What are you... Typing?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZombieWeinerDog

Reaction score
I wanted to make the first post in this new category. What kind of computer do you have?

I have a macbook pro 15 inch

System specs:

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
Ram: 4 GB
GPU: GeForce 8600M GT

I got seven different ones I use that cover the gamut but no Mac yet. Thinking about picking up a Mac Mini though.

My main laptop is an HP 6730b with an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz and 4GB RAM.

Then I have a server that I run all my important stuff on like SSH accounts for me and my friends for bypassing web filtering or securing our wireless connection while in coffee shops. Oh and as a media server. :lol:

It's runs an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3 GHz and has 8GB of RAM. Obviously a 64 bit system.

I'm not a gamer or graphics designer so nothing noteworthy as far as GPU's in any of my machines.

Yeah. A couple Core 2 Duo's. Getting a bit aged now. I lost a ASUS P5B motherboard a few months back. Have you tried to buy a Core 2 Duo motherboard recently? Slim pickens. Replaced it with a Gigabyte mini with onboard video and sound. Does what I need it to do in the ham shack. At least I was able to use the cpu and RAM. I have a P4 3.4gHz cpu sitting a drawer because there isn't any decent motherboards out there for it any longer. It was plenty fast. A Nuke reactor considering the amount of heat it produced.

Gateway M-6843 Laptop with a slick red casing and brushed aluminum keyboard surround. Pretty slick looking, always gets compliments.

Processor is a Core 2 Duo, has 3 Gigs RAM, don't remember the video but it's nothing fancy, and running Windows 7 32-bit. Have not had any problems with it other than the battery going south from basically just using it as a desktop and leaving it on and plugged in basically all day every day for the past 2 years. Got it at a Best Buy back to school type sale for around $530 if I recall right, which I think was a great price. I'd buy another for something basic, but I might be willing to shell out a little more now for a better video card that can handle some better computer games.

My main computer at home is a Mac Pro, dual quad-core Intel Xeons @ 3.0ghz, 12gb ram, about 6tb of hard drives hanging off of it and dual 24" apple displays.

For portables I have 2x 17" Macbook Pros, 2.8ghz, one for work, one for weekends. Wife has a 13" for her email and facebook.

Home theater has a Mac Mini on it for watching web TV, Hulu, etc. Great fun pretty much has replaced our DVR's.

Hunter5117":2kdwqi9o said:
My main computer at home is a Mac Pro, dual quad-core Intel Xeons @ 3.0ghz, 12gb ram, about 6tb of hard drives hanging off of it and dual 24" apple displays.
You don't **** around, do you? :lol: Sounds awesome.

More than 1 less than 7.
farm.jpg

Plus 1 on the desk ,

Couple here, laptop is an old Dell XPS 1530. T9300 chip, 4 GB and 320GB hard drive GeForce 8600M video card. Mostly it's hooked up as a desktop with an external HD and keyboard/mouse (Logitech G15 kb and G5 mouse).

Desktop is custom built with MSI mainboard, Intel Quad core, 4 GB Ram, dual 8800 GTX's (SLI) , 2x500 GB Western Digital HD's in RAID 0 1KW power supply (overkill I know) hooked up to a Dell 24" monitor same KB and mouse as above. I love my Logitech peripherals :D

Mac Pro Quad Core 2.8 GHz (mid-2010), 10GB RAM, 4 x 1TB HD

MacBook Pro 17" 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 100GB (7200RPM) HD

G5 DP 2.5 GHz, 6 GB RAM, 2 x 1TB HD, PCI-X card w/4 eSATA

A couple of G4s - Dual 1.42 GHz, FW800 "The wind tunnel/blast furnace from hell"

iMac G4 1 GHz 17" - White gumdrop w/flat panel

G4-400 "Yosemite" - PCI graphix

PB G4-400 Titanium

PB G3-400 "Lombard"

These are the ones that are working or at least available, although the Lombard seldom gets used any more. Older models are boxed up in the attic.

Everything's connected on a hard-wired LAN that I installed; none o' this commie pinko wireless crap ;) (Just kidding; wireless sucked back in 2000, compared to what it is today. So, I pulled in CAT5 cable, and since then there hasn't been any reason to go wireless...er, yet.)

Numerous external HD enclosures, running off eSATA or FW800; a few dozen hard drives, loaded with audio and video.

newjok11.png

p.s. YOW! Mr. Green is back! Thanks Jason! :mrgreen:

Desktop: some 4 year old HP pavilion falling apart slowly but surely. My next desktop will probably be an Alienware gaming computer.

But my main computing device is currently an iPad.

Mine is pretty dated, made from parts I gathered, found in trash piles, etc..
AMD Athlon 64 3400+, 2.2Ghz
Abit KN8 Motherboard
2GB Ram (limited by MB problems)
2 80Gig Maxtor HD's, 1 Western Digital 120GB
GeForce 9400GT Video, 512mb
old 16bit Soundblaster PCI sound
All running on Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" and stuffed in an Antec Lanboy case

Carlos":hdiwwaw2 said:
Yeah. A couple Core 2 Duo's. Getting a bit aged now. I lost a ASUS P5B motherboard a few months back. Have you tried to buy a Core 2 Duo motherboard recently? Slim pickens. Replaced it with a Gigabyte mini with onboard video and sound. Does what I need it to do in the ham shack. At least I was able to use the cpu and RAM. I have a P4 3.4gHz cpu sitting a drawer because there isn't any decent motherboards out there for it any longer. It was plenty fast. A Nuke reactor considering the amount of heat it produced.
core 2 duos are aged now, all being replaced by the core i5/i7/i9

i guess i should put what OS's im running. Ive got Osx of course, and ive got windows xp, windows 7, and ubuntu linux running on a little app called vmware fusion.

Old 'puter from like '02 or '05 I think, but hasn't let me down yet.

eMachines T6410
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
2.19GHz, 1.87GB RAM

XP Pro

And a pair of needle nose plyers for when the DVD-RW drive gets stuck! :lol:

ZombieWeinerDog":j6j1su7s said:
i guess i should put what OS's im running. Ive got Osx of course, and ive got windows xp, windows 7, and ubuntu linux running on a little app called vmware fusion.
You should give Virtual Box a try. Free, and so far it is more compatible and friendly to set up and keep working than I found with either VMW or Parallels. At least as of about a year ago when I made the switch, have not tried any other VM's since them.

2011-01-17215646-1.jpg

On the far left is a comp I'm dual-booting Server 2008 and Windows 7.

Middle (with two monitors) is my main, a custom from parts that's getting pretty old now:
• AMD Athlon II X2 240 @ 2.8 GHz
• 4GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401 MHz
• ATI Radeon HD 4850
• Die Hard

On the right is a shitty old Dell B120 running Xubuntu

I have a year old core duo 1.32 ghz Dell with 3 gigs of ram and 320 gig HD. It's good enough for what I do which is work on my drupal or joomla sites, writing as much as I can and surfing.

My favorite toy is my wfi iPad. I also love my htc droid incredible.

Wish I had a mac, but I'm too cheap spend the money. :)

Martin