What do yall use as a finish on pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltwaterCowboy

Reaction score
Konnichi wa, I was just curious - what do yall use as an exterior finish on your refurbished or new pipes?

I've got a friend who sent me a not-so-gently used Dr. Grabow and I'd like to breathe some new life into it. I have experience making grips for 1911 style pistols so I know a little of what I'm getting into, but I've never put my skills towards a pipe.

Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

are you planning on just re waxing to make her shine? or taking her down to bare wood?

I'd like to take it down to the grain, do some rustication on the bowl and either oil it or stain it but I'm not sure what would be best for use on a pipe.

most guys use an alcohol based stain like they use for leather dyes, I believe it is called feibings, and then buff it with caranuba wax

Yeah, don't finish a pipe with the same technique as making pistol grips. The pipes do better "breathing" as they are smoked, and most synthetic coatings will seal the pipe a bit too much. Carnauba wax and sometimes beeswax are favored.

Stain can be water or alcohol based, but the water-based stuff can stain the hand while smoking at times, so personally, I don't use it.

8)

Good stuff, I'm going to order a couple of kits before I go to the raw briar. I reckon a drill press should suffice for all the holes that need to be drilled.

I'm envisioning a bulldog or two...

Yup. What they said. Fiebing's leather dye and carnuba wax. Possibly a thin coat of shellac before the wax, but that con be a hot button debate in these parts. NOT varnish or polyurethane! That's not debatable. Putting a little shine on the briar is ok. Sealing it up with a synthetic is best avoided.

Lately I've been pretty taken by people not staining the briar at all: just sanding and then waing--it can have a peach, pinkish (almost cedar), fleshtone, or even golden look about it depending on the burl chosen. The colors it achieves when smoked really get dramatic.

8)

Kyle, do you have a picture reference of what those pipes look like?

George, knowing what goes in to the synthetic finishes I doubt I'd even attempt to put those anywhere near a pipe!

One of the issues I foresee here in Japan is their strict laws regarding the use of chemicals, and on the other hand I couldn't read a lick of the local language to save my life! I sure hope I can locate a supplier of alcohol based stains and not see my shipment snatched up by Japanese customs.

I ordered two pipe kits from Carey's Smokeshop, I'm envisioning a bulldog out of one, not sure what I'll do with the other yet. I'd supply a link but I'm not allowed to yet.

Pipe Makers Emporium at pipemakers.org is a good one-stop shop for whatever you may need. Shop around, though. Your mileage may vary.

Excellent, I've got them bookmarked! Thank you!

I'll edit this and beg the question, what effect would aged whiskey have on briar?
Yall mentioned alcohol stains and wood, whiskey ages in wood, so I'm wondering if this would have any noteworthy effect on a briar pipe?

-Russ

:scratch: Beats me, bro. Try it and let us know. Like many pipers, I use high-proof rum to clean my pipes. Any added flavor from that is pretty negligible.

I've got some Jim Beam sitting around here somewhere, I'll see where that takes me when those two pipes get here. Doing some research online, there are tips and tricks on how to remove whiskey stains from hardwood floors so it's gotta be marginal at least.

Maybe soak it in whiskey for a while or apply with a cotton ball and burnish it a little. Hmm... if only I had thought of this sooner!

I'll keep this topic rolling...

Out of curiosity, the majority of pipe bowls are 3/4" wide - correct? I'm only asking because I'm fixing to buy a couple of routers and some sandpaper from Lowes and have it shipped out here. I've got a selection of 3 router bits, and the largest I've found so far is 3/4"; unless one of yall know where I can order larger if needed.

Scratch that, just figured it out on Boswell's website...

-Russ

alcohol stains are pigments in denatured alcohol, not Jim Beam or wine or something like that.

rev

the rev":vfablqru said:
alcohol stains are pigments in denatured alcohol, not Jim Beam or wine or something like that.

rev
No I know that Rev, just playing around until I figure out how to get these dyes shipped to Japan.

you can do a finish with red wine vinegar, and put rusty nails in it for a week. Then you coat the pipe with tea, and then the acid dye. Then you can lightly sand with 400 grit or higher to bring out the lighter grains. This however is chemical reaction stain, and is not as reliable. Sometimes it can be incredibly stunning however.

rev

Ahhh... that sounds really interesting Rev, thanks for that!

I may end up using that if I can't locate or import any leather dyes on the island.