What kind of blend for Morta?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a new Morta Poker (Morta is carbon dated at 5500 yrs).

I've not had a Morta before and have heard it's a unique smoking experience. In what way is the experience unique?

Any info re what kind of blends are most compatible with the "unique smoking experience" of Morta would be appreciated.

My new Morta Poker:

DSC_0025%20copy_zpsolufrhks.jpg

I have a morta and tend to smoke lat blends & va blends in it. Both perform well in it IMO.

I've been a lucky dog several times recently.

Both the pipe and the price were just right.

Seems like a custom Morta like that should be going for twice what was being asked.

Blackhorse said:
Just ordered a new Morta Poker (Morta is carbon dated at 5500 yrs).

I've not had a Morta before and have heard it's a unique smoking experience. In what way is the experience unique?

Any info re what kind of blends are most compatible with the "unique smoking experience" of Morta would be appreciated.

Paladin Black Cherry...... :face: :face:

Very distinct differences from which bog the Morta came from and the kind of muck it was living, err dying in which makes some funk and others not so much.

I would do some heavy Lat in the funk and it should settle down in about 3 bowls, Pirate Kake or ODF or a high Vitamin N rope should bring it around. If the new one is biddable I'd give it a maiden voyage with your favorite VA, Morta is nearly the wood equivalent to meerschaum except once it cools, which is quickly, you can repack for another go, don't let it cake, if pushed too hard your fingers will let you know to slow down and it settles rather quickly.

It is very neutral once it evens out any funk and the full flavor of the tobacco shines like no tomorrow. Enjoy your new rack mate.
banjo

I find they have the tendency to heat up a little if you're not careful. Try some Dark Flake (I know you're fond of that) and cube it up. It's a little easier for me to keep the temperature down than with folded or rubbed out. FWIW.

Actually I just ordered a trio of Balkan/Oriental blends from Peretti's joint in Beantown...Royal Blend, Tashkent & Oriental #40. I also smoke GLP Samarra on occasion and tolerate it OK.  I think one of the Peretti blends...perhaps Tashkent would be a good bronco buster for the new "Count Mort-ula" Poker.

Count Mort-ula...the name of the new pipe...cause the thing just has Bela Lugosi written all over it.

DSC_0026%20copy_zpsaxdvy7bi.jpg

I have about 5 of them, dated from 4 to 8 thousand years. Each one smokes differently. (but then again, it's the same with briars) All of them are exceptional smokers if not counting the one that's heavily ghosted and the ghost doesn't seem to go away no matter what.

There are few things that can be said about mortas:

1. They heat up very quickly, due to high content of minerals (metal) in the wood. It's more thermal conductor than insulator.
2. They cool as quickly as they heat.
3. They smoke cleaner than briar, not as much as meerschaum, but close.
4. They get ghosted easily. DO NOT EVER smoke Lakelands in morta!!!!! You're gonna have a bad time. (personal experience)
5. They are more heat resistant than briar, you can develop cake, but not necessarily. I don't keep cake on mine, and it's ok.
6. In terms of weight they are lighter than briar, which is a good thing.
7. After the carnauba wax is gone, they retain the shine if polished well.

Aaaand that's about it.