WHAT are you smoking FOR...?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quang Pham

Reaction score
Good evening everyone,

After several years smoking a pipe, I think it's time for me to ask myself that question and try to answer it in the best way possible. Why am I doing what I am doing (smoking a pipe)..? And the answers are:

- Because of the tobacco/nicotine addition's satisfaction (50%)
- Because of the pleasure of contemplation, (e.g. being most myself when sitting alone with a pipe) pleasure of collecting pipes and taking good care of them, pleasure of storing and discovering hundred of tobacco blends, and more, you tell me...;) (50%)

And you, could you please tell me your answers...

I think for me it is all about the relaxation of habit, the smell, the taste, and the contemplation. I sometimes drop out of smoking for days at a time when I travel or get involved in some deep project that eats up my time. Surprisingly I never seem to have any symptoms I hear are associated with nicotine withdrawal.

I smoke a pipe because it connects me to that energy that flows around us all.  It gives me time and a "program" if you will where the process of selecting and then loading the pipe, the decision of what tobacco and why do I want this one as against something different.  I usually sit on my outdoor porch with my buddy Pepe (my brother/dog), looking out at the small forest that is on my property.  I enjoy the silence...except for life of course.  I listen for the squirrels and different birds, especially when the squirrels sense the red tailed hawk or the bard owl is close.  They squeak out the alarm.
So I enjoy the "Zen" of smoking, the relaxation, the sense of completeness when the smoke spirits are with us...past owners of estate pipes, the feelings of the craftsman that made the pipe...I guess you look for all that...when you smoke a pipe.  Nicotine? I don't look for that as a treat...I've got enough "treat" with the medication I take daily.

I look for the peace, and embrace it and the friends I know I have here on this site...including you, Quang.  It is a pleasure to have you here and to hear your thoughts on everything.

You will find a unique brotherhood exists here.  True compassion and love of one another.  You are lucky to have found us and we are lucky that you are here to be part of the family.

Peace be to you, brother.

Well, it is a need but I am not really sure what need it fulfills.

What I can address is the periods where I wasn't smoking. I'd be sitting and doing an activity -- often programming. I would reach for tobacco. My hand would actually go toward the desk searching for what wasn't there. I'd catch what I was doing and smile at the auto movement. Some stress may have been involved at times. But, I don't really see that as the primary operator. I think I was just looking for a brief break from current activity. A bit of relaxation from my activities.

There is certainly the addictive side to it. When I was committed to stopping, that wasn't a real factor. I didn't have a painful withdrawal or anguish in the process. Other times I'd thought to without resolve and that never succeed for a day. So, some withdrawal is there but seemed easy to offset by resolve.

In the end, habit seems to guide my smoking. It somehow lends comfort which can certainly vary with whatever need is present.

If for nothing else because I still can.

Wow, I am happy that you re interested in addressing your opinion over this topic, I mean I really learning something more. I have read each of your post, word by word, knowing that you have cared for the using context in the most understandable way for me to read, appreciated.

I like them very much some of your sayings:

Pepesdad1: " it connects me to that energy that flows around us all..."
JkenP:        " habit guides smoking and lends the comfort..."

......something that I never thought before.

Quang, glad to have you here. You ask a legitimate question.

For me I'd have to echo what others have said.

Apart from the flavor and relaxation it provides, it also helps me to slow down in my busy day and think about what's really important to me.

I also appreciate the skill of getting the baccy just right, and the differences one pipe can make vs another. Fascinating. Challenging but rewarding, as I'm a creature of details.

In any case please continue to post here often. You offer a fresh perspective and that's worth its weight in gold.

Cheers,

RR

I smoke because I enjoy it.

It provides a little diversion and some study breaks when I am reading or writing.

If you are in conversation with someone, you have an instant delay at hand while you ponder an answer. You can reach for a tamper or a relight and collect thoughts without obviously stalling.

There is what Kurt Vonnegut would call a "karass' formed at conferences and retreats. The pipe smokers get together for a smoke after dinner. Work gets done and connections are made.

The collection/maintenance aspect is only about 5% for me. I smoke them until they don't smoke any more. Then I send them off to be fixed. I don't polish stems or wax bowls. I do ream cake when it needs it

It connects me to my dad who passed away 5 years ago. He smoked a pipe and enjoyed it. I smoke a pipe and enjoy it for the same reasons he did but I also can see my dad in my mind smoking his pipe while I smoke mine and that pleases me even more. Here's to you Dad. :D 

AJ

Brewdude":xnezpwx0 said:
Quang, glad to have you here. You ask a legitimate question.

For me I'd have to echo what others have said.

Apart from the flavor and relaxation it provides, it also helps me to slow down in my busy day and think about what's really important to me.

I also appreciate the skill of getting the baccy just right, and the differences one pipe can make vs another. Fascinating. Challenging but rewarding, as I'm a creature of details.

In any case please continue to post here often. You offer a fresh perspective and that's worth its weight in gold.

Cheers,

RR
Thanks a lot RR, I m glad too to see you guys like it, you are so generous giving such a nice words to me. I think now I have one more answer to my question: when smoking a pipe I have a good reason to connect to this wonderful community...

I smoke for the pure enjoyment of it. From the first time I open a tin or package and get the initial smell, to the way the tobacco changes over time.

ajn27511":s52coq3u said:
It connects me to my dad who passed away 5 years ago. He smoked a pipe and enjoyed it. I smoke a pipe and enjoy it for the same reasons he did but I also can see my dad in my mind smoking his pipe while I smoke mine and that pleases me even more. Here's to you Dad. :D 

AJ
AJ, I can completely relate.

My late Pap smoked a pipe as far as I can remember. In some ways I feel I'm connected to him when I do so.

He passed away just over 10 yrs ago. Yet not a day goes by that I don't think about him.

I really miss that man, and his stamp is firmly upon my soul!

:sunny: 

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":wkla2i8l said:
ajn27511":wkla2i8l said:

AJ
AJ, I can completely relate.

My late Pap smoked a pipe as far as I can remember. In some ways I feel I'm connected to him when I do so.

He passed away just over 10 yrs ago. Yet not a day goes by that I don't think about him.

I really miss that man, and his stamp is firmly upon my soul!

:sunny: 

Cheers,

RR
Oh yes. That's exactly what I'm talking about. My Dad was my hero as I was growing up. Other boys had the Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, Elliot Ness, Superman, and etc. for their heros. Not me. It was Dad right up till today. I find myself doing so many things like he did. The way he would sit and stare at the floor, (I've discovered what he was looking at), or other mannerisms that he had I find that I do it the same way. When I notice that I'm doing something the same way as my Dad it makes me feel kinda warm inside and I invariably smile and I miss him so much. Smoking a pipe helps bring him near. :heart: :( :heart: 

AJ

Pure enjoyment and everything that goes along with it.
Quality "Pipe Time" with my son.
Relaxing, helps me take the time slow down & reflect on whats important.
Briar, Briar, Briar. Just enjoy the time spent enjoying the different grains & wood patterns and apreciating the craftmanship that the pipe maker put into something that i will enjoy for a lifetime and will someday pass on to my son and hopefuly grandchildren some day.
The chance to get to know indivdual artist/pipemakers and fellow smokers thru the BOB forum.

Quang, for me a huge part of the hobby is the anticipation.

Anticipation when buying a new pipe.

Anticipation when buying a new tin of tobacco, and checking it into the cellar.

Anticipation when opening an aged tin of tobacco, which should be close to it's peak in flavor and smoothness.

Anticipation when restoring a classic estate, which was neglected by it's previous owner.

Anticipation when I look at a pipe I prepared today, which I plan to set fire to tomorrow.

Of course, one of the ultimate pleasures is the final reward of setting fire to a premium pipe tobacco, which I, as well as others, have invested so much effort in preparing.

For me, it's not just about the smoking of the pipe, but all the rituals that lead up to the final act.

It's the satisfaction in knowing that the efforts of so many talented people, have put their heart and soul into pipe carving, and tobacco blending. To me, these things are much more satisfying than the nicotine, which so many people assume are my sole motivation.

Dutch":bnq04udt said:
Quang, for me a huge part of the hobby is the anticipation.

Anticipation when buying a new pipe.

Anticipation when buying a new tin of tobacco, and checking it into the cellar.

Anticipation when opening an aged tin of tobacco, which should be close to it's peak in flavor and smoothness.

Anticipation when restoring a classic estate, which was neglected by it's previous owner.

Anticipation when I look at a pipe I prepared today, which I plan to set fire to tomorrow.

Of course, one of the ultimate pleasures is the final reward of setting fire to a premium pipe tobacco, which I, as well as others, have invested so much effort in preparing.

For me, it's not just about the smoking of the pipe, but all the rituals that lead up to the final act.

It's the satisfaction in knowing that the efforts of so many talented people, have put their heart and soul into pipe carving, and tobacco blending. To me, these things are much more satisfying than the nicotine, which so many people assume are my sole motivation.
You re right, and may be not only yourself, I think you have spoken for many pipers who have the same feeling but just dont know how to express their feeling...

Man, a lot of great responses and I have to agree with them!

For me, my dad smoked a pipe after work.
I always loved that smell! (Captain Black White)

I started smoking Cigars at 18 in 1998 when "the boom" was going on.
I quit for a long time simply because I was 18 and living in the poorest state in the US.
Quite simply, my bank account could not keep up with my taste buds!

I have since climbed the ladder of success and rekindled my love for fine cigars.
One day I wondered over to the pipe rack and purchased a Savinelli pipe and pouch of Captain Black White to see how I liked it. I had no clue what I was doing and HATED it! So I put the pipe away and went back to stogies.

While on another forum, some of the guys were talking about smoking more pipes. I was green with envy that they were enjoying these blends and I was missing out on all the fun! So, about a month ago, I picked up some tins of "real" tobacco and did my homework on pipe smoking. After my first "successful" bowl, I was hooked! I am now up to 12 pipes and 35ish tins!

I will say this forum has a lot to do with it as well! I feel a part of something bigger here. The friendships and generosity of every brother here is overwhelming at times! Helping out brothers in need, new guys looking for information, people just wanting to try new blends, etc. This is pretty awesome! The other forums I have been were never this open and accepting.

Sorry for the life story and being long-winded, but it was a great question and deserved a thoughtful response!

:cheers: :cheers: 

Smoke on!

Nate

Hi Nate

Glad you have gained back the pleasure of pipe smoking and you are absolutely right about this wonderful community here, hope to see you around,

Quang

I smoke because I love to smoke. I don't care if that means I'm addicted. I hope you enjoy your smokes. If it gets to no longer being fun, I'll quit.