What did I just buy?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubbya

Reaction score
I went antique store surfing today and found another Kaywoodie. The other one I have is a good smoker, so I picked it up. I wiped the weird goo off of the outside of the bowl and found that this one is a Drinkless Kaywoodie.
Is there something special about this one?

When you unscrew the stem, it should have a metal stinger with a ball on the end of it. That's part of their "Drinkless" system. If I remember right, there is 3 hole and 4 hole versions.

Carlos":1fmdc4au said:
When you unscrew the stem, it should have a metal stinger with a ball on the end of it. That's part of their "Drinkless" system. If I remember right, there is 3 hole and 4 hole versions.
Yep. 3 holes in there. I didn't even look in there. Now, how do you clean that little booger? Those holes are tiny.

You can jam a pipe cleaner through those little holes. You can also dip the whole metal stinger in a little of your cleaning alcohol of choice.

You just bought a great pipe. With luck and some elbow grease, it can be restored to its former splendor. A little info here.

Early on in my pipe-smoking career, I somehow got hooked on Kaywoodies. Before I knew it (and more importantly, before my wife knew it) I had about 30 of them :face: I've narrowed the field down to around 12 or 15, but I still can't pass up a nice one on eBay... :cheers:

Mr_Jeff":mu245b5y said:
You just bought a great pipe. With luck and some elbow grease, it can be restored to its former splendor. A little info here.
Based on that, I have a pre '36 pipe. That article says that it smokes like a Dunhill of the same era and, while I have no Dunhills, I now want one if that's true. It really is a great smoker with absolutely gorgeous grain once I got all of the crap off of it. It looked and felt like somebody tried to use candle wax instead of butcher's wax as a wood polish.