What is your favorite VaPar ?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonpuff

Reaction score
I'm new into VaPer's and wondering what others our there like.
I don't care for blends that are heavy on the perique and I don't care for blends that also include cavendish of artificial flavors.
I also prefer flakes, cakes, or broken flakes.

Sonpuff

Cornell & Diehl Bayou Morning Flake, Escudo and Blakeneys Bayou Slice from McClelland ...

but, I can't go without saying that two non-flakes, 4noggins Prairie Wind and Blakeneys Acadian Ribbon (also from McClelland) are among the best VA/Per choices I know of ...

Orlick Golden Sliced is what you're looking for. It meets your criteria perfectly and it is sooo good. Mmmm! :) 

AJ

I only smoke three, two of which are flkes and one a ribbon/shag cut. For the Flakes I'd recommend  Orlik Golden Sliced for a light VaPer and Comoy's Cask #4, bulk for a bit stronger. Prairie Winds is heavier with Perique but VERY smooth. And ALL of these are 'bacs you can STILL get and smoke  :twisted:  :twisted:

I agree with Tom. LNF has a pure tobacco taste. Many like Prairie Wind but I found it had a top dressing I did not care for. Many like the 4-noggins blendings but I don't particular care for their ideas for top dressing while others love them. Mc C is mostly in the same boat.

In the non-flakes, I enjoy Bayou Morning. C&D are blenders that I like who have any number that are just tobacco at the top.

I say this because I have the idea we might have similar taste -- looking for a plainer taste that reflects the tobacco.

Robert McConnell's Scottish Cake, followed closely by GLP's Fillmore

McClelland Beacon is my favorite VaPer. It is an excellent Virginia with (IMO) just the right amount of Perique. Beacon is in my top two tobaccos.
If Beacon is a little light in Perique for your taste, try Beacon Extra which is also very good.

For me it's Estoerica Dunbar. That's gonna be my smoke today. Very smooth, a little sweetness with the perfect mix of spice from the perique.

Thanks guys for your responses.
I guess I don't care for ribbons because it tends to burn too fast. Flakes....nice and sloooooow and tend to be a little cooler burning in the pipe. I've never gotten a one hour smoke out of a bowl of ribbon; which I suppose is OK if you don't have an hour.

sonpuff":iw8vgibn said:
I've never gotten a one hour smoke out of a bowl of ribbon;
You must either be smoking a lot smaller bowl than I do or you puff a lot faster ... I routinely get more than an hour ...

For me Long Golden Flake. It is cased with something but whatever it is, it works for me.

What is your favorite VaPar ?

Why, none other than McC 2015 with 15% added Perique! In fact I have some prepped right now!

icon_razz.gif

Med-full bodied, the Perique is omnipresent and in yer face!

:rabbit: 

OK so maybe you don't want this much P-weed based on your OP. Seems to me the stock 2015 would probably scratch that itch. It comes as a broken flake.

HTH

:geek: 

Cheers,

RR

p.s. a lot of other great suggestions on this thread!

Not sure if it would be classified as a strict VA/Per, but I have really been enjoying the MacBaren HH Acadian Perique lately. It truly offers a nice peppery spice from the perique, on a base of wonderful, full bodied, natural tobacco flavor comprised of Virginia's, Cavendish and Kentucky, if my memory serves me correctly.

C&D Kajun Kake.

The Perique is more plum-like than peppery. There is some unsweetened Cavendish that rounds out the flavor.

I have some in the cellar, and I'll be adding more.

TR page.

I am partial to Luxury Bullseye flake for the price; I enjoy Haddo's quite a bit, but I must say that as of late, my hands-down front runner is Exhausted Rooster. Beautiful supple flake that requires just a bit of drying and is truly sublime. Highly recommend it if you haven't tried it yet.

Today, it's St. James Woods. With so many Va/Pers having a much pronounced dose of the P-weed, I think St. James Woods is perfect. Sweet and mildly peppery. One has to appreciate McClelland's Virginias, though. Not all do. I think McClelland's Virginias are the best value out there.