What is a good brand of dress shoe?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cole Haan if you're looking for shoes that hold up to being worn more than just to funerals and weddings.

I own a pair of Allen Edmonds leather brogues (Rough collection Mctavish) and love them. They are very well built, comfortable and go well with dress slacks or jeans. The only downfall is the leather sole, which is nice but not suitable for everyday street wear. Tricker's of England makes a great handmade shoe and offers a rubber sole option in addition to the traditional leather sole.

https://www.shoehealer.co.uk/Tricker_s/Country_Collection/Tricker_s_Keswick_1_C_Shade_Calf_2303.html

Nordstroms has a suede buck in their 1901 shoe collection that is amazingly well built and comfortable (I can wear em all day!) for only $99. Probably the best dress shoe value I've ever found.

Allen-Edmonds for sure but I'm partial to Johnston and Murphey. Have worn 'em for years and have a pair of cap toed 6 eyelet oxfords I've wornfor over 20 years now. Like A-E, they are not cheap, but well worth the $s.

Thanks guys. I knew I could get a lot of good suggestions from you. Now I just have to choose!!

Try Unstructured by Clarks. They are crazy comfortable. My husband and I both have a pair.

AE and JM, in my experience, are the best quality that is commonly available in the US. But I'm not sure what you mean by "dress." Like Paul Newman and airline pilots, I like to cheat and wear black roper boots everywhere. They seem to go with jeans OR a suit. Frye makes a good one. Justins are acceptable. The Wesco Morrison, custom-made, is awesome, though much heavier and heavier-looking than the other two.

Most of the suggested brands are ok, but why hasn't anyone mentioned
Crockett & Jones or Alden of New England?

http://www.crockettandjones.com/
http://www.aldenshoe.com/

I have a pair from each and hands down my best shoes, the C&J however is Cordovan leather but it's the construction that is just as important.
All my other shoes are Allen Edmonds with one Santoni monk strap, both great shoe companies.

If you're looking for a more versatile shoe, I'd get brown and limit blacks to interviews and formal occasions.
The Allen Edmonds Park Avenue is a great choice for when those occasions come up.

Aldens. I have a pair if Alden oxfords that are 20 years old and still polish up just fine. Comfy too.

Also -- believe it or not -- check Cabelas to see if they still sell the H.S. Trask oxford. Made out of buffalo hide, I think. Inexpensive, light and comfy. All function, nothing stylish about them.

Hmm, no offense, but if I spend that kind of money on a pair of shoes, I wouldn't want cemented construction. I like a sewn on sole, which can be resoled. I have a pair of Florsheim wingtips (pebble grain) that have been resoled four times ($40/resole, I switch from leather to oil-resistant rubber for working in restaurants). I'm brutal on my shoes and can wear out a pair of leather soles in 6 months to a year. I can usually find Nunn-Bush or Florsheim wingtips on sale at the "back of the rack", etc. at shoe outlets. I bought a pair of Florsheims at JC Penny's this past February, they were $165 on sale for $19. I didn't think too long about that deal.

It'd not just the construction, but the materials and type of last the shoemaker uses.

Allen Edmonds, Alden, Church's, Crockett & Jones, all use the finest materials, cork and Goodyear welts.
Not that price is guaranteed good stuff. Ive bought Allen Edmonds for $150 and even $100, and they've outlived my first toe cap which were florsheims. Company reputation is important so long as it's not a fashion show shoe.

Living in nyc grants me access to the best cobblers, but resoling costs anywhere between $100 - $150, but these shoes will last me decades.

Keep them nurtured, polished and don't forget good cedar shoe trees. Also buy two pairs so that you can let one pair rest for 24hrs.

This is the best advice you can get and I know a thing or two about good shoes.

Bentbulldog is right. Allen Edmonds last for a long time while looking good. I recommend them highly. Mephisto is another brand I like. They don't look as good, but they are more comfortable...

<< . . . don't forget good cedar shoe trees . . .>>

Thank you, kindly. When I say this I get that "Shoes grow on trees?" kinda look. Buy quality, take care of it, use it up.

Wow, I guess we're fortunate to live out in the country. The guy that does my shoes is a Mennonite farmer, who also does shoe repair/saddlery on the side.