What brands of British pipes should we have?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel7734

Reaction score
I am a long time lover of British pipes. Over the years I have had Dunhills, Ferndowns, Ashtons, Northern Briar, Chris Askwith, and now an Askwith on the way. I am wondering what you guys and gals think are just have brands for British pipe lovers collection. I have had to shave my collection down and currently only have 6 Ferndowns, 1 Askwith, 1 James Upshall on the way, 1 Tillshead on the way, and an Ashton in the works. I feel I should buy a Dunhill again if I find the right one. I really only like two shapes, large bent bulldogs and large bent billiards, so it's hard finding them in all brands.

I bought my first Sasieni 39 years ago. I've had numerous of these wonderful pipes over the years and I still watch eBay for them. They are great smokers

I also have a couple of GBD's, Dr Blumb, Parkers and two Dunhills. Not impressed by the "Dunnies" at all, they are just in the rack to "impress" other people :lol:

BIG plus " 1 " for Sasieni pipes!! Also as mentioned, GDB's and look on eBay for an Olde London. Last year I purchased an Olde London Chubby Pot and restored it to mint condition. If a fabulous smoking pipe and high quality briar. A great pipe for long term clenching :cheers: :cheers:
I own 4 different Olde London pipes and don't smoke them enough.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
5vsC9v2.jpg" style="width: 700px;height: 400px

It's no secret that I treasure the old Comoy's especially the pre war Royal Comoy's. They were made from briar that was at least one hundred years old and they are a work of art. However any Comoy's made before the merger will be a great smoker delivering some of the best smoking experiences ever. IMHO. :)

AJ

I have 4 GBD's and they are all superb smokers. One of them, a 789 smooth pot, is even from the early Cadogan era and it still smokes cool, dry and sweet. Stems are great, bits are thin and comfortable, drilling is spot on with a draw that's fairly open. Excellent value too.

"What brands of British pipes should we have?"

What ever brands you wish to have, there's no law that I'm aware of saying you must have certain brands.
I have a little of everyone and some I have a few more of but, only because I wanted to. ;)

DrumsAndBeer":ua3wysrz said:
I have 4 GBD's and they are all superb smokers. One of them, a 789 smooth pot, is even from the early Cadogan era and it still smokes cool, dry and sweet. Stems are great, bits are thin and comfortable, drilling is spot on with a draw that's fairly open. Excellent value too.
I have a variety of GBD's and they are all great pipes. There is a 789 smooth pot in the herd, and it is an excellent smoker. They have good bits that are comfortable and a little "grippy."

Old British pipes, any decent marque and their seconds. I prefer Dunhill for shapes, and Charatan for wood. And I've always wanted a Comoy's Blue Riband. An old Blue Riband. These are the British pipes you should have. Anything else and you might as well go German or Italian or join a circus and smoke Swisher Sweets.

Prerequisites would be:
- GBD (pre-C)
- Comoy's (pre-C)
- Ashton (Taylor)
- Dunhill (ever Brit fan should scratch that itch at least once)
- Sasieni (Four Dot era or earlier)

If you like larger pipes, add:
- Charatan
- James Upshall
- Ferndown
- Northern Briar

If you want an artisan Brit, the choices are slim. I have a couple of Askwith pipes and love them (hand made and hand finished).

What about Blakemar Briars? They have a really nice assortment of traditional English shapes and their prices are nice too.
I almost never see them mentioned though. I'm thinking about getting one soon. Maybe the Woodstock.

riff raff":qjbr6ham said:
.....and every serious piper should own at least 2 Savinelli pipes.

Psmith":qcs1ennv said:
What about Blakemar Briars?  They have a really nice assortment of traditional English shapes and their prices are nice too.  
I almost never see them mentioned though.  I'm thinking about getting one soon.  Maybe the Woodstock.
I have several Blakemars and I am quite happy with them.

SpeedyPete":y5jmn6ng said:
riff raff":y5jmn6ng said:
.....and every serious piper should own at least 2 Savinelli pipes.
But as the thread is about British pipes it doesn't really apply. :p

I had forgotten that I recently acquired a couple of GBDs. Old GBDs. My first quality pipe was a GBD, many years ago, but I lost it to a temper tantrum and never bought another till last year or whenever it was. They are excellent, and I do mean excellent, as in "they excel." Some, in my opinion, are a bit weird aesthetically, but the classic shapes are often right on.

You can't go wrong with Dunhills ... especially blasts done in the 1960's. I don't like Charlatans and own none of that brand. Ashtons vary greatly, some say according to the condition of the pipe maker on any given day. Have you checked out Petersons. Not English, I know, but the pre-Republic Petes are wonderful ... never had one that wasn't a good smoker and so many of their shapes are unique.

Rob D