What Do I Have Here?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bemused

Reaction score
Hey folks. I ended up with this pipe and am not sure what it's made of. The discoloring makes me think it's a meer from what I've read online but it's heavy like porcelain. Also the shank appears to be a composite wood underneath where the bit goes in, I didn't get a picture of that but I can if it will help. The pipe is unmarked. Also the bowl doesn't appear to be lined, looks like all same material. Not sure if this is enough info but figured it was worth a shot.

Thanks for the replies. The shank is definitely wood, just checked. I guess that's what is throwing me, and also it is heavy compared to the other meer that came with it. Seems strange but this is my first foray into Non-briar pipes.

That change anything or is this telltale African block?

Yes, I was given one similar to this. It's a block 'meer with the rim darkened to give a used look. Mine has a vulcanite stem though.

Ahh! Let me take a guess.......................a Pipe! :scratch:

SpeedyPete":ayxp7hni said:
Cartaphilus":ayxp7hni said:
 :shock: .......really :?:
Yeah! You don't see the resemblance? ;)

Cartaphilus":hq0x0214 said:
SpeedyPete":hq0x0214 said:
Cartaphilus":hq0x0214 said:
 :shock: .......really :?:
Yeah! You don't see the resemblance? ;)
This was such a radical theory that I dismissed it at first. However, last night I loaded the contraption up with Escudo and took a lighter to it. I was in fact able to reliably get smoke... I think he's right! (More testing to follow)

It looks like many of the pipes sold as 'Dutch Made Meerschaum' at the site below
Yes it does, very very much like them :D

Thanks all!