What do Pipe smokers think about Cigar smokers and viceversa

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MisterE":ts411b2c said:
Pipe smokers see cigar smokers much like a flyfisherman views a bait fisherman.... :lol:

No offense to the cheese, worms, and marshmallow crowd. ;)

Whatdoya call spearfishermen? ;)

I am young and inexperienced but I very much enjoy both cigars and pipes. As others of you have already stated, pipe smoking is an art and a skill while cigar smoking is less engaging and challenging. I enjoy smoking a pipe more when I'm alone and cigars with friends. Pipe-smoking and cigar-smoking both are leisure activities that I very much enjoy, but cigars are a much greater commitment in terms of the expense and the time they require.

My brother makes pipes and has made three for me, all of impeccable quality and each made from a different wood: claro walnut burl churchwarden, a dublin style ebauchon briar, and an ebony wood pipe. He is a talented carpenter and craftsmen and his attention to detail has resulted in my increased enjoyment and appreciation of pipes and pipe-smoking. I have only tried about 10 different blends and brands of tobacco, but smoke my navy blend plumcake mac baren three or four days a week, and only have one cigar every couple of weeks.

RealtorFrank":nd6i6d1a said:
I started pipe smoking (very recently) after being a cigar smoker for about the last ten years. I had always noticed the guys who would come into my B&M who smoked pipes. I always had respect for them, but it was just not my cup of tea. Over time, I got more and more interested, well about six months ago, I started. My mistake was I bought a crappy pipe, and said this sucks. After talking with the Keith Moore, my B&M's pipe guy, he convinced me to try a Savinelli Capri estate pipe. Needless to say I love it now, found you guys on here, and have way too many pipes and tins of tobacco. I still enjoy a cigar about once a week, but am primarily smoking a pipe. I have discovered that pipe smoking does have much more skill involved, and I now have a new respect for other pipe smokers I meet. At the end of the day, I look at it like this, if I hadn't been a cigar smoker, I never would have tried a pipe. We all really need to band together so the smoke nazis won't put an end to us all together!
Damn right, sir. We gotta stick together, even the cigarette or hookah smokers. I just wish some smokers would dispense with the bull.

I've been a cigar smoker for over 25 years now. I'd still consider myself a cigar smoker first. I started smoking pipes about 14 years ago, and then suddenly stopped for about 10 years, but recently started up again. Throughout this time I never stopped smoking cigars.

Cigars are more convenient and to me a more social form of smoking. Pipes are more contemplative and more of a introspective loaner activity. Don't ask me why, but this is how I have always felt about them.

Tastes from cigars and pipes are way different. I think you need to search a bit more to get all the flavors and nuiances from pipe tobacco. I also tend to drink while smoking cigars but not my pipe. I haven't figure out why on that one yet.

I have found more cigar snobs out there than pipe snobs by far, but they exist in both worlds. For the most part I don't believe either side dislikes the other. They are just different.

If I'm going to a social gathering, I'm brining my cigars. If I'm home relaxing or reading a book, I smoke my pipe. On weekends, I usually enjoy both.

Because cigars are more convenient and taking less skill to smoke well, you will find more "posers" smoking cigars than pipes. I just ignore them anyway.

I just enjoy tobacco in general, be it a cigarette (9 times out of 10 it's an American Spirit regular), a pipe or a fine cigar. I've found that I tend to smoke cigarettes and my pipes more often than cigars mainly because cigars are a bit pricey for me right now and I can make a tin of tobacco and a pack of cigs last much longer. And I prefer the taste of my pipe tobacco more than cigars, but there are a few cigars I really enjoy know and again. It also has something to do with mood. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for a stogie you know what I mean?

In my opinion, the presence or absence of a cigar habit/hobby has very little to do with my opinion of a person. Unless it's a really fat cigar and he also has a mustache. The fat cigar/mustache combo makes me nervous. I don't know why.

Well said Frost...

Cigar vs. pipes: two distinctly different things, both GREAT.
Both give the pleasure of wonderful, layered and always different aroma, smell and taste.
Besides they really enhance your brain activity. One can simply think better when smoking cigar or pipe.

I was introduced to cigars by my Dutch friends: initially dutch type of cigar (essentially a short-filler), which I tried after some hesitation. Soon afterwords I triad a longfiller and that was it.

I have been smoking cigars 15 years or more, but not nearly as frequently as pipe ( I smoke 4-5 pipes a day, if I am working, on weekends much more). Yet do an avarege 1 cigar per week.
I also seem to change my taste through time for cigars, just as it changed for pipe tobacco.

What I find interesting is that while I enjoy working with my hands while I smoke pipe, for cigar I alway take time: a book or a movie is when I allow myself my cigar.
My pipe is my buddy ... my cigar is a present, treat.

I am a great lover of Montecristo Edmundo's (are they illegal in US ???). And as of last year Oliva's. They have an exquisit brand "Cain", not expensive (at least here) rather strong but really sweet: try them.

Initially I was tormented by my infidelity to pipes. I also hated the CigarAffacionado-ish flavor about smoking cigars (Dutch have also their snobbish media personalities ... smoking cigars).
But I concluded, it my bussines and my small pleasure only, so what the h...

As for infidelity thing, nowdays I see my two vices as a beatiful wife and a realy nice mistress.
Complementary but not mutually exchangable 8)

I just enjoy tobacco in general, be it a cigarette (9 times out of 10 it's an American Spirit regular), a pipe or a fine cigar.
I first smoked a hookah, then clove cigarettes, then cigars and plain cigarettes, and finally, a pipe (i thought they were quick 15-minute smokes because everyone I know who smoked one did so too quickly). I don't hate on cigarette smokers, and used to enjoy American Spirit and Lucky Strike unfiltered, though I most often smoke my pipe, now.

My main exposure to cigar smokers was friends at school, but they also smoked pipes, so there wasn't really a big difference. I don't hang out at B&M's (too far away), and I'm not near any smoking friends, so I smoke alone. It'd be nice if there were people close by, because I always enjoyed the communal aspect of smoking with friends at school, whether it was passing a hookah hose, sharing a cigarette together for a study break in the cold winter, or dressing up for grandiose 'High Life Society' meetings to share cigars and pipes and ideas.

I could care less what a person smokes or don't smoke or even if they smoke at all as long as they are a good person(not snobby,a jerk ect.) That being said I cannot stand the smell of most cigars, they make me sick. That probably came from me sneaking and smoking one of dads when I was a young teen and not knowing I wasn't supposed to inhale,I never been so ill in my life! :lol:

I'm pretty solidly in the pipe camp. I don't turn down a cigar, but I don't go out and buy them either.

This may be a semi subconscious reaction to the cigar snobbery of the 90s, but yeah. That being said, I don't really run across many cigar smokers these days. Thus, I have very little to base a general opinion on. As a rule, I look to the person rather than what they smoke.

I used to be mostly a cigar smoker. But lately I find more practical and easy to smoke pipes than cigars. I still believe cigars have a more intense and authentic natural tobacco taste. However, the cigar demands more from your body and as I grow older I prefer something milder and that requires less time for every smoke. I live at a high altitude city (2500mts) and I prefer to smoke pipes at my place. But when I travel to the sea shore I rather prefer a cigar.

Some of my best friends are cigar smokers. As I was for 20 years. Now, I mostly smoke pipes unless I'm fishing. Then its cigars as they tend to be more effective at keeping the bugs away. Bottom line is that I like the taste of pipes better. Its kinda like when I found myself, a bourbon drinker, stranded in Scotland for several weeks at a time when you Jack Daniels was going for $5 a dram, but the best Single Malt Scotch could be had at under $2 a dram. Of course, I drank SMS not bourbon. When I got home, I found that bourbon didn't taste "right" anymore. For the past 28 years, I've only had a couple of sips of friends bourbons just to make sure that I still don't like it. Its a matter of taste and I don't hold it against cigar smokers that they are wrong. But don't get me started on the freakin yuppie scum who drove up the price of my favorite cigars by nearly 200% despite the fact that they couldn't tell the difference between cameroon and maduro wrappers. I'm glad, however, to be over the bitterness.

I enjoy both pipes and cigars. When I quit cigs in 1995, I tried cigars and a pipe. At first, the pipe just wouldn't satisy me -- I had no idea what I was doing at the time. I dabbled with awful aromatic tobacco -- no wonder I preferred cigars -- and had no idea that smoking a pipe takes practice, some skill, and patience. But then the price of cigars went through the roof, and the availability of what I liked was a big issue -- so I had to switch to the pipe, and focus on getting it "right". Now, if I ever were forced to choose either a pipe or cigar for the rest of my life, it would be a pipe, no question. But I still enjoy cigars. At the end of the day, quality tobacco can be found in a cigar or a pipe.

Besides the wide range of fantastic tobaccos available in pipe tobacco form, what I really prefer about a pipe vs. a cigar is the history/memories that I have with the pipe -- when I light my pipe, I can remember exactly when I acquired the pipe, some of the experiences I had had with it (smoking with friends, for example), etc etc. With a cigar, there is nothing tangible left when it is over, obviously, to take with you.

There is room for both cigars and pipes in my life. In general, though, I prefer the company of people who smoke pipes not cigars.