What are you carving?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Manhattan

Reaction score
What's on the workbench for you carvers? New equipment, materials, shape experiments? Keep us posted here.

(P.S. If you're working on something for the ad hoc carving contest, remember not to post pics... it's supposed to be blind judging.)

I'm currently rebuilding and refinishing a metal lathe in the evenings after work and trying to make pipes on the weekend. Here is my latest work.
Sadly a nasty flaw appeared in the chamber of this pipe, so it's all mine.
IMG_2776.jpg
IMG_2788.jpg

I just need to do some finish sanding and final shaping to the stem on this one. A few stummels waiting patiently.
IMG_2796.jpg
IMG_2797.jpg

Very nice looking work! That unfinished bent pipe looks like it'll be a real gem.

Thanks fellas. I'll try to keep this updated with pics as I progress.

Abe

laherb":sbc0nqxu said:
Thanks fellas. I'll try to keep this updated with pics as I progress.

Abe
Definitely keep us posted, those look very nice!

Finished up the Bent Brandyish Eggish this past weekend.
IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

Abe

I have determined that I really suck at pipe carving. I envy those who don't. Nice work.

laherb":srhqjhru said:
I'm currently rebuilding and refinishing a metal lathe in the evenings after work and trying to make pipes on the weekend. Here is my latest work.
IMG_2776.jpg
IMG_2788.jpg
Both pipes you posted look great but I REALLY like this one!
What kind of flaw in the chamber are you talking about? Pics?

Thanks guys.

Swinger, here's a pic of the ugly bugger that showed up in the chamber.
IMG_2787.jpg

I've been breaking it in slowly, and haven't had any problems with that spot yet, I'm keeping a watchful eye on it.

Abe

laherb - your work looks incredible. Do you plan the shape for each pipe on paper, or do you have an image in your head and work from there?

Thanks Martin. Most of the time I will draw the pipe to scale on paper. That gives me a better idea of how the pipe will look and if something needs adjusted. There are times when I have a drawing, I'll start shaping, run into a flaw and have to change the shape.

Abe

laherb":d2x4px6z said:
IMG_2776.jpg
IMG_2788.jpg
LOVE the shape and finish of this pipe! Nicely done! You should do more :)

this here is a baby i am working on right now - a Cobra freehand.... it has a lot of work on it .. the stem needs to be bend, two more layers of staining and sanding... polishing and waxing... i guess two or three more days... depending upon my free time... :)
:)
imy opinion it will turn out nice - briar is perfect - very nice grain and no faults in it... :)

qq3i3p.jpg

sq5baw.jpg