What are/will be the "classics" of the future?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harlock999":2j1kftxk said:
sisyphus":2j1kftxk said:
Nothing about Italian pipe design warrants giving them the distinction of having their own school. There is nothing that is unique to Italian pipes.
Nothing, except being instantly recognizable from across a room...
'Lock nailed it...which is why I'm not a fan of Italian pipes--if they were just run-of-the-mill hack pipes, they'd not be so distinct in my mind. My lack of affinity for owning one has nothing to do with their talent or poise. I also think Lamborghini is one of the most ridiculous-looking cars on the planet, but they still sell (and perform), oddly enough. *shrug*

I also see no hope of redesigning my body to be a human Lamborghini when I'm more productive being a beat-up old Toyota 4Runner (in body and soul...keep on rackin' up the miles til I can't no mo') :lol:

...maybe an AMC Gremlin shell on a 4x4 chassis... not even sure what it would fit on... an old CJ7 frame, maybe? *shrug* :lol: That'd be a rolling terror! :twisted:

That and introducing acrylic stems, wider airways, and elevating the art of rustication to it's highest level.
Italians, that is... 8)

Kyle Weiss":kl7y85eu said:
Harlock999":kl7y85eu said:
sisyphus":kl7y85eu said:
Nothing about Italian pipe design warrants giving them the distinction of having their own school. There is nothing that is unique to Italian pipes.
Nothing, except being instantly recognizable from across a room...
I also think Lamborghini...
are now German.

Kyle Weiss":hj55r131 said:
...maybe an AMC Gremlin shell on a 4x4 chassis... not even sure what it would fit on... an old CJ7 frame, maybe? *shrug* :lol: That'd be a rolling terror! :twisted:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kNNp8Vkb-Zs" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tech2576":6bui2cyv said:
Kyle Weiss":6bui2cyv said:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kNNp8Vkb-Zs" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>
:cheers:

Radice, Il Ceppo, Amorelli. All three make a reasonably priced pipe, can't be called artisan, and might have a following down the road.
The question concerned pipes that would become "classics" in the future.

The "artisianal" aspect has NO bearing on this. People today enthusiastically collect old Comoys, GBDs, Dunhills, Sasienis, Parkers, Petersons . . . all of which were "mass-produced." The only limit on the mass involved was the production efficiency of the machinery.

They are still "Classics" despite this.

Several folks here collect Stanwells, for that matter.

The "artist" BS hijacks an intelligent appreciation of who an artist is and what he does.

IMO

:face:

Yes, I blew it with my first comment...

The original question was:
My question is this:

What newly introduced brands do you think will become the classics of the future....I'm not talking arstisan made pipes here, I mean full on mass produced pipes that are value for money, are well made and above all smoke well.
I think higher grade Peterson's will remain collectible in future years.

Newly Introduced (good catch there) ?

Guys just getting established.

Craps shoot.

Because everybody you've heard of is probably "established."

Catch 22.

Yak":jd7w7m1f said:
Newly Introduced (good catch there) ?

Guys just getting established.

Craps shoot.

Because everybody you've heard of is probably "established."

Catch 22.

I can't read apparently...

As usual, no real answer, just depends on WHO you ask and WHAT THEY think :twisted:

I'm glad someone found a 4x4 Gremlin, I knew I'd seen one before. They're too awesome not to jack-up and make a redneck rig out of, right?

The "newly-introduced" I even went so far as to interpret as old companies and there new lines, or new ways of making their pipes compared to that of old. It was kind of an innocently loaded question, but boy did it throw us into discussionville quickly.

Mussolini hoped German ownership would help him out, too...I'm not surprised it's now "LamBORGhini" ...good luck to the krauts... :lol: I haven't kept up on supercars since I was 12... my info's a bit out of date.

Prediction : NeoClassical.

Anybody not invested in the hype can see the last 30 or so years as more a playground than an artistic era. People buy the stuff, so people make it. But when the double-brested suit moment comes, it'll be over.

Hold the Flying Esquimo Foot, please. :twisted:

...isn't this the "artistic flair" going a step farther than what happened with the freehand styles that popped up 30 years ago? That was the first set of shapes that really took root as contrary to the classical shapes, to my reckon. Not an argument one way or the other, just an observation. Artistry is always trendy, that's why classics are classics...shape-wise, anyway. As for consistently good product from a good maker? *shrug* I dunno.

Yeah. In contemporary use, "artists" are whatever clowns the record company are promoting this week. I see that in pipes. A lot.

An artist can make a truly beautiful billiard. Or an apple. Or a prince. Freehand.

There aren't many of them.