What Is It?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
OK Brothers need a little help. The pipe is a Collector GBD New Standard. I see this shape listed all the time as a Poker but Pipedia shows this shape as a Cherrywood. Poker or Cherrywood what say Ye? :) 

AJ

Hmm, I'm leaning more towards the cherrywood camp. Mainly due to the angled bowl and bent stem. (thought a poker could have both features too)
I think the distinction between a poker and cherrywood is quite blurred to most and overall, a subjective matter.
Nonetheless, this is a great looking pipe. The clear coloured stem really is the icing of the cake!

Haven't heard that designated term "friendly" in years. Thanks for that Rad. Now I have to follow that auction to see what the finalized price will be, it's an amazing cross cut.

I can't make out the model number clearly but here's a reference for ya for ALL GBD pipes made up till '81. There's a link to another page of model numbers on the firs paget . It's kinda like the Bulldog/Rhodesian nomenclature, Poker/Cherrywood, which one do YOU want to call it ! :twisted: 

http://www.perardua.net/pipes/GBDlines.html

Beautiful pipe, Aj.  

My understanding was that "cherrywood" was a term used for the Ropp Cherrywood style of pipe...just what I have heard...don't make it right.

Cherrywood to me.

I take it that poker is a more general term for a flat-bottomed pipe it seems, and a Cherrywood shape is a type of poker pipe. The Cherrywood name surely derives, as noted above, from the Ropp type pipe, two individual pieces of branch intersecting.

All the shape charts that I am familiar with don't mention cherrywood. Neither is it a known GBD shape. So, at least when it was made, it was a poker.

Regardless, how does it smoke? If it doesn't smoke well, then I could come up with another name for it. :)

docwatson":q6vbdqu7 said:
Oh well, the auction ended last September. :( 
I was smoking it last night. I thought it was a great find. :) 

AJ

monbla256":srevnucp said:
I can't make out the model number clearly but here's a reference for ya for ALL GBD pipes made up till '81. There's a link to another page of model numbers on the firs paget . It's kinda like the Bulldog/Rhodesian nomenclature, Poker/Cherrywood, which one do YOU want to call it ! :twisted: 

http://www.perardua.net/pipes/GBDlines.html
Thanks for the link Michael. :) 

AJ

Geoff":w3sg5g5q said:
All the shape charts that I am familiar with don't mention cherrywood.  Neither is it a known GBD shape.  So, at least when it was made, it was a poker.  

Regardless,  how does it smoke?  If it doesn't smoke well, then I could come up with another name for it.  :)
Geoff, Check this out. :) 

AJ
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe_Shapes

That is a cherrywood. the difference is that a poker has a straight stem while the crerrywood has a bend

ajn27511":6vnsieqm said:
I was smoking it last night. I thought it was a great find. :) 
AJ
A great find indeed, what a great crosscut grain.:cheers: :cheers: 

Cherrywood!
But well, in the end, you can put tobacco in it and smoke it, so it must be a pipe!;)