What is your favorite winter coat?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
Are you a wool or down guy?
I have always liked wool ever since I wore a navy surplus pea coat as a kid.
Now I am trying down. I am sure that there are pros and cons of both.
I currently have a Patagonia 800 fill down sweater and a wool Filson wool jacket.
My current thoughts are that down is lighter weight, does a better job of holding in your body heat
but becomes a little uncomfortable if you go indoors. Wool has a great authentic look, keeps you warm if layered
and is more comfortable in doors.
Any thoughts?

I prefer Canvas with leather straps, just gives ya that all day cozy feeling.

One thing that I have learned over the years is that if a coat, whether it is wool, down or even canvas, fits then you should wear it.

I have an Eddie Bauer Goose down that I received as a gift back in the 70's while living in Wiz-gonsen. It's ridiculously warm and completely OTT for where I live now. But I'll never get rid of it.

It's great for temps in the low teens/below zero F. Yet kind of bulky as well. Pretty much overkill for my area 99% of the time.

Beyond that, it's an artificial fill winter jacket that gets me through. And I wear it from about late Oct- March or even April.

That plus long Johns from Sept/Oct through June. Seriously.

:bom:

Cheers,

RR

Richard Burley":8b29q7kx said:
Now, now. That's just Cart's smoking jacket.
Nah! That's my rain coat, the smoking jacket is red velvet diamond tuck with leather straps.

Brewdude":5mfw5uif said:
I have an Eddie Bauer Goose down that I received as a gift back in the 70's while living in Wiz-gonsen. It's ridiculously warm and completely OTT for where I live now. But I'll never get rid of it.

It's great for temps in the low teens/below zero F. Yet kind of bulky as well. Pretty much overkill for my area 99% of the time.

Beyond that, it's an artificial fill winter jacket that gets me through. And I wear it from about late Oct- March or even April.

That plus long Johns from Sept/Oct through June. Seriously.

:bom:

Cheers,

RR
Seriously, I use to have a Wilson Shearling that was so cozy ya couldn't feel anything in it except warm no matter what the weather but, like BD said, it was over kill and too warm for most weather. Ended up selling it and nowadays wish I had it back. :cry:

Mostly a blanket lined denim barn coat, but when it get's really cold a nice green L.L. Bean down parka w/down hood. Mostly need something to stop the damn wind we get up here on the plains works well. :twisted: :twisted: Ron I like your "strappy" jacket! It suits you well !! :twisted: :twisted:

A merino wool base layer and if it's dry a good quality goose down filled jacket. If it's wet I go for synthetic. You mention Patagonia Bub. In my opinion they're the finest outdoor clothing / gear brand there is. Extremely high quality, tested by top performing outdoor athletes, is made very sustainably, and the company has a work ethic that is very forward thinking. In my view Yvonne Chouinard is a legend. Quite pricey though!

I have two that I normally wear...

A standard type of wool peacoat (from Old Navy or American Eagle, they come in Tall Sizes) and a snowboarding style coat. Both are very warm, but the peacoat is the daily driver.

I have a 20 year old LL Bean "Flying Tigers" leather jacket with Thinsulate, that is pretty much my daily winter wear. I have a Gore-Tex Cabello's parka for the really bad weather. Those two get me thru the winter.

Lets walk down memory lane.
What coat did you wear as a kid in the winter?
I went to college in upper New York State in the early 60s.
My memory is a car coat, gloves and maybe a scarf.
I don't see how we survived without the stuff we have today.

Bub":c5t1z1id said:
Lets walk down memory lane.
What coat did you wear as a kid in the winter?
I went to college in upper New York State in the early 60s.
My memory is a car coat, gloves and maybe a scarf.
I don't see how we survived without  the stuff we have today.
Lordy, but I do remember car coats. I grew up in Canton in the 60's. Since I spent many Saturdays with my Dad as his tally man while he was scaling logs, I had an outdoor wardrobe mainly of wool.

Hi DG, I went to college at St Lawrence...Class of 64.
I still have nightmare about the winters.
In those days snow was on the ground after Thanksgiving and didn't leave until sometime after Spring.
The winters always made spring great but then there was mud.
I am sure that the students today stay warm and toasty and don't have to go to the Pretzel Bell to warm up.
I feel colder in the mid west because we have lots of humidity and wind.
On a nice winter day in Canton with the temp at -0 I was quite comfortable in my old car coat.
Bub

Cartaphilus":5rc95s2k said:
I prefer Canvas with leather straps, just gives ya that all day cozy feeling.

Cart, you're my kind of guy!

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

I am a fan of WOOL. Back about 2003 I ordered a coat from Bemidji Woolen Mills. When I called I was fortunate to speak with the owner, Bill Batchelder. I wanted a 100% wool jacket, opted for the caped front, back and shoulders. It is quite the coat. Since then I have had a couple of shirts made up from 100% wool. They work really well when working in the woods. I like the water repellant qualities and the fact they breathe, price is good as well.

Stinger