What happened to Katie

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huffelpuff

Reaction score
My apologies to everyone for not posting about this earlier but it's still a bit too fresh for me to be able to talk about what happened without getting really upset. To avoid having to type this all out again I'll just post a screenshot of my conversation with Ron. Thank you all for your understanding and the outpouring of support already has been a big help.

Again thank you all
Jim

PS.

It occurs to me that some of you may not know about my daughter. So brief background for you.

Katie is 17 now. She was born with only one kidney that never worked. She started dialysis when she was a week old. She received her first transplant when she was two. She rejected that kidney three years later. She went back on dialysis after that. She had her second transplant just over two years ago. Unfortunately about three months after the transplant she contracted the BK virus. 80% of the transplant patients who get the BK virus lose their transpłant.

Jim thank you for the update. I will continue to keep you all in my prayers brother.

Jim thanks for the background and update. Many prayers for Katie and your family from my family.

Prayers for Katie and your family. She sounds like a strong young lady.

You are a very strong man Jim, and Katie is an amazing trooper with great strength. My best thoughts and positive energy to you all.

I can only imagine how rough that has been for you and Katie. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family Jim.

Learned of this event a little while back, and have continued to send my prayers to Katie, Jim, and his family in this time of need.

You've got a tough little gal there Jim my friend. May your Katie continue to improve and hopefully at some point soon she'll get just the right kidney that will be a perfect match so she can get off dialysis once and for all.

:heart:

Cheers,

RR

My best thoughts for you, Katie and your family. She sounds like an extraordinary individual and someone with remarkable spirit. Will light a stick of incense and send good thoughts your way. Please keep us posted when you can. My warmest wishes and thoughts.

Tom

Thank you my friends! Your prayers and good wishes are much appreciated.

Katie had another surgery this morning to try and save the A/V fistula in her right arm. It clotted off when her heart stopped. The Dr was optimistic going in thinking no more than 30 minutes tops. Ended up being 2&1/2 hours. He puts the prognosis at 50/50. The next 3 days will tell if they were able to save it or not. Back onto the baby aspirin to try and help keep it from clotting again. Your continued prayers are appreciated.

Jim

Good grief......

Best wishes to all involved... I do not envy your position, Sir..

I will light a candle for y'all, sending you good energy...

Take care

My thoughts are with with all as always Jim. What an amazing young lady Katie is. A true inspiration.

Hi everybody. Haven't been posting much lately but just wanted to touch base and see how Katie is doing? My apologies if there have been updates I missed.

Tom, Katie is doing so much better now that the kidney is out. She did have a few bumps in the road trying to save the A/V fistula in her arm. We were extremely lucky and its growing fairly rapidly. Haven't had a whole lot of time myself lately as she is on summer break now and just wants to go all the time. She's going to be the death of me what with all the things she does, biking, skateboarding, roller blading and doing a paper route. I'm just relieved that she's doing so well. The big hurdle now is getting her past the anger over what happened. It really does take a toll on a kid to deal with these near misses.

Hope things are going well for you my friend, really makes my day to see you around.

Again thanks to everyone for their kindness and well wishes.

Jim

Hi Jim. Can't tell you how much that please me to hear! So happy for you and your entire family. Please keep me/us posted on heat will inevitably be a long journey. My best wishes. - Tom

Really great news. I'll keep you, Katie, and the rest of your family in my prayers. :)

AJ