What is a military bit?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lupulus

Reaction score
Sorry if this seems like an obvious question, but oddly, I can't seem to find an answer and I am a curious newbie. I can't find an answer when searching online or here on the forums. I have seen pipes both in the books I have been reading and advertised online as having a "military bit," and often in combination with "push-pull." So is it just a style like a saddle bit, or some special method of connecting the bit to the shank? Thanks - Zach

A military bit (aka army mount) is one where the tenon of the stem attaches to the shank at a metal-covered socket.

The Peterson Army pipes are a nice illustration of these: like so.

I've heard two stories as to the etymology of the term:
1. It originates from a hasty pipe repair in the field of combat, possibly using a spent brass round.
2. The style was designed to be broken down quickly in the field, e.g. in case of the need for total darkness or quick movement. The metal fitment allows you to remove the stem from a hot pipe with less stress on the wood.

Thanks, that does help, especially with the pictures as an illustration. With a little bit more diligent searching, I found a page at pipedia (a site I just discovered and is blowing my mind with how much information is there) that has a brief explanation as well, but no illustration.