What causes more tongue bit English or VA/Per

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stogiegila

Reaction score
I am curious as to which blend English or VA/Per tends to cause more tongue bit? Does VA have a higher tendency to bite because of the sugar content or do Orientals tend to cause more tongue irritation?

I was doing fine with some Va/Pers but last night I had some English blends and got bit pretty good. Granted my pipe loading techniques still need some work.

Thanks

Since it's easier for most people to smoke latakia mixtures some of us sometimes smoke them harder/faster than we do virginias and burn our tongue. Lat mixtures don't bother me at all but va/vaper/vaburs can bite me if I let it.

Since most traditional English/Balkan mixtures are Va based, learning to SIP your smokes helps keep the biting down that can happen with a to enthusiastically smoked bowl. It also lets ALL those nice smoky/spicy flavors that these blends can deliver get a chance to assault your taste buds :twisted:

I really don't think my problem lies with smoking too fast. I basically breathe smoke. I think I'm still having issues getting my packing and tamping down

I usually have to relight a bowl 4-5 times during a smoke and a typical pipe will last me about an hour. But I think during the delights I'm getting torched

This is a tricky question. What bites some folks won't bite others. I'd say that if a smoker is fairly familiar with the way each specific blend burns, how to pack, how to light, ect. it comes down to body chemistry. In my personal experience latakia bites me more than Virginia. I have a friend that can't touch Virginia with a 10 foot pole or his mouth will be raw for days. YMMV.

If the bowl is tamped to hard , re-lites can get hot for sure. I have what I call "smokus interuptus" style of smoking with just about all my bowls, setting the pipe down, it goes out, I have to relite multiple times thru a bowl so know what you mean . I smoke a lot of st. Va flakes so can get bit on the relight if I don't tamp right and get over enthusiastic on the re-lite for sure :twisted:

I find its a different bite from va and orientals. Orientals give me a more of a metallic /minty tingle where Va's give a raw feeling. Then there are some brands I can't touch no matter the genre, they just tear my tongue a new one.

Not all fire is equal. I do relights with a Zippo. The Zippo with it's soft flame helps me to not scortch my tongue. If you use one of those torch lighters, look out. Those are like using gas for welding.

monbla256":1mdu4u4d said:
If the bowl is tamped to hard , re-lites can get hot for sure. I have what I call "smokus interuptus" style of smoking with just about all my bowls, setting the pipe down, it goes out, I have to relite multiple times thru a bowl so know what you mean . I smoke a lot of st. Va flakes so can get bit on the relight if I don't tamp right and get over enthusiastic on the re-lite for sure :twisted:
Ditto!

Beyond proper technique, chemistry is everything. Us being all different, then add the variables of tobacco on top of it, I don't think anyone can give you a definitive answer to this question.

Experiment. If it bites, set it aside. If it doesn't, enjoy it. Don't throw tobacco away, though--revisit it later. I suggest this during season changes. You might be surprised.

8)

When I picked the pipe back up last October I made a concerted effort to slow down. For about 6 weeks I rejoiced at being able to smoke 2-3 bowls a day without a sore mouth; I could even smoke 2 bowls back-to-back, something I'd never been able to do. But I overdid it, and having touchy oral tissues to begin with, my mouth has never really recovered.

Twelve years ago when I began smoking it seemed to be my tongue that caught the brunt of the heat. Every night when I went to bed I'd examine it, and the whitened patches on my tongue adjacent to the bit corresponded to the pain. I didn't pay much attention to it and continued smoking too fast. Fast forward to about 2007 and it became the roof of my mouth, particularly just behind my upper front teeth, that hurt, and it became chronic. So last October I began smoking with that tenderness.

Today I am in the 7th day of a smoking hiatus. If I ignore the tenderness it gets worse. Smoking with a sore mouth robs it of its joy. I'm trying to get my mouth back to where it was in October, a residual but not worsening soreness. If I slow down enough, and this makes a great deal of difference, I'm hoping it will heal.

The point of this is that if your mouth is sore, don't smoke. If you do you may find yourself on a smoking hiatus. What Kyle said about individual mouth chemistry is another baseline. Some guys can smoke fast, multiple bowls a day, and be none the worse for it; many others, including me, can't. Space your bowls if you need to do so. Listen to what your mouth tells you. Listen to what your mouth tells you, as you have been doing, about the interaction of blends and your mouth.

Mike, have you tried Biotene? This stuff worked wonders for me, although my issue wasn't related to sore mouth, rather more like a funk where nothing tasted much of anything.

I'm past the funk, but continue to rinse with Biotene several times/day. It's supposed to be good for dry mouth and sooth oral irritations.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

Another super cheap healing alternative is warm salty water, especially right before bed. Here is an article which explains why salt water rinsing can be so beneficial.....

Warm Salt Water Rinses: Why They Work

I have always recommended warm salt water rinses after clients have had a particularly difficult cleaning appointment to soothe the tissues and promote healing. Recently however, a number of my clients decided to start salt water rinsing daily and the results have been phenomenal. Given that this was the only behavioral change that we could find to explain the results, I decided I had better do a little more research into salt and its healing properties.

For thousands of years, people have used salt and water to heal the body. Egyptians recorded its effectiveness on wounds. Hippocrates, The Father of Medicine made use of remedies containing salt after noticing the therapeutic qualities of seawater on the injured hands of fishermen. Roman doctors dispensed drinks and ointments made with salt and during the Renaissance period doctors recommended salt baths for skin diseases and itching.

It would appear that salt water rinses are good because they alkalinize the mouth (opposite of acidify, which is what the bacteria create) and the alkalinity helps decrease the bacteria count because they like an acid environment. Additionally, salt water is astringent and speeds wound healing through reducing inflammation and contracting the tissues.

In a British Dental Journal Study published in 2003, it was determined that the heat of the solution produces a therapeutic increase in blood flow to the affected area that promotes wound healing and that the isotonic (balanced inside and outside the cell) environment created prevents destruction of the cells migrating into the area that are trying to repair the wound.

While most of us typically would grab the table salt, now knowing what I know about the differences in salt, I would advise clients to choose anything but as the natural chemical structure has been altered through processing and the many additional benefits of pure salt have been lost.

Once again, some of the old tried and true remedies are still around for good reason.
Give it a try! I’d love feedback. Here on my blog, you’ll get commentluv. This is a plug-in that gives you the opportunity to leave a link back to your own site when you leave feedback.

Until next time,

Kathleen

http://woodlanddental.ca/press/2011/06/14/warm-salt-water-rinses-why-they-work/

Interesting read Dutch. I will definitely give it a try. It's funny but now that I am crazing my pipe more than my cigars, I have to turn back to my cigars until the tongue bite from my pipe smoking subsides. :lol:

Stogiegila":lxkktg4w said:
Interesting read Dutch. I will definitely give it a try. It's funny but now that I am crazing my pipe more than my cigars, I have to turn back to my cigars until the tongue bite from my pipe smoking subsides. :lol:
Stogie, that is exactly what I have learned to do. I use my cigars to pace myself with my pipes, especially on the weekends, when I tend to smoke more.