What do you use to light your pipe?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
I love to use wooden matches but when I run out of wood, I use one of my Zippos. One is an ordinary pipe lighter and the other is fitted with a Thunderbird butane insert. Both are OK but the "paraffin" job is more effective for outdoor usage.

I also have a Peterson Old Boy imitation which I only use at our pipeclub meetings for bragging purposes!! The "P" for Peterson also happens to be my initial. Some guys believe it's a personalised item and I do not argue with them about it!!!!

I usually use Diamond wood matches at home, when not at home I usually have a Zippo or a Bic.

Matches + Nevada wind = :no:

The IMCO, Zippo, Djeep or Bic work alright for me.

huffelpuff":c04x1kzr said:
Usually my Nimrod Commander.

Jim
Those are good lighters. I've got one and much prefer it to my Zippo. Mine is almost 30 years old and still going strong.

williamcharles":6qwydp1u said:
huffelpuff":6qwydp1u said:
Usually my Nimrod Commander.

Jim
Those are good lighters. I've got one and much prefer it to my Zippo. Mine is almost 30 years old and still going strong.
There are two on eBay right now!!! Auction ends in 36 minutes time

Luckily the lighter acquisition disorder has not struck here yet. Every once in a while there is a tinge of Old Boy envy creeping over me. The price tag is all the motivation I need to keep using a $10 pipe lighter.

I use my Colibri lighter that Mummy dearest picked up for me last Christmas. Works better than a lot of butane lighters I've had. I prefer matches, but hate to see the pile that's left after I smoke a bowl. :shock:

If I'm home or it's reasonably calm outside I use a Corona Old Boy. If it's windy I break out the Zippo with the pipe insert.

Grayhound":m55j5yjv said:
If I'm home or it's reasonably calm outside I use a Corona Old Boy. If it's windy I break out the Zippo with the pipe insert.

+1

Wooden matches at home and when "out" my old Dunhill Rolalite fluid lighter I bought back in Hong Kong in 1969. It's a fluid lighter similar to the Rolagas lighters they make today:

DunhillRollalite-1.jpg

Zippo pipe lighter for the most part. Hopefully the Ronson Varaflame from Rob will be its replacement (looks like it arrives tomorrow)!

Zippo 90% of the time. Wooden matches - only when I'm inside in my basement/garage - about 9%. Mother-in-laws bic - because the Zippo always seems to die on me when we're staying with her for the weekend.

I use this, and have my Zippo as backup.

I actually prefer it to my old Tsubota, believe it or not.