given to understand that he doesn't particularly appreciate P-weed that's very pronounced.

Now me, I absolutely love 2015! Including and especially with 15% added P-weed!

:pig:

Cheers,

RR
Yes, Perique is goooooooddddd

Thomas Tkach":m1qvvbqr said:
monbla256":m1qvvbqr said:
With such an open-ended question as you've given be ready for a deluge of "must try" blends/mixtures so I'll give a few that I ALWAYS have on hand to smoke. :twisted:

As far as a true Balkan, one which is not talked about much here but in my 40 + years of smoking Balakans I have to say is one of the BEST available today is Arango's Balkan Supreme.  a nicely priced bulk that is very reminiscent of the old definition of a Balkan, BS 759.
On the English/Balkan style I can recommend several of the "new" Dunhill blends wholeheartedly such as their London Blend, Durbar, Standard Mixture and of course My Mixture 965.
Though I'm not much of a VaPer smoker, two come to mind as being the definers of this style as considered by folks who are aficionados of this style, Escudo and Dunhill's Deluxe Navy Rolls.
There are and you will get recommendations of many others but these are blend/mixtures I have and still do smoke !! JMHO  :twisted: :twisted:
Zeno Marx":m1qvvbqr said:
McClelland #2015.  I love the way it tastes freshly blended, and I love how it matures as it ages.  I have some that is a month old, 3 years old, and 5 years old.  They're all fabulous and greatly different.  And I still feel Beck's 'Ol Limey Bastard is a great, old school English (despite the horrible moniker).
Old Nate":m1qvvbqr said:

Some that I'm going to try (just ordered): C&D Red Carpet,  C&D Bayou Morning, Capt Earl's Honor Blend, and H&H Black House.

I;m not a fan of VaPers is why !! :twisted: :twisted:

What I'd do is look at your current usual suspects and put them in their proper categories... Latakia blend, Balkan, VA, VA/Per, Burley, blends W Oriental but no Latakia, etc. Then cross out categories you've already got covered. This gets you out into new territory... vital to growth.

Then look at that list Mr E gave you the link to. Just because it has the term 'new smoker' in it doesn't disallow its value. When I was putting it together a whole bunch of guys responded and they were listing the blends, by category, that they felt were the core or each type...the ones that shouldn't be missed...which was exactly your question.

OR - another MO entirely...go over to the review site...click browse and then choose a major blending house...McClelland, Gawith Hogarth, Cornell & Diehl, Greg Please, etc. Then order the overall list of blends they make by the number of reviews. Blends with the most reviews are 'usually' the ones everybody out there in pipe land is and has been smoking. Or start playing with their search engine...it can be very interesting if you dig into it a little.

One more... C&D oriental silk.. Excellent blend, no Latakia. IMHO, the best bulk blend that C&D has to offer..

Hey...that's one of my favorites too...and my favorite category. It's like a simple, cheap John Patton blend! lol

Hey, I forgot to yap up JP's stuff here!

Try:

1) Storm Front
2) Dark Horse
3) Oriental Dusk
4) Cool Hand Fluke
5) etc.

Sam Gawith Full VA Flake
Esoterica Stonehaven
Dunhill Royal Yacht
Dunhill Flake
Solani Silver Flake
Gawith Hogarth No. 7 Broken Flake
Gawith Brown (Happy) Bogey
Gawith Dark Plug
Gawith Rum Twist
GLP Cairo, Cumberland, Embarcadero, Haddo's Delight, Six Pence
Orlick Strong Dark Kentucky
Murray's Warrior Plug
Mick McQuaid Plug
Captain Earle's Honor Blend
Esoterica Ramsgate, Dunbar, etc.
S Gawith Bob's Chocolate Flake
C & D Exhausted Rooster
Dave's BATF Blend (oh...wait...that's mine...never mind)

...about fifty other ones round out the list.