What is your favorite aromatic??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotties22

Reaction score
I am looking for some new tobacco for my husband. He really likes tobaccos with a nice full flavor and a thick smoke. I like vanilla and sweet smelling tobacco. Any suggestions?

Scottie

I find Peterson Connoisseur's Choice hard to beat although I was recently put onto Rattray's Bagpipers Dream - it might take the number one spot.

Both have excellent room notes (Mrs Jers will testify to that - she's quick to tell me if the room note is good or bad). Both have little clumps of flake in he mixture and, to my taste, really interesting flavours when smoked. They both give a really pleasant sweet taste when smoked but not a cloying overpowering sweetness like some other blends I've tried.

That's my suggestions although I will qualify that by pointing out that there are people on this forum vastly more experienced than myself.

FWIW

Regards

Jers

Full and aromatic are two qualities not often found in combination, but a few suggestions for tasty aromatics:

Pipeworks and Wilke 191: best smelling and tasting vanilla on the market IMO

Pipeworks and Wilke Rumcake: another winner from P&W and my favorite rum aromatic

Bear in mind that while I recommend both of the above, and I do feel they have overall more fullness than your run of the mill aromatic...they are still mostly cavendish and in no way powerhouses.

Another suggestion is Essence of Vermont from 4noggins, which is a semi-aromatic blend with just a hint of maple, but it's mostly burley tobacco and perique. I don't know I've ever smoked it in company so I can't say whether others appreciate the smell or not however...but if you like the smell, he should appreciate the real tobacco flavors in the smoke.

Peterson Luxury Blend,,,good tobacco flavor, creamy with a pleasant aroma

McClelland Fragrant Mature Cake #2000,,,Good Virginia tobacco with a nice smell

Give "Hobbit's Weed" by Tewksbury & Co. a try. That was my first tobacco and I still love it even though I've tried dozens of others. Its great a great room note, smokes cool and tastes of cherries and vanilla. I've never heard a bad thing from anyone who has smoked this blend.

While I agree with Sloppy Joe above, Hobbit's Weed is great, I'd still recommend Tewkesburys Nosferatu slightly higher. I don't know if its technically an aromatic, we were discussing that and I don't think we came to an actual conclusion. But it is very pleasant to smoke, blended with anise which gives it a sweet and spicy taste.

You know, the best I have found is Black Cavendish, in particular those by Mac Baren and Pete Stokkebye.

Fantastic to smell before, during, and after smoking.

Thanks guys. Now I have a nice list to work with. I like to buy him some tobacco from time to time. He takes care of buying his own cigars, but the pipe tobacco I get to choose. :D

scotties22":26j6gel0 said:
Thanks guys. Now I have a nice list to work with. I like to buy him some tobacco from time to time. He takes care of buying his own cigars, but the pipe tobacco I get to choose. :D
Scottie - PM me your address and I'll send you a sample of Boswell's Christmas Cookie and a couple of others for him to try. This way he can try a few and decide which he likes before you buy them.

My personal favorite is "Captain Spice" (sold by Tinderbox) . It is a dark Cavendish accented with vanilla. The room note is very pleasing (I am told), and tastes excellent with a nice glass of port wine.

I really enjoy Vauen EspresooTabak .. available on smokingpipes.com it is one of my favorites at this time

james

Not much on aros here, but do enjoy an occasional bowl of Sammy G's Firedance and Chocolate Flake.

And just for fun Lakeland Brickle Fortissimo by Russ O. There's enough going on there to be a party in a pipe!

However, probably my fave would be humble Uhle's #255. It's pretty much burley with a light top dressing of licorice. Can't say one can taste the licorice as such, but it adds a nice dimension to a light and easy to smoke everyday pipe load.

Plus, it's what my late Pap smoked exclusively all the days I knew him as a pipe guy! For that reason alone it'll be good enough for me if it was good enough for my Pap!

:geek:

Cheers,

RR

i just emptyd at tin of mcclellands best of show and i thought it to be great.creamy maple type flavor and aroma.in fact i just orderd more.check out 4 noggins web store. :D

If you like the maple, give their Town Topic a try...better yet, go for Maple Cav from P&W or Essence of Vermont from 4noggins.

Storm_Crow":35q4p5pp said:
If you like the maple, give their Town Topic a try...better yet, go for Maple Cav from P&W or Essence of Vermont from 4noggins.
Agreed. In my not-too-distant former aro days, Town Topic was wonderful. I didn't find it maple-y, strangely, but it was alright. McC FMC 2000 is still my "dessert 'bacca" worth mentioning (if I haven't already).

8)

scotties22":p5hqymwv said:
I am looking for some new tobacco for my husband. He really likes tobaccos with a nice full flavor and a thick smoke. I like vanilla and sweet smelling tobacco. Any suggestions?

Scottie
My favorites are those produced over in Kendal!

Sounds like you're looking for Samuel Gawith's Firedance flake! It's a great medium/full flake with a wonderful aroma:

"...FireDance is Our Best Brown 6" Flake subtly flavored with a combination of Blackberry, Brandy and Vanilla. The smoke is a mild, cool experience with the Blackberry the predominant flavor, the Brandy in the background and rounded off with the Vanilla. A mild and fruity smoke with the strength of Best Brown and a very pleasing room aroma."

I also like Ennerdale flake :)