What is your favorite Overture?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.Elliot

Reaction score
One thing I absolutely enjoy is listening to a classical or baroque piece while enjoying my pipe. I have found that discovering new music can be acquired by asking others what their favorite piece is. This thread is focused on overtures, but any piece can be listed. I am currently enjoying some Franz Von Suppe, and in particular, his piece, Poet and Peasant Overture. So, what is your favorite piece?

LOL! We're playing that very von Suppe overture this week in the Philharmonic! I have the week off so I won't be there, but funny you should mention it just now.

What's fun to play and what's fun to listen to aren't always the same for me. The Shostakovitch Festive Ov. is a blast (pun intended) to play but a Mozart overture like Marriage of Figaro is really nice to listen to.

If you like the Poet and Peasant, check out his Overture for the Light Cavalry- same sorta thing...

Fav 'concert overture' would be the 'Russian Easter Overture'. To an actual opera, I'd have to go with 'La Boheme.'

Vivaldi's "Overture to Arsilda" is pretty neat, very "Vivaldi" in all ways, and I got a chance to play it in High School, it's a blast to go through. There's a very steady pace to it and excellent use of the entire orchestra.

MisterE":c6tw6aj0 said:
LOL! We're playing that very von Suppe overture this week in the Philharmonic!
I have always wanted to experience this piece live.

you guys went way off my radar. when you said overture the first thing i thought of was the overture played in the intermission of the movie "Jeremiah Johnson". i love that one!!!!

Off the radar, understatement of the year,,,, :affraid:

My mother used to play classical music constantly when I was growing up,,,,CONSTANTLY,,,and I guess I know a ton of them by ear, but to name them I have no clue. It's interesting now to hear a piece and recognize it,,,then discover what it is. I don't know about Volvo di, or the Easter egg overcharge, but I'll hum along if I hear it,,,

mark":x9ri9jzf said:
Off the radar, understatement of the year,,,, :affraid:

My mother used to play classical music constantly when I was growing up,,,,CONSTANTLY,,,and I guess I know a ton of them by ear, but to name them I have no clue. It's interesting now to hear a piece and recognize it,,,then discover what it is. I don't know about Volvo di, or the Easter egg overcharge, but I'll hum along if I hear it,,,
does this help?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0_XCs9Jy30c" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mark":krdeoyzo said:
I don't know about Volvo di, or the Easter egg overcharge, but I'll hum along if I hear it,,,
...I just got an image of a guy in a rabbit suit, selling eggs to depressed customers out of a square, smoking hulk of a crappy car... then agian, I'm nuts! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:lol!:

Kyle Weiss":9e3lcxbl said:
mark":9e3lcxbl said:
I don't know about Volvo di, or the Easter egg overcharge, but I'll hum along if I hear it,,,
...I just got an image of a guy in a rabbit suit, selling eggs to depressed customers out of a square, smoking hulk of a crappy car... then agian, I'm nuts! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:lol!:
But that's the cool thing about classical music: that you can listen to anything and imagine what you want! It "means", or evokes something different in everybody and it's all valid.

I rembember way back in high school I went to an all night party with some of my friends frome school. Some of them were from the stoner crowd but were all good guys. Let's just say that much beer was had and cigarrettes were not the only thing burning. Anyhow, as the evening went along and people started to slow down, I found the Ozawa recording of Sacre du Printemps (Rite of Spring) by Stravinsky and put it on. It's a powerful, raw piece and very evocative- almost primal. Most of these guys' exposure to music was not much beyond Ozzy at this point. As the piece played through I watched these guys shrink and freak as they felt the intensity of the music. After it finished they were literally worn out from having experienced something like that. All were amazed commenting that the had "no idea" etc.

Unfortunately, classical is considered inaccessable to many because they don't understand it at an intellectual level. Tht's too bad because it's about what you think and feel not a "critical study" in composition and performance. In a concert your mind is supposed to wander and go off into tangents- be it musical imagery, or whatever. My hope is that more people will begin to realize this. For the good of my profession, LOL!!

Wow - where to even begin. Ok I'll limit myself to:

Beethoven's 9th
Dvořák’s New World

Beethoven's three Leonore Overtures and Fidelio (all for the same opera). While you're at it, toss in Egmont.

Not forgetting Coriolanus, of course :D

:face:

Yak":yzak8nlr said:
Beethoven's three Leonore Overtures and Fidelio (all for the same opera). While you're at it, toss in Egmont.

Not forgetting Coriolanus, of course :D

:face:
I was thinking Berlioz's Overture to "The Judges of the Secret Court" might be a favorite..... :tongue:

Just joshin' ya!! :p :p

forsooth":yljus3z2 said:
Badass: William Tell
As a kid who loved The Lone Ranger,
that's the first that comes to mind.
"A fiery horse with the speed of light,
a cloud of dust and a hearty 'Hi-Yo Silver!'

Frank Zappa's The Yellow Shark, 2nd movement, "Overture".

WARNING!!

If you have conservative, traditional, or mainstream musical sensibilities,
it's probably best to just take your hand off the mouse,
back away from the computer, and move along.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WnZKSdGzxoE" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>​
newjok11.png