What constitutes an 'old' tin?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougc905

Reaction score
Just checking 4noggins.com for their shipping rates when I noticed that they have consignment tobacco for sale. Intrigued, I took a look.... and was shocked to see what they are asking for what I consider to be not old but merely middle aged tins. Some of these tins only date back to 2005 and they want 3x list! Astounding! Others dating to 1998. I can see those being regarded as old, but just.

Anyway, MOST of my tins date from the late 1990's and early 2000's. This price multiplication is nuts. It's just false economy.

The prices on those particular tins do seem abnormally high, at least at first glance...can't really guess as to why. They are consignment tins though, so maybe it's just a case of whoever owned them expects too much.

Yes, I agree that the prices for aged tobacco are a little inflated.

The aged tobacco as a market has really only come about in the last few years. People have been doing it for a long time, on purpose or inadvertently. The idea that aged tobacco is worth more, however, is something that has happend in only the last couple of years, fueled mostly by the internet forums. Discontinued tobaccos obviously will be more expensive, but currently availble blends that are simply older is a harder one to quantify.

My guess is that it can go two ways:

As tobacco becomes harder to get and taxation makes it too expensive to be practical, people will be hoarding like mad. Having full cellars, much of that product will age, thus flooding the market with aged leaf. If the price for "fresh" tobacco is already exhorbinant the market simply won´t support 3x´s shelf value. The price will come down, and age will be more novelty.

Internet sales and postal delivery of tobacco will be forbidden and it´ll all come crashing down. Back to the B&M where only a relative few in choice urban ocations can stock and sustain a huge variety of tobaccos. The "collectible sealed tin" loophole will disappear. If you haven´t a decent B&M in your town and aren´t willing to drive to a huge urban center, it´s back to Walgreens for a bucket of Capt Black. At that point age will be superfluous- simple availability will be the issue.

MisterE":hafby4qu said:
Internet sales and postal delivery of tobacco will be forbidden and it´ll all come crashing down.
If that's what is driving people, then you citizens need another revolution (of one sort or another.)

I'll tell you that postal delivery of tobacco is already illegal in Canada. That hasn't stopped me from receiving or sending packages containing. This from Canadian shops as well. Do you really think a postal clerk can be bothered to check whats in your package?

There sure are a lot of people worrying about what they can have a hand in preventing now. How many of you folks are members of Cigar Rights of America? You ALL should be! And when they send out their email alerts to petition your various legislative members, you should be sending those emails and having all your friends do so as well! I'm a member and I am not even a US citizen!

Anyway, my 2cents.
Doug