What are your must-have production pipe brands?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mark":yaniw6vs said:
Cavicchis and Stanwells.
I missed the dirt cheap Cavicchis because I was underemployed or over married at the time and didn't have the extra dough.

But old Stanwells are hard to beat regardless the money spent.

I have always been a fan of English made pipes. I would love to have a Dunhill one day but for now I have a number of BBB's, GBD, and Dr. Plumb. They all smoke really well and are easy to clean. Also I tend to favor english blends so there is something fitting about smoking them through a pipe made in England. I have my eye on a BBB Minerva straight billiard at the moment. When I have my pennies saved I shall buy it.

Big fan of the regulars Pete's & Sav's but another you might want to look at is Chacom. I only have one of there pipes and it's a older bent short 4 1/2"er that smokes like a dream despite it's length. One of my favorites. Looking for another when I find the right one to see if they are really that good of pipes or did I just get lucky with this one.

Hawker":57w3uk45 said:
Big fan of the regulars Pete's & Sav's but another you might want to look at is Chacom. I only have one of there pipes and it's a older bent short 4 1/2"er that smokes like a dream despite it's length. One of my favorites. Looking for another when I find the right one to see if they are really that good of pipes or did I just get lucky with this one.

Shhhhhh... ;)

Bragging on a favorite pipe is like telling of a favorite getaway. Before long everyone else falls in love and it is no longer attainable.

You know those ugly glass pipes? Yep they are the best! ;)

Production brands for me would be Savinelli and Peterson, since I have more of them than any other marquee. Not saying they're any better or worse than any other production pipe, just that I don't have the history with others.

Cheers,

RR

Soshae, that may be true if we were talking low production type stuff.. I don't foresee a run on Pete's or Sav's pushing them into the unobtanium category... Unless someone has very deep pockets and a truck stop full of trailers worth of storage. But even then they'd just crank out another several hundred thousand and poof.. No problem.

If the Op had asked for out-of-production that'd be an entirely different story.

puros_bran":b25zvnp6 said:
Soshae, that may be true if we were talking low production type stuff.. I don't foresee a run on Pete's or Sav's pushing them into the unobtanium category... Unless someone has very deep pockets and a truck stop full of trailers worth of storage.    But even then they'd just crank out another several hundred thousand and poof.. No problem.

If the Op had asked for out-of-production that'd be an entirely different story.
True, but it can sure push prices up... supply and demand.

puros_bran":ll6er45w said:
I missed the dirt cheap Cavicchis because I was underemployed or over married  at the time and didn't have the extra dough.  
What shape are you partial to Butthead?

Peterson estates - I have 3 an all are excellent smokers, a 999, a 314, and a pre-republic
BSP - any of his pipes. He made a horn that will smoke anything I put in it to a fine ash.
Savanelli - Oom Paul that smokes super well.
Alpha - I have a gremilin that is as ugly as its name, but it smokes a dream. Not many people seem to like Alphas. They have a very good draw, but the shapes (of the ones I have seen) are hardly ever well done.
Growley - I have a split sitter oom paul that he custom made for me. Excellent smoker. I plan on buying more.

I love estate pipes. The only new pipes I have, are BSP or Growley. All the others are estates. Both savs in my collection are excellent smokers (though I prefer the Oom Paul to the straight)

mark":4eqexexx said:
puros_bran":4eqexexx said:
I missed the dirt cheap Cavicchis because I was underemployed or over married  at the time and didn't have the extra dough.  
What shape are you partial to Butthead?
Don't. I'm one of the few people that have your actual home adress and have access to lots and lots of primo NY (both Saratoga and Belmont variety) horse shit.

Simple Man":g3b6ko97 said:
puros_bran":g3b6ko97 said:
Soshae, that may be true if we were talking low production type stuff.. I don't foresee a run on Pete's or Sav's pushing them into the unobtanium category... Unless someone has very deep pockets and a truck stop full of trailers worth of storage.    But even then they'd just crank out another several hundred thousand and poof.. No problem.

On the one off type stuff or the highend new stuff yeah.. Or the ebay estate stuff yeah.. But a new Pete is pretty much a new Pete cost regardless..15 other guys on BoB buying a new one ain't gonna muck that up much.
Besides, pretty much anyone of us could have named 9 out of 10 that would make up the answers before the question was asked.

puros_bran":6qe03a83 said:
Simple Man":6qe03a83 said:
puros_bran":6qe03a83 said:

On the one off type stuff or the highend new stuff yeah.. Or the ebay estate stuff yeah.. But a new Pete is pretty much a new Pete cost regardless..15 other guys on BoB buying a new one ain't gonna muck that up much.  
Besides, pretty much anyone of us could have named 9 out of 10 that would make up the answers before the question was asked.
Oh, I know this little area of the pipe smoking community isn't going to have much effect on Peterson prices, or any other brand. It would have to be a pipe buying frenzy throughout the world to have any real effect on a certain brands prices. I think we were both just having a bit of fun of redirecting attention. The only time I feel the competition on this board is when Mattia lists a certain pipe that I want a few days before payday. :lol:

Trust me, it would probably do my bank account better if I had a hard time finding pipes I like. :lol: